International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

AF0E47C0-6E07-4290-ABDB-9E64B0DB4EAE.jpegD92685B1-B45E-4599-AF4D-D0F0CFCB750B.jpeg7CEC0D97-AE09-4D44-9FE6-537E82214FA6.jpeg

(Photo credit: @Midgetman82 via Twitter)

Very impressed with the new paint jobs on the buildings. It definitely feels more like a cityscape than it did in the past. The removal of the large trees is the best thing to me. It looks cleaner and has that feeling of being new, like when the park first opened. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phantom Theater said:

Still not a fan of the visible silver pipes, but whatevs, they’re just pipes. 

It's better than seeing all that rust (or whatever it was) from the top. I wonder if the water will be red during Haunt. Also, they can still paint the pipes.

I had a feeling the wind was a part of it.

38 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

AF0E47C0-6E07-4290-ABDB-9E64B0DB4EAE.jpegD92685B1-B45E-4599-AF4D-D0F0CFCB750B.jpeg7CEC0D97-AE09-4D44-9FE6-537E82214FA6.jpeg

(Photo credit: @Midgetman82 via Twitter)

Very impressed with the new paint jobs on the buildings. It definitely feels more like a cityscape than it did in the past. The removal of the large trees is the best thing to me. It looks cleaner and has that feeling of being new, like when the park first opened. 

Agree. The colors are more vibrant and add life even in these gray early days. Can’t wait to see it under bright sun. That last shot illustrates what I find odd about the overall layout of the street. Theres a “sidewalk” of brown with (hate to say it, dull, institutional looking) tables, then a very narrow dark gray “street” with more tables and trees, then a really wide tan cobblestone look “sidewalk” it’s  a lot of elements that don’t act together to simulate a real street. I wish they had pushed into the grass a little with the area by the fountain to add all the tables on a “sidewalk” then a “curb” of color to delineate a wider “street”, the a narrower “sidewalk” on the other side of the street close to the buildings with the trees there, and light poles to balance the height of the light rigs by the fountains. The area under the extended surface close to the fountain could’ve had “storage” underneath for chilling equip for winterfest and propane for haunt etc. by reducing the grass, they could have also created a narrower planting bed to fill with color through the season. 

• Like 3

My two cents....sorry but I’m not that impressed. While the paint jobs on the buildings are well done, they never should have gotten rid of the developed trees. I Street is going to be hot and miserable in the summer months.

I assumed they got rid of the pedestals because they wanted to incorporate water/fountain effects into the fireworks show and the previous setup was too restrictive. I was really disappointed not to see any fountain/water effects added into the nighttime fireworks show. Maybe they’re still figuring that part out? Regardless, IMO anyways, the thing that made KIs fountain unique was the pedestals and now it looks well, boring.

Also, If it was redone to look more like a street, where’s the darn street? Someone hit on this earlier but it looks just like they just threw a bunch of different pavers together. 

• Like 1

1, Overall, the renovation is definitely an improvement.   International Street was looking dated and wore out whereas the 3 International Streets are the most spectacular entrances of any park.  KI's version just wasn't living up to its potential before.    Seating by the fountain was previously limited and none of it was shaded.  The landscaping wasn't much of anything (more on that later).

2.  The new pavers look amazing.

3.  It looks like all of the buildings were repainted and look like new again.  Strange though some of the lights outlining the buildings and windows were burnt out.  I would think they would have wanted everything more perfect for the unveiling this weekend.  The country flags on each building are a nice touch.

4.   All new asphalt around the tower.   Which is surprising since they have been replacing asphalt with pavers and concrete lately.   Nice they put some seating under the tower.   Are the 8 new trees around the tower at each entrance new?

5.  LOTS of seating now.   That is wonderful. The ugly white tables are gone.  The black tables are the same picnic table style, but look much better.   Budget must have only allowed for half of them to receive umbrellas, which all of them should have umbrellas as it is miserable to sit in the heat in the open like that.   The multi-color umbrellas grouped together by color look great.  Let's hope they do upkeep on them.

6.  International Street is now very barren looking with the removal of the large trees.  Winterfest lighting will be underwhelming now as the lights in the trees won't be a canopy like before.   However, its nice there are 22 new trees.   What type of trees are these and how big will they grow?  My personal wish would be another row of trees between the fountain and seating like KD and Canada's Wonderland, to create a canopy of shade.    Overall the landscaping improvements were limited, but the flowers and flower carts at the front look great.  Maybe more to come?

The lack of trees also really exposed those ugly, scaffolding looking lighting towers.

7.  Stage is extended fully in concreate.  Poor performers lost their shade from the previous trees.  It will be brutal if they perform before sundown.   Off the Charts has 6:00 shows on Sat and 7:00 shows on all scheduled nights.  It's going to be HOT for them some of those nights, and the sun in going to be in the audience's faces.

8.  The fountain, mixed feelings.    My opinion was the pedestals were outdated and I personally prefer jets out of the water like the current design.  It is 100% pure water, which is beautiful.    There are over 100 jets, but they are smallish in diameter.  They do shoot up fairly far in the air however.    There is water EVERYWHERE in the air when the new fountains are peaking.

The lighting is not good .  It is all from the lightning towers.  From the front of the fountain, it looks OK, but from the sides, there are just streaks of light across the water.  I am supposing this was a budget and/or maintenance issue.   If lights need maintenance, they are not under water.     But it's the weakest  fountain lighting at any of the International Streets

Are the groups of jets locked together in the same pattern, or is there it possibility of them operating independently to synchronize to music?

Overall, it is a much better feeling and look on International Street compared to last year.  Much cleaner looking and more seating makes it a place to "hang out," where before it was a place to "walk through".   Improvements will be made with landscaping with annuals most likely.  There is definitely room for improvement with the fountain lighting and additional tree installation.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Vortex said:

It’s going to be hard not seeing this when you walk in the park.

75D859E8-3987-4AC9-B5DE-643DFF969FD2.jpeg

252040D8-E920-4085-9B90-7471D74D91EE.jpeg

The classic look is 100x better then what is there now. The Royal Fountain is a part of International Street, and it had its own character, the pedestals/water bowls was what made it give off that international feel, having a Las Vegas style fountain does not fit with what the Royal Fountain, and International Street as a whole is about.  Now we have thanks to Paramount, they removed the Les Taxis classic car ride right behind the Eiffel Tower, and Cedar Fair removed the Royal Fountains pedestals in front of the Eiffel Tower, now the only thing giving off an international feel is the European style buildings, they got that part right, but now thanks to trying to be ‘modern’ is half of it is surrounded by less charm, and modern entertainment. Missed the mark by a mile! 

I'll reserve judgement on the fountains until after Memorial Day when they are allegedly going to be working the way they're supposed to.  With the current set up, there is a lot of potential, especially if they can work in some unique water jet patterns with some movement, something that catches the eye.  

I do hope they put lights actually in the fountain as before though.  

• Like 3

Remember, that the fountain shows (both the night time and day time versions) are not supposed to debut until Memorial Day weekend.  I am sure they are still fine tuning the programming of the fountains with the lights and sound.  And, yesterday and Friday were considerably windy at times, so I am sure they adjusted the fountain to compensate for the winds.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I think people just miss what was old. Like original old. Kings Island generally excels at what they do and I'm sure this will not be an exception. Maybe we are getting a GiGaFountain? Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think it’s more a case of people see there was so much potential in a “major renovation” that wasn’t met. There were design choices that seemed like lateral moves or down grades. For me it has nothing to do with “wanting the old back” but more seeing where it could’ve been better. 

• Like 2

Yeah I agree with Brent. I think what I dislike is how they removed the “grand” elements from the fountains, which I would consider to be the pedestals and the high shooting water. It might still be the same height now or even higher, but the little streams aren’t impressive. The water that used to come out of the fountains was substantial, now it’s tiny streams like in a mall. It reminds me of the fountain that used to be at Tri County Mall, if anyone remembers that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

Yeah I agree with Brent. I think what I dislike is how they removed the “grand” elements from the fountains, which I would consider to be the pedestals and the high shooting water. It might still be the same height now or even higher, but the little streams aren’t impressive. The water that used to come out of the fountains was substantial, now it’s tiny streams like in a mall. It reminds me of the fountain that used to be at Tri County Mall, if anyone remembers that. 

Totally tri county! Lol. I don’t think it’s that bad, and I think if all the other “hinted at” elements were there it wouldn’t feel so unimpressive. I get operationally that this will also make the rink bigger at winter fest, and make that conversion easier (like did anyone REALLY think they removed two pedestals with cranes for winterfest and were EVER bringing them back to do that every year?) But, I also think that it’s a fail to not have at least the intended day “show” operation working when you know you’re making a big change, to a devoted fan base, you’ve hyped it up, and what you put on show is underwhelming. It’s early in the season-got it- but if this isn’t the “final product” I wish they hadn’t put it out there until it was really ready. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, brent said:

But, I also think that it’s a fail to not have at least the intended day “show” operation working when you know you’re making a big change, to a devoted fan base, you’ve hyped it up, and what you put on show is underwhelming. It’s early in the season-got it- but if this isn’t the “final product” I wish they hadn’t put it out there until it was really ready. 

It seems its "Devoted Fan Base" as you put it, assuming that is you (can't really tell by your multiple negative posts in this thread) is not giving the park the benefit of the doubt. I would assume the devoted fans would want to be flexible in giving the park a chance. I have stated in this thread (after talking to the park) that the park is not done with the fountains and they are still working it. I  reached out to the park, gave an answer, but that does not seem good enough for a select few of its "devoted fan base."  

Being there Friday and Saturday all rides that were able to operate in that cold were up and going. The park was operating like mid summer, not an opening day. I thought it was one of the best opening days as far as park operations were concerned since I have been going to opening days. I have not missed one in 10 years. The fountains not being complete did not impact me enjoying my day at the park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

I mean, I’ve given them everything else. The park looks amazing and I am impressed, they just seem to have fallen short on the fountains. Even with a better choreographed show and lighting, it’s not going to be like it was. People are allowed to be disappointed. Tiny streams timed to music isn’t going to impress me much haha. I am done talking about the fountains. 

23 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

I mean, I’ve given them everything else. The park looks amazing and I am impressed, they just seem to have fallen short on the fountains. Even with a better choreographed show and lighting, it’s not going to be like it was. People are allowed to be disappointed. Tiny streams timed to music isn’t going to impress me much haha. I am done talking about the fountains. 

The water is thicker in person. The height is very nice, definitely taller than before.

• Like 3

I have to say that I’m very happy with the new fountain set up. It was definitely in need of an upgrade so I’m glad it was finally done. I am very well aware that they are not complete with the fountain yet and was told that the big fountain shows would debut Memorial Day weekend. So I’m gonna wait until then to decide just how much I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

And this is why the park calls KIC the Kings Island Complainers. Those little perks we used to get, guess what they are likely no more. 

Sure, we can just all collectively agree that Kings Island can do no wrong. Every single thing they add is great for the park and looks good. Would you be saying this about the people who complained about BLSC replacing antique cars? Some people won’t like what the park does. If the park really doesn’t allow KIC “perks” anymore because a few users disliked its fountain display, that’s childish. 

• Like 3

I think "puny" is the word most are looking for.  Currently the fountains look "less grand" than they have in the past.  The water jets are thinner, and thus doesn't visually fill the pool like the wider jets did.

Hopefully they'll work to improve the volume. 

I will say, I am camp pedestals.  I miss them very much, I loved seeing those every time I was there.  I have a funny feeling their removal had as much to do with ease of Winterfest set-up as much or more so than it did any beautification project.

Personally, I think if the park returned the fountain base color to a richer, bolder or deeper blue - like in the 1980's - the fountains would probably look better.  Frankly, the VERY light color of the pool base obscures the fountain water jets a great deal - has for years.  Also, IMO a darker blue would have "shown" better with the now-vibrant color scheme of the IS buildings.... and the pipes at the bottom would be hidden.

Overall, I think IS looks better than it has in years.  Seriously.  And if the trade off is the loss of the pedestals then I *guess* its worth it.  But I'm old - so I had to see things from my childhood "retired."  ;-)

See below '80s look for reference.

vintage-kings-island-postcard-05.jpg?for

51805593_2134945846599350_32809633165893

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

And this is why the park calls KIC the Kings Island Complainers. Those little perks we used to get, guess what they are likely no more. 

100% on everything. But the latter part, is kind of my fault in a way, but just as much as on other unnamed people. I really just wish people would be happy with how Cedar Fair has treated the park. I agree, we have a right to say "this would have been better like this", but at least it wasnt fully butchered.

• Like 1

I miss the pedestals, but after seeing it working in person on Saturday I think that the increased number of jets, the taller height, and their new versatility more than compensate for the loss of the pedestals. They look very good now and I'm excited to see what they've done by Memorial Day weekend. The fountain by the real Eiffel Tower, which inspired the Royal Fountain, does not have pedestals but has the jets shooting straight from the water. I do have nitpicks over International Street--but the new Royal Fountain is not one of them.

• Like 5

A lot of you guys are right,  the park is not done yet with the fountain, so to judge based on what it is now is not right.  I think everybody wants the best for the park.. I can't wait to see what it looks like by Memorial Day,  if its anything as superb as the rest of what they've done this year, my guess is we'll all be very happy.  

• Like 1

Please know that sharing your opinion is fine where it be you love it or your disappointment. I for one do miss the pedestals, but I think there is potential with the new system that we have not seen yet. I have verified with the park that they are still working on it, whatever changes/improvements from this past weekend that may be.

The part that I do no think is fair, is after hearing that it is still a work in progress, and still call it a fail. Then to ask to not display it until completely ready. To me that is not being a reasonable fan of the park. 

• Like 4