Kings Island 2019 Discussion

BeeastFarmer

7 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Question for everyone. Now that we're in the month of June, are people liking the new fountains more or is it still mixed feelings? I was thinking once they started getting all the sprinklers running correctly that maybe people would like them more. I hear it's a big success with the new night time show though.

I was on the tower watching the fountain on Saturday, and 1/4 of the fountain was doing its thing, but the rest was just spraying. If they can get it working right, it's going to be very cool. 

7 hours ago, WindingSon said:

All I’m going to say is to watch our friends up north and south closely. 

I'm assuming you're alluding to some kind of issue that may shut down other B&M coasters to fix it as well. If that's the case, I'm not really surprised. Diamondback has been finicky this year. I've been to the park 2 times this season so far, and both times I went they were having problems with it all day. 

The whole issue with Mystic was certainly odd. I noticed the lift hill sound effects weren't working as soon as we started up the hill, and then when the shed didn't do its thing, I knew something had to be up. I did also notice, and maybe this was just me not being used to mystic, but when I rode it early in the morning it felt like it was flying. Significantly faster than I remembered it being. 

• Like 1

I'm curious if anyone is noticing more line-jumping this season? I went from seeing very few incidents last year, to seeing it like 4-5 times a visit this year. It's always the same, a group of teens are in line nearby me, and one of them stumbles up to the line entry and is called by their friends to jump in line with them. About a month ago I saw it 4 times in one line for Mystic Timbers, and then again maybe 20 minutes later 2 times at Diamondback. I'm sure it happens every year to an extent, but this year it really does seem like a bit of a problem.

It's always funny when it happens too because everyone they jumped in front of is always looking around like "Is somebody going to stop this person from cutting in front of me?!". Not that I blame them.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:39 AM, lifetimecoaster said:

I’m assuming you're alluding to some kind of issue that may shut down other B&M... Diamondback has been finicky this year. I've been to the park 2 times this season so far, and both times I went they were having problems with it all day. 

I just hope Rougarou isn’t down when I go to The Point later this month. I’ve accepted that Valravn won’t be getting off the ground for a while (which is unfortunate, but at least I can get pictures!), but I’m really looking forward to Rougarou. 

Edit: Sorry about corrupting the quote... I tried to bold the part I wanted to reference, but that was difficult; I ended up just cutting everything except for the part I wanted to reference.

5 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

I'm curious if anyone is noticing more line-jumping this season? I went from seeing very few incidents last year, to seeing it like 4-5 times a visit this year. It's always the same, a group of teens are in line nearby me, and one of them stumbles up to the line entry and is called by their friends to jump in line with them. About a month ago I saw it 4 times in one line for Mystic Timbers, and then again maybe 20 minutes later 2 times at Diamondback. I'm sure it happens every year to an extent, but this year it really does seem like a bit of a problem.

It's always funny when it happens too because everyone they jumped in front of is always looking around like "Is somebody going to stop this person from cutting in front of me?!". Not that I blame them.

I was in line at Auntie Ann's and there were about four people ahead of me. Two teen girls were just ahead of me. Then about six of their friends walked up and joined the line after a bit.  I got in line at 4 exactly, and at 4:20 a high school teacher came up and asked WTF, they were supposed to be at the bus at 4pm. He didn't make them leave the line and let them continue waiting! Then every kid ordered individually and every one of them had a drink order for a fruit slushy which apparently takes forever to make. It should not take half an hour for me to buy a single pretzel. My mother wanted it or else I would have been long gone.

Just now, DonnaFan said:

Then about six of their friends walked up and joined the line after a bit. 

"Line jumping can result in ejection from the park" Doesn't do anything unless there are people there to enforce it. Kings Island needs to step up their game this season, because it's becoming a problem. KI isn't LaRonde, CF should try to keep it that way.

At least as far as the food lines go, you gotta be stern and say something to them. In most cases, it is just teens who see their group as a whole and aren't taking paying separately into account. It can be bit harder in line for a ride because it usually happens when you are pretty far from the ride ops and by the time you've reached them, the jumpers have either been caught or have already ridden. 

I've also noticed that the more people who speak up about it the better. Every time I've seen someone ejected, it was when a bunch of people in line were vocal about it. 

Did another lightning strike hit the park early this morning? My mom and I drove past the park just now on Kings Island Drive and only saw Banshee and Eiffel Tower running. The only reason I ask is that my mother said there was a wicked thunderstorm around 1 am this morning.

4 hours ago, Joshua said:

At least as far as the food lines go, you gotta be stern and say something to them. In most cases, it is just teens who see their group as a whole and aren't taking paying separately into account. It can be bit harder in line for a ride because it usually happens when you are pretty far from the ride ops and by the time you've reached them, the jumpers have either been caught or have already ridden. 

I've also noticed that the more people who speak up about it the better. Every time I've seen someone ejected, it was when a bunch of people in line were vocal about it. 

I got lined jump by several people yesterday. I generally stand with both my arms on the queue rails so they can’t pass me. They caught me off guard this time as they tapped my shoulder and I let my hands off the rail and they pushed passed. Not sure what is with people and thinking they don’t have to wait in the line?  

Must've been a power issue. I can see the park from my place (just the top of Eiffel Tower and either Drop Tower/wind seeker I honestly dunno which) and my power was out when I got off work. It came back on @ 4, so very possible that was the case.

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I got lined jump by several people yesterday. I generally stand with both my arms on the queue rails so they can’t pass me. They caught me off guard this time as they tapped my shoulder and I let my hands off the rail and they pushed passed. Not sure what is with people and thinking they don’t have to wait in the line?  

Wow I've never had someone push past me like that. I have had people try to pull the cutting by inches thing in places where the line starts to get kind of jumbled though like the top of the stairs on DB. Most of the time when I see people jump the lines, they just cut through all the empty switchbacks to get to their group. I always want to say something but it feels super awkward because no one else does.

Hey all, Island Nights in Soak City is starting up again soon! It seems to be like it will be similar to last year’s with a live band and slide ERT. Now, I know HiFi Honey will be performing at the last two nights (the event runs for three Friday Nights in July- the 12th, 19th and 26th), but does anyone on here know who the band for the first night will be. I’m hoping it will be 3 Piece Revival as they played last year (and they rock!), but I’d love to know for sure.

EDIT: Here’s a link: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/events/island-nights

13 hours ago, fryoj said:

I've always wanted to just jump out of line and go get in front of those people. What are they going to do, report you for doing what they did? 

Or physically assault you. It went through my mind. I was solo and am very small and the cutters were rowdy high school boys who were huge and obviously didn't GAF about getting in trouble with their teachers or getting ejected by the park because they'd already missed their meetup time. It probably wouldn't have happened but every so often security has to deal with an assault or disorderly conduct in the park.

I did witness two young kids go on the fast pass lane on Adventure Express. The ride separator caught them and made the stand in the stand by queue.  I actually felt bad for the two boys because I think they actually may have went in the Fast Lane queue by accident but I am glad they are checking. 

56 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I did witness two young kids go on the fast pass lane on Adventure Express. The ride separator caught them and made the stand in the stand by queue.  I actually felt bad for the two boys because I think they actually may have went in the Fast Lane queue by accident but I am glad they are checking. 

Oh you better believe they'll be checking for the wristbands they charge like $80 on top of admission for. 

52 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I have seen it multiple times when people use Fast Lane without the bands. 

I believe you I've just never seen that. Every time I see someone go through fast pass the op does that little wrist gesture like "let me see em"

Very rarely do the ops not ask to see my band. Course I usually have it ready to be flashed anyway. Some just give me a headbob as I usually have my wrist up to show it. I actually saw them turn away a couple from the Fast Lane on The Beast. I assume they had the non-plus version because I saw they had wristbands. I'm sure it happens though because on Saturday there was no op on Invertigo and I was the only one in Fast Lane so I just went on. There was a big line in GP, so perhaps they were doing something in that direction?

• Like 1

I agree; lines were not bad at all (well, except Flight of Fear's line looked crazy, so I didn't do that)! I got there around 11 and got on Delirium and Bat twice as well as Beast, Blue Racer, Scrambler, Diamondback, Invertigo and Mystic Timbers. Also got to go up on the Effial Tower, saw Gravity and enjoyed Carnivale for about an hour or so before leaving(see my thoughts in the Carnivale thread!)! Finally, I ran into a few friends, including @malem and a few others.

One thing that consistently disappoints me about KI is the lack of maintenance when it comes to upkeep like painting. There's peeling paint on the handrails outside Snoopy 500 and there's badly peeling paint on a slide and the handrail to that slide in the little kid area of Soak City. Like multiple layers showing through as it peels. It looks really old and neglected.

37 minutes ago, DonnaFan said:

One thing that consistently disappoints me about KI is the lack of maintenance when it comes to upkeep like painting. There's peeling paint on the handrails outside Snoopy 500 and there's badly peeling paint on a slide and the handrail to that slide in the little kid area of Soak City. Like multiple layers showing through as it peels. It looks really old and neglected.

Honestly I feel like the park looks better than it has in a long time. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DonnaFan said:

This is my first time back in about two decades. Looks like I picked a good season to return!

I mean honestly the Paramount days were probably worse than you remember. It was all cracked asphalt and broken theming. There's still work to be done but I feel like CF has really cleaned the place up.

• Like 2