Kings Island 2019 Discussion

BeeastFarmer

10 hours ago, WhatTheBlazes said:

Diamondback is closed today. Anybody on here know why? Lame way to close the season out...

I did NOT hear from the park, so  just a guess:

Maybe they found an issue during morning testing and it did not make sense to fix for the remainder of just 1 day.

• Like 1

Yeah, is it just me or doesn't it seem like Diamondback has had a handful of days where it wouldn't open at all for a day or two this year and last year?
I have made multiple visits where DB has been down, including the night of the Orion announcement. I was hoping the whole time that they wouldn't mention how reliable B&M is, considering our first hyper was down that day haha.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

Yeah, is it just me or doesn't it seem like Diamondback has had a handful of days where it wouldn't open at all for a day or two this year and last year?

I feel like DB has been a slight exception to the rule that B&M's are supposed to be reliable.   Outside of their flying coasters, I haven't heard of a B&M with the frequency of problems that DB seems to rack up.  Obviously, its not super bad and DB has been a fine ride, but sometimes it does leave you scratching your head. 

• Like 4

Anectodal evidence is not data, but...

In my one day visit to CP earlier this year Raptor went down multiple times in that same day, and neither closing was wind-related...

Really, I think the issue here is that were conflating "rarely" breaking down with never breaking down.

I would say rides at your home park are always going to seem to run into more issues than their respective peers at other parks, because you'll hear about it every time they do. Who knows? Does Nitro, Raging Bull, Behemoth, Intimidator etc. really have any less downtime than Diamondback. Or is it just that when they go down we don't hear about it, since most of us do not frequent those parks as much as KI.

Certainly, I suppose anything is possible, since at the end of the day, their all just machines, like any other ride. But given the level of quality control that goes into these rides, paired with the fact that they're not "one-off" coasters really in any way, I just have a hard time believing Diamondback is somehow any less reliable than its counterparts.

But like I said, maybe it is. But if it is, then one would most certainly have question why?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I feel like DB has been a slight exception to the rule that B&M's are supposed to be reliable.   Outside of their flying coasters, I haven't heard of a B&M with the frequency of problems that DB seems to rack up.  Obviously, its not super bad and DB has been a fine ride, but sometimes it does leave you scratching your head. 

With all of its problems this season alone, I've been worrying about its longevity at the park. Will it make it to 30 years like Vortex did?

And while I can't speak on the veracity nor really comment as I'm not all that into the minutiae of Universal, I believe there's quite the strong rumor out there that the true reason for Dragon Challenge's removal wasn't much past simply JK Rowling demanding its removal. She hated the ride existing in her land, supposedly (and the licensing would give her that much power I guess?)

But at the same time, its said here that popularity had decreased substantially ever since the dueling aspect was rid of in 2011. So I think that could have been the main factor. 

I never rode the ride, and it certainly looked like a lot of fun, but Hagrid's appears to be a proper replacement, in my view.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...