International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

Yep THOSE trees are gone, although their days were probably numbered with or without this project.  When trees hit maturity they have a much bigger tenancy to drop large branches during things such as storms which poses a risk to both people and equipment.  That's also likely why the trees around that former circular smoking section in Coney Mall were replaced.  I much prefer to have larger trees around the park but I get it.

I think the roots pose a bigger issue. More roots causes pavement to crack and pavers to move around, since you can’t stop the tree from growing. If you chop the roots, then you just make the tree unhealthy and parts of it die and rot. There is to easy solution to this other than larger grassy areas. Large trees just don’t work in the middle of the park regardless of their natural shade.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

I like how they didn't need a "fence" to tell people to not go in to the fountain- and a tall fence to keep people out of the yard in front of The Racer.  Almost like people used to know that sort of thing... and we have to be told today.

Or because we live in an increasingly litigious society, so the park has to cover all its bases.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

I like how they didn't need a "fence" to tell people to not go in to the fountain- and a tall fence to keep people out of the yard in front of The Racer.  Almost like people used to know that sort of thing... and we have to be told today.

The park doesn't want another "Black Sunday" and "Tower Johnny." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joshua said:

The park doesn't want another "Black Sunday" and "Tower Johnny." 

My Dad always used to freak me out on the drive to Kings Island with those stories. I don’t think having a fence is that unreasonable, a lot of kids go to the park and it only takes a second for one to run away from their parents and end up injured on the fountain.

7 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

My Dad always used to freak me out on the drive to Kings Island with those stories. I don’t think having a fence is that unreasonable, a lot of kids go to the park and it only takes a second for one to run away from their parents and end up injured on the fountain.

A fence is totally reasonable. A little extra protection just in case is a wise decision. Accidents happen. Murphy's Law, right? Assume everyone knows better than to play around with lions and what do you know, someone gets mauled by a lion. All these incidents happened decades ago. Clearly, people had to be told back then too. 

• Like 3

@Maverick44...Intamin also makes trees!  I think they will be the coastal cypress trees but will be planted near The Crypt to disguise it.  The new area will be called Kentons Cove Cypress Circus.  It will have a lift similar to Millenium Force, and you rappel off the top of the trees and go through some pretty forceful turns.  However, downtime will be expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

HAHAHA that would be amazing! I was hoping for a tiny little bonzi that we could cover is hair ties and gum because the GP is awesome....not.

Yut oh....we got off topics. Lets bring it back...bring it back ( in the words of Freddie Mercury).

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Stoan said:

Is that a new facade on skyline? Looks like a wall just resting on the railings

That’s the wall they install in the serving window for the colder months. Looks like they just removed it and haven’t stored it yet. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I didn’t even know the 2019 map was released.

It has been released via Education Days flyers.

23 minutes ago, Coaster Critics said:

If we look at the KI 2019 map it looks like there is some sort of balcony here that will allow us to get a closer view to the fountain! Very cool!

KI 2019 map.jpg

I feel like they are just showing the seating areas as they are...wouldn't necessarily call it a balcony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spooky21 said:

Could those trees be transplanted to the Kings Mills Antique Autos?

Possible, but doubtful.  They were likely at the end of their serviceable life.  In my previous career, we transplanted trees.  Older, larger trees like these had about a 50% percent chance of survival after 5 years and that was if they were moved from ideal conditions (wide open areas with no prior root constraints.)  It was very expensive and disruptive to infrastructure.  As much as I loved those linden trees on IS, I hope they weren't transplanted.

• Like 2