Kings Island 2019 Discussion

BeeastFarmer

Is the season not extended enough for you now that Winterfest is back?  I mean the park is open eight and a half months out of the year.  Granted not all the rides are open during Winterfest.  But back in the day, the park used to essentially be open from May through mid October.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Is the season not extended enough for you now that Winterfest is back?  I mean the park is open eight and a half months out of the year.  Granted not all the rides are open during Winterfest.  But back in the day, the park used to essentially be open from May through mid October.

Why can't Cedar Fair just install coasters in my literal backyard?!?!

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2019 at 10:29 AM, HandsUp said:

I suppose I'm in the minority, but when I go to the park I have zero intentions of ever purchasing a full meal. We usually bring a picnic lunch and leave our cooler out by the gate...or eat on the way in or out at one of the many actual restaurants near by where you can actually sit down and relax. With kids especially, the in-park dining options are ridiculously over-priced for what you get. ICEEs, smurf-cones, funnel cakes, potato works fries---those are all classic treats that we will buy...meals not so much.

That may change if they offer some real German food again.

Agree 100% and do miss the German food.  Larosas and Panda in Bierhaus...make sense, lol.  We eat before entering.  I don't mind the price as that is sort of expected.  But the lines and quality are just not acceptable 90% of the time, and we shouldn't be apologists for that fact.   

• Like 2

I said seasons...plural. With the ability to add 400 employees, it would be nice to have the park open for spring break. Also, the last weeks in August, during the week. It'd be nice to have "Haunt/Winterfest Lite" on weekdays. I never said I wanted the park open year round. Sorry you read that in my post.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I believe that Carowinds is open during the week for spring break this year.  

If staffing at KI is anything like staffing at Coney, once mid-August rolls around, we have a hard time staffing all of our rides from that point until the end of the season.  Come September and October, we typically as rides managers each have to run a set of breaks just so our employees can take a break (and that is with multiple rides managers working, in the summer we typically only have one manager per shift).  

• Like 1

That was my point about the dorm. If you can house additional staff, you might be able to keep the park open additional days. They'd have to do a feasibility study and maybe run some trials, but the possibility will exist. If it happened profitability, it would be a win/win.

• Like 2

Quick questions for Platinum Pass holders:

We are planning a trip to Carowinds at the end of March.  We upgraded our Gold Passes at the end of the season to Platinum Passes (1st time) for this year.  We were unable to get the physical platinum passes at the end of the season from KI.  They said we couldn't get those until the 2019 season.  When I scanned our Gold Passes into the app, they show up as 2019 Platinum Passes.  Will this be good enough to get into another Cedar Fair Park?  Thanks in advance!

I'd conjecture that if your app shows as platinum, you should be good to go. Just use the app instead of the card. Unless things have changed, keep your parking receipt ( even though it's free) and get a hand stamp if you leave and plan to return the same day. Evidently, readmittance is not allowed without the receipt and hand stamp...at least in 2016 that's the way it was.

• Like 1

Then again, when I last visited Carowinds with a physical Platinum Pass card, they still tried to tell me I couldn`t enter the park!  They were trying to tell me as I was standing at guests services that I would have to go back to Kings Island to get it fixed.  Thirty minutes later, they finally let me in the park.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

Agree 100% and do miss the German food.  Larosas and Panda in Bierhaus...make sense, lol.  We eat before entering.  I don't mind the price as that is sort of expected.  But the lines and quality are just not acceptable 90% of the time, and we shouldn't be apologists for that fact.   

Yep, I like meals to be relaxed and comfortable. I can go to the mexican place or the skyline by the north entrance and have AC and a server for much less than in the park with none of the hassle. I'm still all for improving in-park meal options--but the only one I'd visit would be sit-down restaurants-and that would mainly be if it were just my wife and I. I'm admittedly a BBQ snob because I do my own, but just walking by the Coney BBQ it just reeked of over-cooked chicken..kinda off-putting. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I said seasons...plural. With the ability to add 400 employees, it would be nice to have the park open for spring break. Also, the last weeks in August, during the week. It'd be nice to have "Haunt/Winterfest Lite" on weekdays. I never said I wanted the park open year round. Sorry you read that in my post.

I doubt you'll see the park open much earlier.  Spring breaks in Cincinnati are too varied in dates and the weather is super unpredictable.  I remember opening day in 1999 it was snowing.

I don't think you'll see the park extend the season much either.  The dorms are mostly to fix staffing issues that the park encountered during the summer and hopefully to increase the quality of employee at the park.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

^ And I have fulfilled several “front seat” requests in my time working at WindSeeker! :) 

Just out of curiosity, how often do you hear that joke? Is it on the level of "It didn't ring up? That means it's free, right?" 

• Like 3