Kings Island 2019 Discussion

BeeastFarmer

I've stopped eating burgers at KI. They smell amazing on the Diamondback lift hill, but they taste bland. And the texture of extruded meat is not appetizing at all. Of course that may have changed in 2018 but I wouldn't know because I didn't eat them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Since I have about a three hour round trip when I visit Kings Island, I always try to keep it "safe" to limit the chances of getting something bad.  I usually stick with cheese pizza that's just come from the oven.  Maybe not 100%, but it would be hard to mess that up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Side thought:

Don’t you think that it’s interesting that so many people opt for food that they can get “anywhere” instead of food unique to the park? I get Skyline and LaRosa’s since it might have an out of town appeal, but CFA is fast food. What would the line for CFA be like at Dollywood or Kennywood? Probably minimal.

Much progress has been made, but I feel like the reputation proceeded the food department. I have a feeling that we have more announcements ahead for 2019 - involving food options. It’s kind of exciting too.

I have all of the franchised restaurants near me, so I usually only get Coney BBQ, Chicken Shack, and on some occasions, RHFG.

5 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

I remember when the new chef came in that the new Juke Box burger was one his big things he promoted before the park opened.  It was really good early.  And later in the season it wasn’t bad, just nowhere near where it started.

Keep in mind at the beginning of the season an outside entity ran and prepared food at juke box....just saying...

• Like 1

I suppose I'm in the minority, but when I go to the park I have zero intentions of ever purchasing a full meal. We usually bring a picnic lunch and leave our cooler out by the gate...or eat on the way in or out at one of the many actual restaurants near by where you can actually sit down and relax. With kids especially, the in-park dining options are ridiculously over-priced for what you get. ICEEs, smurf-cones, funnel cakes, potato works fries---those are all classic treats that we will buy...meals not so much.

That may change if they offer some real German food again.

• Like 4

I remember the Pig Pen Burger! I wanted to try it but never got around to it.

Talking about Juke Box burgers in general, I had a cheeseburger from there on Closing Day. It was good, but a little underwhelming as it didn't match up to the tastier cheeseburger I enjoyed from there back in 2010 (which was the only other time I went to Juke Box for food). Hopefully it sees some more improvements.

• Like 1

On January 24, 2019 at 2:14 PM, JubJester said:

I wonder if Flight of Fear's ridership totals will go up or down this year. I dont see it having much of a dramatic change in either direction. 

I know I plan to ride it more. It's one of the rides I take for granted at KI and Firehawk's demise was a reminder that I should live up some of those while I still can. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

2019 calendar goes live at 8pm!!

Edit: Calendar is out: 2019 Calendar and Hours

Opening Day is Saturday, April 20 and Preview Night is on April 19 (Good Friday).  No new coaster this year, but I still have nightmares about that last Good Friday preview night...

I didn’t see preview night on the calendar. Is it listed elsewhere?

Also, why on earth would they go daily on a Wednesday?

• Like 1

I don't remember if this was common in previous years but, the 2019 calendar shows that the park is closed weekdays from Aug 19-Aug 29 (maybe private events??). I always thought the park continued with full operations until Labor Day at which point they would close for 2 weeks to prep for Haunt. The waterpark, on the other hand, has, I believe, been closed on weekdays in the 2 weeks preceding Labor Day for several years now.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BloodBlade21 said:

I don't remember if this was common in previous years but, the 2019 calendar shows that the park is closed weekdays from Aug 19-Aug 29 (maybe private events??). I always thought the park continued with full operations until Labor Day at which point they would close for 2 weeks to prep for Haunt. The waterpark, on the other hand, has, I believe, been closed on weekdays in the 2 weeks preceding Labor Day for several years now.

Nah, they now close until Labor Day Weekend.

6 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I'm glad to see we still have 10 pm weekday closes in the summer.  I was concerned they might go to 9 pm closes thru the week.

Also I hope they bring back the Peanuts Celebration as it was a fun event.

It opened the other day at Knott’s for its second year so that’s a good sign.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, MonteCristo said:

What happened on last Good Friday preview night?  

It was the perfect storm to make for insane crowds:

Mystic Timbers opened + Good Friday (lots of people off work/school) + sunny and 75-80.

It was just a sea of people.  I don't think it'll be that bad this year since it's not a new coaster opening, but who knows...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BloodBlade21 said:

I always thought the park continued with full operations until Labor Day at which point they would close for 2 weeks to prep for Haunt. 

In reality the park is only closed to the public during the 2 weeks between Labor Day and Haunt. Those two to three weekends almost always get bought out by companies so the haunt prep really happens in the weekdays.

Like someone mentioned earlier, daily operations stop 2-3 weeks before labor day since that is when most high schools and colleges go back. If you've been to the park when daily operations start in May then you know the park staffing is rough then. Just imagine that but with maybe half of the college kids as well

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BloodBlade21 said:

Bummer. Guess that falls right in line with colleges and grade schools creeping up their starting dates. 

Especially now that UC has shifted from Quarters to Semesters.  A good chunk of the employees at KI attend UC, and UC, until 2012 or 2013, didn't start until mid September.

It's really hard to get staffing the first few and last few weeks of operation.  When I was in Park Services, I would run rides the first few weeks of the season, as I was in Rides in my earlier career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

It was the perfect storm to make for insane crowds:

Mystic Timbers opened + Good Friday (lots of people off work/school) + sunny and 75-80.

It was just a sea of people.  I don't think it'll be that bad this year since it's not a new coaster opening, but who knows...

Oh yeah, I remember reading the posts about that on here.  I guess I didn't realize that was on Good Friday.  Hopefully it is not as crazy for everyone this year.

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

Especially now that UC has shifted from Quarters to Semesters.  A good chunk of the employees at KI attend UC, and UC, until 2012 or 2013, didn't start until mid September.

It's really hard to get staffing the first few and last few weeks of operation.  When I was in Park Services, I would run rides the first few weeks of the season, as I was in Rides in my earlier career.

UC's last day is April 26 with exam week being the following week. XU, NKU, and MU finish even later. 

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

UC's last day is April 26 with exam week being the following week. XU, NKU, and MU finish even later. 

I understand.  I was referring to staffing LATE in the season, not early.  This created similar problems back then, when UC was ending spring quarter in June.