International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

Quoted wrong post before, sorry! What preview night are you talking about.  

Edit: Thanks for the clarification!

I don’t expect KIs fountain to look anything like this. This looks extremely old school in the setup. Modern fountains don’t look like this. All the nozzles look bad because they are oxidized, since they are copper. Most modern fountains use stainless steel.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Outdoor Man said:

KI.  At second glance though, maybe they have received a paint-refreshing.

5c66d88027415748f2a0f9c535cf68c5.jpg

The new International Street is definitely an improvement, but I don't believe that it will be as beautiful as its 2 counterparts (for tree and landscape lovers).   It looks like a huge part of the changes are new pavers closer to the fountains.

At least there are trees, but it will take a while for them to be of any size.   I was hoping for landscaping islands that King's Dominion has, but the trees are planted directly into the pavers.

International Street for Winterfest is going to not look good this year compared to the previous years. The canopy of white lights in the trees was a big part of the special feeling when you walked through the gates.

Will the 2 outlooks be the only seating areas or will there be tables on the inner side of the trees toward the fountains?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, super7 said:

The new International Street is definitely an improvement, but I don't believe that it will be as beautiful as its 2 counterparts (for tree and landscape lovers).   It looks like a huge part of the changes are new pavers closer to the fountains.

At least there are trees, but it will take a while for them to be of any size.   I was hoping for landscaping islands that King's Dominion has, but the trees are planted directly into the pavers.

International Street for Winterfest is going to not look good this year compared to the previous years. The canopy of white lights in the trees was a big part of the special feeling when you walked through the gates.

Will the 2 outlooks be the only seating areas or will there be tables on the inner side of the trees toward the fountains?

In the sense of landscaping like KD I kind of agree. I hated how the fountains there were really hidden by the trees and hated how you couldn't look at the fountains really from the entrance, since they have that flowerish hill with the sign implanted into it.

I think it's too early to say it will not look good for Winterfest....we have no idea what they are planning on doing for it...

Don't think anyone knows for sure how seating will be on the inside of the trees/out looks.

• Like 2

I’m happy to see those large trees go. I love the way that international street looked when the park first opened. The openness of the area seemed like, grand I guess? KDs trees ruin their international street for me. Just imagine what Main Street at Disney would look like with big trees like KD has. It would not look good at all. 

• Like 4

I agree that hill at the entrance at Kings Dominion serves only to block the view of the fountain as you enter.   But the fountain is fully visible from the other points. 

KD personally one of my favorite parks because of how much of the park and walkways are under the trees.  More of the walkways there are shaded than even nearby Busch Gardens.  

Before the trees around KDs Eiffel Tower were removed due to disease,the Tower looked incredible popping out of the forest.  

IMO Treeless parks feel barren and MORE like parking lots.  And they are hot.  KI in general does not have a lot of tree covered paths. 

Trees definitely make Winterfest better.  Light covered trees have a special feeling of immersing you in the lights.   KDs International Street at Winterfest was absolutely one of the most impress Christmas sights ever (with the exception of the elevated skating)

• Like 3

Everyone is going to have their opinion on the tree removal. Maybe there was an underlining reason why the ones that were there before had to go? The good news is, they replaced the trees with new ones and in a few short years they will be providing shade again. 

I am curious on what type of seating we will see? New tables with umbrellas?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Everyone is going to have their opinion on the tree removal. Maybe there was an underlining reason why the ones that were there before had to go? The good news is, they replaced the trees with new ones and in a few short years they will be providing shade again. 

I am curious on what type of seating we will see? New tables with umbrellas?

I would imagine we would see new tables and chairs along with some umbrellas for those tables to make up for shade. They would probably be spread along the wall and I could see maybe see a grouping of them in the enclaves near the restaurants. 

• Like 1

Personally, I'm glad that the large trees were removed. They ruined the forced perspective of the buildings.

One thing that has always struck me looking at old photos of International Street is how wide, open, and grandiose it looked. I'm very happy that we're getting that feeling and look back.

• Like 4

I'm no arborist, but it could be that the trees lining iStreet had reached height maturity and once that happens their main growth would come from "regeneration"- meaning shedding branches and limbs to facilitate new growth.

Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a park with thousands of daily guests can't have trees lining a busy thoroughfare that are regularly shedding 100lb limbs.  In that respect, the only option is to clear the slate and start over.  

• Like 3

Driving by this morning, they were testing uplighting that matched the Eiffel Tower.  Not sure if they had this at Winterfest or not.  The tops of all the buildings were in a deep blue as was the tower on my way into work this morning.

I think it was for Autism Awareness (according to their Instagram)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Outdoor Man said:

I'm no arborist, but it could be that the trees lining iStreet had reached height maturity and once that happens their main growth would come from "regeneration"- meaning shedding branches and limbs to facilitate new growth.

Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a park with thousands of daily guests can't have trees lining a busy thoroughfare that are regularly shedding 100lb limbs.  In that respect, the only option is to clear the slate and start over.  

You are right, they are missing an opportunity to turn I-Street into an attraction all on their own. Replace all those shabby old trees with new palm trees, rife with coconuts. Begin your KI Best Day with a sprint down I-Street dodging coconuts that fall from the trees from a height entirely possible to hospitalize you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

While I know that was meant to be funny, palm trees would never survive Cincinnati winters. You can barely get Banana trees to survive around here if you start them indoors in the spring and bring them indoors when it starts to cool off. I’ve watched them grow bananas around here for many summers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

I was an arborist before my current career as an RN.  The linden trees on IS were probably at the end of their expected life.  The probably had root systems that had grown into the grassy area around the Royal Fountain as it was easier to get water and nutrients from an irrigated/fertilized area vs the pavers.  They had pruned them during the offseason last year, and the decision was probably sealed then.   When I was at KD in 2016, I was amazed at the mostly dead ash trees around the Eifel Tower, they looked like a huge liability.  I hated to see the trees at KI go, but I think IS will look great.  I was more upset about the removal of the last of the gingko trees in the area formerly known as Coney Mall--they had all been moved from Coney Island and they all ended up in the former smoking area as the others died and off and were replaced with maple trees.  

• Like 1