International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

17 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I was an arborist before my current career as an RN.  The linden trees on IS were probably at the end of their expected life.  The probably had root systems that had grown into the grassy area around the Royal Fountain as it was easier to get water and nutrients from an irrigated/fertilized area vs the pavers.  They had pruned them during the offseason last year, and the decision was probably sealed then.   When I was at KD in 2016, I was amazed at the mostly dead ash trees around the Eifel Tower, they looked like a huge liability.  I hated to see the trees at KI go, but I think IS will look great.  I was more upset about the removal of the last of the gingko trees in the area formerly known as Coney Mall--they had all been moved from Coney Island and they all ended up in the former smoking area as the others died and off and were replaced with maple trees.  

... what that guy said...

On 4/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, Outdoor Man said:

I'm no arborist, but it could be that the trees lining iStreet had reached height maturity and once that happens their main growth would come from "regeneration"- meaning shedding branches and limbs to facilitate new growth.

Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a park with thousands of daily guests can't have trees lining a busy thoroughfare that are regularly shedding 100lb limbs.  In that respect, the only option is to clear the slate and start over.  

The trees that were removed had some major limbs already removed, so that's a good point.    I think overall there are more trees, but its not going to end up being a shaded paradise.

The tree opinion subject is really a matter of tree lovers or not.  It's pretty obvious I am a tree lover :) 

22 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I was an arborist before my current career as an RN.  The linden trees on IS were probably at the end of their expected life.  The probably had root systems that had grown into the grassy area around the Royal Fountain as it was easier to get water and nutrients from an irrigated/fertilized area vs the pavers.  They had pruned them during the offseason last year, and the decision was probably sealed then.   When I was at KD in 2016, I was amazed at the mostly dead ash trees around the Eifel Tower, they looked like a huge liability.  I hated to see the trees at KI go, but I think IS will look great.  I was more upset about the removal of the last of the gingko trees in the area formerly known as Coney Mall--they had all been moved from Coney Island and they all ended up in the former smoking area as the others died and off and were replaced with maple trees.  

I wasn't sure what kind of trees those were around the Eiffel Tower at KD, but I was assuming they were ash and the beetles go to them.  Those trees definitely needed to go.   I was surprised they didn't take them out sooner because they looked horrible.
But it was also disappointing they didn't plant replacements as it was quite a special feeling with the Eiffel Tower rising out of the woods.

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

I hope they keep some tables along I-Street.  Its one of my favorite places to eat in the park, though, having less shade might be problematic to that end.

I would be shocked if tables didn't return; especially, with those inserts close to the fountain. I hope there are new, quality tables with themed umbrellas.

• Like 2

With the bricks nearest the fountain being a different color, I wonder if this is a parade route/fountain show viewing section, and the outside near the shops is open to relieve congestion. (Excuse me... it’s just the DisneyWorld visitor in me coming out.) in fact the two sections that jut out towards the fountain could be stage areas as well.

• Like 2

I had my training on Saturday and got to take in what they’ve done so far. While I won’t upload any pictures or delve into specifics, I will say it is definitely going to be an incredible final result. I think it will really put the “grand” into “grand entrance.” And yes, it’s a good thing that those trees were cut down; the forced perspective illusion has been restored!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, lostinthevortex said:

I think this whole makeover is going to bring such a great fresh feeling to those of us who try to go once or twice a year from out of state. Kings Island never gets old but it will be so refreshing to see these new beautiful changes added. 

I think you are right on the mark here.

Also, welcome to KIC!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

With the new fountain design and since CF cycles their shows throughout the chain, I can see KI borrowing this show from Canada Wonderland sometime soon

4BB438D8-FBBE-4861-92D7-3D016F07505E.png

I would love this, but it won't be a part of the park entertainment this year.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 5:55 AM, KIghostguy said:

I think it will really put the “grand” into “grand entrance. The forced perspective illusion has been restored!

Are you allowed to comment or say if the pedestals have been put back in or taken away? Yes I'm still holding hope.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Yes, the old pedestals are no longer. It is a completely new fountain setup. It looks beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course now I’m wondering if the fountain is still painted white on the bottom and sides or darker like at Kings Dominion and Canada’s Wonderland.  

• Like 1

Of course now I’m wondering if the fountain is still painted white on the bottom and sides or darker like at Kings Dominion and Canada’s Wonderland.  

I would guess white or blue. That’s a traditional color that gives a clean look with the endless/bottomless feel.

I would think black would make the water warmer and promote bacteria and algae growth... who wants that?
  • Like 1