International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

We deeply regret that our communication of the park's photo request led to so much drama. If KI makes a simple request to its fans, the vast majority of us are respectful enough to comply. It's as simple as that; the mods didn't have to remove any pictures because everyone was complying.
The park's official media release makes a much better first impression than a few photos from an airplane.

Maybe they got wind of Google’s satellite getting ready to make a pass...
  • Haha 1

Ok lets all just take a deep breath and come back tomorrow on cooler heads and just drop the whole picture thing. Use your best judgement when posting pics and if you think " hey the park might not want people to see this yet". Maybe don't post it and ask a mod first if what you have is ok to post. We are a family here! I know I have been in some dramatic moments and I am sorry about all of that. I still come back the next day and enjoy talking to everyone! Its almost coaster season!!!! Be excited!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, malem said:

We deeply regret that our communication of the park's photo request led to so much drama. If KI makes a simple request to its fans, the vast majority of us are respectful enough to comply. It's as simple as that; the mods didn't have to remove any pictures because everyone was complying.

The park's official media release makes a much better first impression than a few photos from an airplane.

I totally agree. I also appreciate you acknowledging the breakdown in communication. Like many others, I have just been confused. Not angry or upset, just confused. I certainly haven't meant any disrespect by asking for clarification. I appreciate the difficult spot this sort of thing puts you all in. Personally, I like to follow the park's posts because, as you said, they're simply better lol.

@silver2005 You seriously do need to chill out. No one is riled up except you. No one is being disrespectful except you. You're the one calling people names and making wild accusations. 

23 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Just curious. Will these things return as part of the royal fountain?

roundthings.jpg

Based on the park map and the various pictures of the site and nozzle locations, it's doubtful. If nothing else, it seems as though there are more nozzles and locations, so they'd need more and probably smaller ones. The impression I'm getting from what I'm seeing is that it'll be set up more like World of Color where they can do a more active show. Visible fountain columns like that don't fit that type of show. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Based on the park map and the various pictures of the site and nozzle locations, it's doubtful. If nothing else, it seems as though there are more nozzles and locations, so they'd need more and probably smaller ones. The impression I'm getting from what I'm seeing is that it'll be set up more like World of Color where they can do a more active show. Visible fountain columns like that don't fit that type of show. 

Plus the pedestals aren’t on the park map.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

If I were Queen of Kings Island I would decree the old fountain pedestals be reused to make new fountains in other parts of the park. Like, make a new water feature in Tower Gardens and/or Planet Snoopy. 

I would love a water feature in PS. Like one where kids can get in and play around in. They used to have a water thing that kids could go through, but they removed it for the new rides in PS for 2015. I kinda miss the water thing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, silver2005 said:

But we as humans must also adapt to things that may contradict the use of that technology, like Kings Island making it very clear they don't want that information divulged.  Sometimes technology outpaces what we as humans need to do to get by and adapt to things.  There's a lot about the internet that we still haven't had a grasp on.  Seriously people, just practice a little self control.  Nothing is going to happen if you aren't provided information.  Just find other things to do.  Its honestly more rewarding to practice patience.  

I agree with you, frankly I doubt anyone is losing sleep over the pictures of the new IS, and I know I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't see any pictures prior a new coaster installation (or any major new addition), but if I was presented the opportunity to view them, I'm not going to turn away either.  If the site doesn't want pictures posted, I'm fine with that, but the park and the site need to realize (and do) that there are other outlets that will share any pictures.

How many times have you (the royal you, not just silver2005) looked a POV prior to riding a coaster?  How many times have you read a movie review or book review prior to consuming?  How many times have you asked a waiter what they would recommend at a restaurant you've never been to before?  We look for previews of information on all kinds of things all the time, the international street make over is no different.

• Like 1

I mean with how long those things have been in the pool, there could easily be enough advancement in technology to give a similar fountain effect with a floating platform. Do a light painted foam miniaturized pedestal that can easily be removed for maintenance or Winterfest.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Stoan said:

I mean with how long those things have been in the pool, there could easily be enough advancement in technology to give a similar fountain effect with a floating platform. Do a light painted foam miniaturized pedestal that can easily be removed for maintenance or Winterfest.

It the foam pedestals included the bases, the weight of the water falling down and pooling before cascading down--that would crush the foam.  ;)  I really like that idea, though.  

I saw the video Kings Island posted on Twitter and I like what they have done. The new walkway, new trees, its all looking good. As for the old trees I will kinda miss them, I mean, they provided some shade but you couldn't really see around too much. I sure hope the pedestals to the Royal Fountain are staying put. I 100% agree with @Imperial79, they are iconic. But overall, its lookin' good!  

• Like 2

I tend to agree that having the pedestals would make dynamic water displays more difficult, but I don't think it would be impossible. I also find it strange that if they were doing away with them entirely they wouldn't have shown them in that first video they posted. Perhaps we will see them elsewhere in the park or sometime in the future. I do think a water feature in PS would be nice. 

Maybe they will offer them up at auction and someone can get one for their front lawn :D

• Like 2

Wouldn't the pedestals prevent any sort of dancing water Bellagio-like fountain displays? Not saying which is better, but it seems that if they are going for dynamic water displays, they may be gone for good.

That stuff at Bellagio uses compressed air to not only raise the sprayers and the platforms they are on, but also for the motion of the nozzles and rapid movement of the water. Bellagio was designed by WET Design. I have a book on the fountains there.

I doubt Kings Island will be going to that extreme, but, I think the fountain would look immediately better without the pedestals. They always looked dated and junky to me.
  • Like 1

You can see from the pic of the removed pedestals the wiring was cut as was the plumbing. Unless they were planning on adding some type of attachment couplers after the fact, the way they were removed indicates they weren’t coming back. When two were “temporarily removed” for winterfest i sort of thought this might be happening as I didn’t see this really being sinettingbtheyveiuldceantbti do annually with these at least the way they were originally constructed. While I liked the idea of them, I felt the blue and white color execution made them feel a bit dated. If they just were white or looked like stone that would’ve been better. We’ll see in a few weeks, but I don’t expect to see them back. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5c66d88027415748f2a0f9c535cf68c5.jpg

I watched the Twitter video and note a couple of things.

1.) There are zero visible anchors in the bottom of the fountain. I suspect the pedestals are gone. If the pedestals were coming back, I’d expect to see some kind of supporting structure for them. Now seems late to be doing that kind of work.

2.) See the “S” shape running the length of the fountain? Reminds me of a series of nozzles that could spray all at once or in different sequences. With lighting and music, would make for a very skilled water show. There are other frames that clearly show them as either different lengths of pipe or conduit.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, brent said:

You can see from the pic of the removed pedestals the wiring was cut as was the plumbing. Unless they were planning on adding some type of attachment couplers after the fact, the way they were removed indicates they weren’t coming back. When two were “temporarily removed” for winterfest i sort of thought this might be happening as I didn’t see this really being sinettingbtheyveiuldceantbti do annually with these at least the way they were originally constructed. While I liked the idea of them, I felt the blue and white color execution made them feel a bit dated. If they just were white or looked like stone that would’ve been better. We’ll see in a few weeks, but I don’t expect to see them back. 

Sorry, yes cat. Didn’t see this as something they would do annually (remove and replace two fountain pedestals) I think when those two were removed that should’ve been a hint. I think the time needed to remove them all plus the “shock” may have been why they only took out what they needed for winterfest this  time around. Duhgfybcryjknkkfcffcbuyvfvb don’t  you think? 

• Haha 1

I'm sad about the removal of all the full grown trees.  There won't be any shade any more at any of the tables (assuming there will be tables) on the sides of the fountain.  My guess is that they are aiming to improve the sight lines.  The fountain will be a centerpiece no matter where you are on International Street.  The nightly fireworks and light show will be fully visible from anywhere on the street as well. 

• Like 2

Looking at the bright side of the removal of the trees, at the very least we'll have better views of the fountain as well as the fireworks show. I'm hoping that they'll put umbrellas in the tables to replace the trees, as shade is definitely a necessary thing in the middle of summer.

• Like 3