Jump to content
BeeastFarmer

Kings Island 2019 Discussion

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, upstop said:

I’ve never understood why the park hasn’t taken advantage of selling ride related products near the exits of rides. I would think a small kiosk near the exits would make a lot of money. The Beast used to sell T-shirt’s etc at its exit. Diamondback does and Banshee used to. Even during Haunt they should be selling Haunt attraction related T-shirts.

I agree....I truly would like to see more merch...more diversified merch.

At one point I asked someone at the park why there wasn't merch for Racer or the other coasters...the answer was it didn't sell enough to justify it. I still think it would sell.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I agree....I truly would like to see more merch...more diversified merch.

At one point I asked someone at the park why there wasn't merch for Racer or the other coasters...the answer was it didn't sell enough to justify it. I still think it would sell.

I'd buy a vintage-style Racer shirt in a heartbeat. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to visit for the first time this year and was very impressed with the level of detail across the minor park updates.

I did have a very poor experience with the in-park wifi. My phone would not stay connected, so I had to keep re-connecting every time I wanted to use wifi. I was also not able to pick up the network in areas throughout the park that never gave me issues in the past. Has anybody else run into problems with the wifi?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have been pretty critical of the food service in the past, but tonight I have to give credit where credit is due.  The food service so far this season is really good for this time of year.  Props to the food department for the improvements.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, coasterfanatic2012 said:

I was able to visit for the first time this year and was very impressed with the level of detail across the minor park updates.

I did have a very poor experience with the in-park wifi. My phone would not stay connected, so I had to keep re-connecting every time I wanted to use wifi. I was also not able to pick up the network in areas throughout the park that never gave me issues in the past. Has anybody else run into problems with the wifi?

Yes exactly. I blame the crappy WiFi on so many people trying to access it. Also, I don’t think it’s accessible everywhere in the park; for example, I can’t connect down by The Bat. I-Street seems to be the WiFi place for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would accept that explanation but there weren’t many people there yesterday, and it has supported much larger crowds without fail in the past.

I was having issues finding the network all over the outskirts of the park... near The Beast, Vortex/WindSeeker, obviously by The Bat. Anywhere near the outskirts.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that; that’s really unfortunate! This iPod I’m typing on now lives and dies by WiFi lol. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was at Kenwood Towne Center the other day and flawlessly played Pokemon Go as the WiFi was amazing (and plentiful). Still haven’t tried out the WiFi at the zoo yet; wonder if it’s decent or not... Regardless, I know I’ll have a good time, though. ^_^

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll be in the park tomorrow on sunday, does anyone know if Delirium is gonna be running? From the look of the live feed it’s been down the past couple days. It’s my favorite flat ride. Is there anything else that won’t be running? Anyone have any insight ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MDMC01 said:
Yes exactly. I blame the crappy WiFi on so many people trying to access it. Also, I don’t think it’s accessible everywhere in the park; for example, I can’t connect down by The Bat. I-Street seems to be the WiFi place for me.


The Bat has always been terrible...
But near the end of last season the Wi-Fi required the opening of a website before it would connect... And if you turn off the screen, it disconnects and you need to start over.

Early last season, and prior, you didn't have to wait for the webpage to load to connect...
It's not like they get your email address or anything, so I'm unsure why the change was needed... But it makes it hard to play Pokemon go on the Wi-Fi... Which is one of our favorite places to play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

4 hours ago, babybackbeast said:
I’ll be in the park tomorrow on sunday, does anyone know if Delirium is gonna be running? From the look of the live feed it’s been down the past couple days. It’s my favorite flat ride. Is there anything else that won’t be running? Anyone have any insight ?


I rode Delirium last night... Maybe around 8pm... It was running well then.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 10:55 PM, Theoutdoorkid107 said:

Did anyone get a Beast t-shirt? I tried but the line was massive and I figured their was no way I could have managed.

I received a Beast shirt. When the line opened that day, I was standing by the Whitewater canyon sign. Sorry to hear about your luck that day. You almost had to run with everyone to have a chance.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chuck norris said:

But near the end of last season the Wi-Fi required the opening of a website before it would connect... And if you turn off the screen, it disconnects and you need to start over.

Early last season, and prior, you didn't have to wait for the webpage to load to connect...

This is exactly what was going on. It makes essentially it unbearable to use unless you leave your phone on all day (which is not realistic). 

Hopefully the park is aware of how inconvenient this is for guests and is looking into it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went yesterday and had a great time! Thanks to @malems speed walking, we were able to get first train, front row for Beast ERT. Also, Night Rides on Invertigo/Beast/Vortex/Adventure Express/Drop Tower were pretty cool. Finally, I saw HiFi Honey twice and they were awesome, of course!

That back half of Coney looks beautiful with the Antique Cars, but the other car ride (Backlot) is a real eyesore. I like that they coexist now, but still... Also, as a note, front seat of Vortex has awkward transitions, but that’s to be expected of a 31-year old Arrow. Finally, Invertigo was actually enjoyable as I sat in a different seat then normal (back row, but at the seat closer to the exit rather than the entrance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This is exactly what was going on. It makes essentially it unbearable to use unless you leave your phone on all day (which is not realistic). 

Hopefully the park is aware of how inconvenient this is for guests and is looking into it.

Given that this started last season, my guess is that they know... But maybe they want you to see their website or maybe that it's just the way their IT is setup now...

I'd encourage everyone to log their concern with guest services... But I'm assuming they already know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites

I experienced the WiFi captive portal issue yesterday.

Even though you only have to enter your name and e-mail one per season, the system requires that you visit a (blank) login page each time you sign into the network - which should be once per visit. The problem seems to be that sessions are expiring out too quickly on the gateway, so your phone has to visit this page far too often. Even if your phone stays on all day, it will go out of range while riding most coasters and in some areas such as The Bat's queue.

As a workaround, on a newer phone with the latest updates, look out for the network sign-in required device notification, and tap it to get back online. Older phones may require you to open a web browser to a non-secure, non-cached (http, not https) website to get directed to the login portal. Nearly all websites are secure and/or cached these days, so it's best to bookmark a special connectivity check page such as http://connectivity-check.ubuntu.com

The WiFi worked really well last season, so hopefully they get the problem fixed as this season gets underway.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the FunPix video on Mystic Timbers something new this year? I downloaded my pic after a ride like usual and then noticed they added a video with the animated tree as we coming over an airtime hill. Pretty cool and did not see that last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sol44 said:

Is the FunPix video on Mystic Timbers something new this year? I downloaded my pic after a ride like usual and then noticed they added a video with the animated tree as we coming over an airtime hill. Pretty cool and did not see that last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they've had it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

I don’t think you’re supposed to be in the fountain! emoji23.pngemoji1658.png
 

Don't go in the fountain. I repeat, don't go in the fountain --- go in the fountain! Go in the fountain! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

I don’t think you’re supposed to be in the fountain! emoji23.pngemoji1658.png

836041f930e5e675e8f60a73cd5dbbc9.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to get them cameras and send them to the giga area since they clearly don't have to follow the rules. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, malem said:

I experienced the WiFi captive portal issue yesterday.

Even though you only have to enter your name and e-mail one per season, the system requires that you visit a (blank) login page each time you sign into the network - which should be once per visit. The problem seems to be that sessions are expiring out too quickly on the gateway, so your phone has to visit this page far too often. Even if your phone stays on all day, it will go out of range while riding most coasters and in some areas such as The Bat's queue.

As a workaround, on a newer phone with the latest updates, look out for the network sign-in required device notification, and tap it to get back online. Older phones may require you to open a web browser to a non-secure, non-cached (http, not https) website to get directed to the login portal. Nearly all websites are secure and/or cached these days, so it's best to bookmark a special connectivity check page such as http://connectivity-check.ubuntu.com

The WiFi worked really well last season, so hopefully they get the problem fixed as this season gets underway.

Thanks for that info.

I didn’t understand a word of it. :D

Issues continued today. WiFi kept taking me to a blank login screen, like @malem described. It would just sit there and do nothing. 

LTE didn’t work at all. I think the WiFi issue was taxing the network too much. In fact, it said “no cellular network” a couple of times, which is a message I hadn’t seen before. This was with Sprint. Since doing the upgrades to their tower near the water park the worst case scenario is slower than usual speeds on busy days. My friend has AT&T and his was at least useable. 

If the park wants to have social media as part of their marketing plan then they need to be on their ISO (or whoever engineers their network) like white on rice until this is fixed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

^ The WiFi worked well enough for me to stream high-definition video on Saturday. The only issue was having to reconnect almost every time I pulled my phone out.

The blank login screen should stay up for less than a second before directing you to KI's mobile website. If the login screen sits there and does nothing, there's probably a connection issue.

Considering the number of teenagers in one spot today with the school-group heavy crowds, I'm not surprised that networks couldn't keep up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, malem said:

^ The WiFi worked well enough for me to stream high-definition video on Saturday. The only issue was having to reconnect almost every time I pulled my phone out.

The blank login screen should stay up for less than a second before directing you to KI's mobile website. If the login screen sits there and does nothing, there's probably a connection issue.

Considering the number of teenagers in one spot today with the school-group heavy crowds, I'm not surprised that networks couldn't keep up.

Yep. I’ve noticed when it works it works well. Especially since very few people were likely on it with the connectivity issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went up late Saturday for the first time this year with my daughter.  International Street looks great, I think the fountain, once completed, will be an upgrade from what we had.  

We did our usual "sad coaster tour" of Racer, Adventure Express, and The Bat.  Everything was actually working on AE, for the first time in 10 years it seemed!  What a fun coaster in the dark!  

The Blue Racer was actually running?  Yes!  First time riding that one in years as well.  Great ride again in the dark.  

The Bat was The Bat, still not worth the walk back.  

On another note, Mystic Timbers is such a great coaster, seemed faster in the rain/mist.  

I didn't get to get my Beast ride in the dark and rain, as it was down.  Banshee might be taking over as best night time ride...

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright so while visiting the park this weekend my fiance picked up a little Kings Island Pamplet to look at while we were trying to get my phone back...... Upon reading it she asked me about Island Nights, I have never heard of it before but based on the description it seems like that glow party thing that they do at CP. So today with some extra time i jump on Kings Islands website to check it out some more but i didnt see anything about it on there. Anyone of any additional info on it?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DubVLegend said:

Alright so while visiting the park this weekend my fiance picked up a little Kings Island Pamplet to look at while we were trying to get my phone back...... Upon reading it she asked me about Island Nights, I have never heard of it before but based on the description it seems like that glow party thing that they do at CP. So today with some extra time i jump on Kings Islands website to check it out some more but i didnt see anything about it on there. Anyone of any additional info on it?

 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/events/island-nights-glow-party

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...