International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

14 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

Which picture shows the pedestals being painted? They look like rusted crap to me.

istreet1.png

I ASSUME they are being staged for painting. In 2003 they were disassembled like this and painted in the picnic grove. I suppose you’re right - we don’t know for sure. However the fountain has had pedestals since ‘72 so if they want to have some semblance of restoration to the 70’s then I’d think this would be part of it. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gabe said:

For starters, looks like the fencing around the fountain is being replaced with a masonry wall, which would fit in with the claim that guests will be able to get closer to the fountain than before.  Of course, how long before someone(s), decide to jump what looks to be a low fence and into the fountains?

Who was to stop someone from going into the fountain before this? All there was is a small concrete wall with a small rail...... but, I see your point.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

This video was published in 2009. Doesn't matter if there's a fence or not, people will still do it.

Exactly. I don't understand why you would want to jump into a fountain that has geese droppings in it (literally; I can't tell you the last time I didn't see a goose in the fountain). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shaggy said:

The "Pedestals" you see today were altered for either the 2nd or 3rd season of operation.  Originally, the water bowls sat on top of the simple round cylindrical "tubes."  Later, for decoration (and added support) the bowls were given 8 support arms each.  In the pictures above you can see how the original pedestal "tubes" still exist and the original bowls with the later-added arms sit over top of them.

I've never noticed the lack of support arms in early photos; thanks for pointing that out!

Here's pictures from 1972, 1973, and 1974. It appears they were added for the 1974 season.

1972 (eBay user MomThrewItAway)

P0sTfbz.jpg

1973 (flickr user tshiverd)

T8SfEHT.jpg

1974 (QueenCityDisco.com)

B8rIn73.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TombraiderTy said:

I've never noticed the lack of support arms in early photos; thanks for pointing that out!

Here's pictures from 1972, 1973, and 1974. It appears they were added for the 1974 season.

1972 (eBay user MomThrewItAway)

P0sTfbz.jpg

1973 (flickr user tshiverd)

T8SfEHT.jpg

1974 (QueenCityDisco.com)

B8rIn73.jpg

thats so cool! Learn something new every day 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I'm not anti- american, but it is absolutely ANNOYING when I try to take a somewhat decent photo of IS with the tower and those flag poles in the way. Just keep them outside the park in front of the main gate.

Couldn't disagree more. An american Flag, and/or Ohio flag add to tje enjoyment .  I have needed to come up with creative framing, at times, but it always works out. Patriotism, from a corporation, is not bad.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, FoolCrzy said:

Couldn't disagree more. An american Flag, and/or Ohio flag add to tje enjoyment .  I have needed to come up with creative framing, at times, but it always works out. Patriotism, from a corporation, is not bad.

Patriotism isn't bad, but those flags could be relocated somewhere else. They disrupt the clean visual sight line of the fountain and tower.

• Like 4

On January 17, 2019 at 7:59 AM, SonofBaconator said:

This video was published in 2009. Doesn't matter if there's a fence or not, people will still do it.

Knowing what some of the towns around here are known for, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Heck, years back, when I moved back from Columbus, the first thing I saw was a man driving his car down the sidewalk, over grass and driveways, as if he didn't know he wasn't on the road...

• Like 1