International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

21 hours ago, Shaggy said:

They are installing hydraulic lift tables that will automatically lift pre-lit trees...

Every year when I am helping decorate a family member's Christmas tree I always mention that this is the first thing I would buy if I won the lottery....push a button and a trap door would open and up would pop the already decorated tree from the basement...life couldn't get any better! (Unless you count that you wouldn't have to un-decorate it either...then that might be better.) I know, i'm a Scrooge.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, standbyme said:

Every year when I am helping decorate a family member's Christmas tree I always mention that this is the first thing I would buy if I won the lottery....push a button and a trap door would open and up would pop the already decorated tree from the basement...life couldn't get any better! (Unless you count that you wouldn't have to un-decorate it either...then that might be better.) I know, i'm a Scrooge.

I have a friend who has a family room in the basement and they throw a sheet over the tree and slide it into the corner. At Christmas they pull off the sheet, dust it and turn the lights on... lol :P

• Like 3

14 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^Its honestly a bit creepy with how obsessed you are with Intamin that you can't even go without looking at an obviously tongue and cheek inside joke without clamoring for a new Intamin to be real.  You take the obsession to a whole new level.  

Im sorry? I can't help that they make my favorite coasters...…..I'll try to not be "creepy".

14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

That was an inside joke from the summer of 2013 where a troll kept telling us he saw green Intamin track..

Haha I got ya. I was gonna say I never heard of this before.

3 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Im sorry? I can't help that they make my favorite coasters...…..I'll try to not be "creepy".

You're talking about wanting an Intamin in a topic about the International Street makeover work.  With the way you post, you often derail entire threads and turn topics that don't have anything to do with Intamin about Intamins.  Its honestly getting annoying.  I'm not saying you can't talk about them, but realize the context of your posts before posting them.  Its like being stuck in a mobius loop with you and you're pretty Johnny on the spot about bringing up Intamin anytime you can.  

Seriously dude.

We. Get. It. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

44 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

You're talking about wanting an Intamin in a topic about the International Street makeover work.  With the way you post, you often derail entire threads and turn topics that don't have anything to do with Intamin about Intamins.  Its honestly getting annoying.  I'm not saying you can't talk about them, but realize the context of your posts before posting them.  Its like being stuck in a mobius loop with you and you're pretty Johnny on the spot about bringing up Intamin anytime you can.  

Seriously dude.

We. Get. It. 

I didn't bring it up man if you look back......all I said was what? where?..  as you can tell it was a joke. Also I did not know of this " inside joke".

Moving on to stay on topic...…..

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Maverick44 said:
4 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Seriously dude.

We. Get. It. 

I didn't bring it up man if you look back......all I said was what? where?..  as you can tell it was a joke. Also I did not know of this " inside joke".

Moving on to stay on topic...…..

People like silver2005 are the reason I don't like posting much on this board. You didn't do anything wrong Maverick44. You didn't even bring up Intamin. Not every single post in a topic will be exclusively about the topic at hand. 

• Like 6

I wasn't and haven't been annoyed by you, @Maverick44.

@Rivertown Rider, I doubt the trees would have been relocated.  The one picture that was released by the park had a decimated tree near Sweet Spot.  The trees were fairly old and likely wouldn't survive a move.  Plus the cost is outrageous (or at least it was 15 years ago when I was in that industry), not to mention the potential to damage utilities and infrastructure.  I wish the park would set a tree planting goal of 50-100 trees per year throughout the park. That way when things like the emerald ash borer take out trees, or they become past their prime, replacements would have been growing in.  I have posted a link I found of a pin oak being transplanted, smaller than the linden trees that were on IS.  As you can see, about 75% of the root mass is left behind.  Plus, those trees probably had a very extensive root system that went under the pavers and towards the Royal Fountain, looking for water and nutrients.  CRW_7332-e1381873343270.jpg

Edited by jtro223
detail omitted
  • Like 7

Plus and I am not sure if they are tearing up the whole pathway when its not needed. That machine they would need to get in there would destroy everything around the trees since they are so big. I can't recall how close the trees were to the path haha. Ki is such a beautiful park. I hope the trees stay imo. I see it  as an unneeded expense. Just plant a new tree whenever and its much less.

@jtro223 thank you as well!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

I wish the park would set a tree planting goal of 50-100 trees per year throughout the park. That way when things like the emerald ash borer take out trees, or they become past their prime, replacements would have been growing in.  

That’d be a great goal to have the park set! I’m not sure how expensive it is to accomplish a goal like that but even if they added just a few trees it could greatly improve the atmosphere of some areas of the park.

• Like 4

I mean in all fairness......It could actually cost almost nothing at all. If they take saplings from tree's they already have and plant them near the greenhouse and let them mature to there they can withstand being moved then they can have tree's all the time! Just time consuming. The only money spent is on water to water the saplings and maybe fertilizer?  Also I don't see man hours going up at all. The greenhouse would not need to do much extra other then watering and fert. Then grounds team or whoever does the landscaping would not change since they would plant trees anyway they get to the park. This could be something they should look int. they have the space to have a small tree farm.

• Like 2

It depends on the tree.  I'm not sure what the wholesale market dictates in the Cincinnati area, but we could get most 15 gallon trees (usually about 8-10' tall) for around $50.  But that was several years ago and in Arizona.  But if the cost was $100, and they planted 50/year, the cost would be 5k/year or about $417/month, which is a pretty easy number to swallow.  The in house landscaping team could handle the labor as part of routine maintenance.  They could do a mixture to include ash, maple, fir, pine, redwood, and gingko.  Those are all attractive, give good shade and are low maintenance.  But, then again, I am just an armchair enthusiast and don't know budgets, needs etc.  I do think the park is doing a great job and I am more excited about the future of KI than I have ever been. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I'd love to see some Japanese maples around the pond's or fountain shaded area's. Those have to be one of my favorites.  Also the Crimson King since we are Kings Island.

There we go, take it next level.

Reface each building to a new international style, then plant trees in front of each "country" from that continent.

Asian, African, European, and South American?

• Like 2

That would be beautiful. I wonder how many can stand our climate though? I know the Japanese maple can not never with African or South American out door trees. 

We have a Japanese Maple here that has survived well, minus the one year where it got too warm and then rain froze on it.

Someone forgot a continent...hmmm
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to turn this into a tree thread, LOL.  But I think some gingko trees, shaped into topiary like the ones that were brought from Coney Island, would look great around the tower.  And add in some weeping fir for contrast.  I do like the weeping white pines over near the KI Theater and the Chicken Shack, but I think they would be distracting around the tower.

Weeping-Spruce-Tree.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, JubJester said:

They would be too tall, taller than the tower itself. The average height is around 359 feet. 

Some tall Evergeens would fit nicely. Also would benefit WinterFest.

Yeah maybe you’re right, maybe they would be better placed next to the tomb raider building.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JubJester said:

@jtro223Those would be cool. Maybe add a flat with those around it. Maybe bring back the Bavarian Beetle or add a Wild Mouse Coaster. Or maybe a Wild Moose Coaster.

If you are talking about in the area in front of the Junkyard Stunt Coaster, would a Mouse fit there?  I think, and this is stretching it, maybe a smaller Ferris Wheel there with extensive landscaping and a couple of flats behind the International Showplace, where the Salt Water Circus was, and kind of tie that area into IS with the landscape theme.

• Like 4