International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

And this is why the park calls KIC the Kings Island Complainers. Those little perks we used to get, guess what they are likely no more. 

I have never once heard anyone in Admin at "the park" call KIC "complainers."  Actually, I know they monitor the boards for unsolicited feedback - good and bad.

What you see/read here actually has little difference from what the public says.  Cincinnati people know and love KI with a passion... and they recognize and discuss the changes (good and bad) through the years.

...and trust me, the people running the park have opinions just like anyone else - and are just as impassioned.

• Like 5

I personally like the updated/old look of International Street. The colorful buildings, pavers, nicer seating areas and open format remind me of being a kid when the park first opened. Also I visited for a few hours this past Saturday and the fountains were shooting up nice and high. Change is good in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Please know that sharing your opinion is fine where it be you love it or your disappointment. I for one do miss the pedestals, but I think there is potential with the new system that we have not seen yet. I have verified with the park that they are still working on it, whatever changes/improvements from this past weekend that may be.

The part that I do no think is fair, is after hearing that it is still a work in progress, and still call it a fail. Then to ask to not display it until completely ready. To me that is not being a reasonable fan of the park. 

Absolutely! It’s no a fair assessment when you don’t have all the information. 

13 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I have never once heard anyone in Admin at "the park" call KIC "complainers."  Actually, I think they probably monitor the boards for unsolicited feedback - good and bad.

...and trust me, the people running the park have opinions just like anyone else - and are just as impassioned.

@IndyGuy4KI was witness to it this weekend. 

It just cracks me up with how people were so excited when this was announced, but now it’s like “no not like that.”

1 minute ago, Creed Bratton said:

Absolutely! It’s no a fair assessment when you don’t have all the information. 

@IndyGuy4KI was witness to it this weekend. 

It just cracks me up with how people were so excited when this was announced, but now it’s like “no not like that.”

It’s like “no not like that” because people didn’t expect them to change the fountains like they did. Maybe we do know that there is more to the fountains BUT you can get a pretty good idea of what they’re like and capable of at this point. So yes, I am disappointed. Life goes on. I will continue to visit the park regularly, it’s water. 

• Like 1

There's a sense in which KI can't win here with the fan community. The fountain is an iconic piece of King Island; that view upon walking in to the park is the first view we have, and it's what we identify with the park (the sound of the water, for instance, tweaks my nostalgia just as much as the site of it). And there's a sense in which nothing Kings Island could do would please fans because it's simply different from what we're used to. Something has changed. In time, that won't matter, but love for a park is rooted so heavily in nostalgia that even a small change to an iconic piece of park history is going to feel off. 

That said, I haven't been to the park this year (we'll be getting down there probably in late July). What I've seen, I like. The colors really pop on IS. Those pavers are beautiful. I love that the streets look wider and could be less congested. And even though I miss the pedestals, I like the cleaner look of a show fountain. It's a bit less regal (royal?) but I think it still fits. In a few years, it will feel just right -- and if they incorporate it into a great evening show, all the better. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

It’s like “no not like that” because people didn’t expect them to change the fountains like they did. Maybe we do know that there is more to the fountains BUT you can get a pretty good idea of what they’re like and capable of at this point. So yes, I am disappointed. Life goes on. I will continue to visit the park regularly, it’s water. 

Here's the thing, the park didn't have to do anything...they could have kept I-Street the way it was...the fountains could have remained the same...never changing, but I seem to remember back in 2013/4 when Matt Ouimet said that the Kings Parks would all be receiving an upgrade, most were disappointed when it didn't come as soon as they thought it was. Everyone seemed to be talking about how they wanted I-Street to be more international...they finally listened to that as well as the upgrades to the fountain. 

They don't make any additional monies on these upgrades...but thinking of it from the park perspective...with the people being extremely vocal about how they dislike it, are they going to think it was worth listening to what people wanted? Will they continue to do so from here on out? 

I don't know why the pedestals were removed...but they apparently were removed for a reason or two...but come on...it's a fountain.

• Like 3

Wholeheartedly agree @cdubbs727. In time, the new fountains will just be a part of the park. I hope I haven’t come off as not liking any part of I street. I think it looks amazing. The paint jobs and small details are fantastic. The tables look so much better and the pavers are excellent. 

@Creed Bratton exactly, they’re just fountains. It doesn’t matter. I personally dislike them, but if you like them, awesome. Nobody goes for the fountains, but they are a focal point of the park.. 

• Like 1

International street has definitely changed for the better, I hope for more similar renovations in the coming years. The pedestals while they were nice I feel the new fountains will definitely capture my attention more often due to how dynamic they can be now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

Here's the thing, the park didn't have to do anything...they could have kept I-Street the way it was...the fountains could have remained the same...

Do we know that they didn't have to do anything? It's quite possible (I have no information or plumbing knowledge) that the pedestals were a maintenance nightmare that would otherwise have to be fully overhauled. 

But I agree wholeheartedly with @Creed Bratton. And the fact is, even with the new fountains (whether you like them or not), Kings Island still has one of the most beautiful opening sections in any park. And they double-down on its look and feel. Living in Detroit, my home park is Cedar Point. And I love CP for what it is -- a thrill park. But I hate CP's main Midway. Kings Island's International Street sets a great tone and it's a great place to go when you're a bit tired of lines and rides. CP's midway is basically "You're here for the roller coasters. Just shut up and get going." 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It seems its "Devoted Fan Base" as you put it, assuming that is you (can't really tell by your multiple negative posts in this thread) is not giving the park the benefit of the doubt. I would assume the devoted fans would want to be flexible in giving the park a chance. I have stated in this thread (after talking to the park) that the park is not done with the fountains and they are still working it. I  reached out to the park, gave an answer, but that does not seem good enough for a select few of its "devoted fan base."  

Being there Friday and Saturday all rides that were able to operate in that cold were up and going. The park was operating like mid summer, not an opening day. I thought it was one of the best opening days as far as park operations were concerned since I have been going to opening days. I have not missed one in 10 years. The fountains not being complete did not impact me enjoying my day at the park.

I’m not necessarily a “devoted fan”, just a person in a creative profession that is allowed to voice my professional opinion on a discussion forum. I’m glad opening day went well, sounds like that, as a devoted fan you had a great time. I’m also glad it’s a work in progress, but when you put a product out there in a public way, the public is allowed to provide feedback. As I have stated, once Saturday hit the park was not in “preview” status, but was in regular operating status. Things can certainly be tweaked, added and improved, but once the show opens, the critics can write their reviews. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I read some of the negative thoughts about the fountains on Friday, then went to the park on Saturday and have to say that I was impressed with the fountains. I don't know the fountain total from before, but the little that I saw of them looked like there was more spray going on than before. Granted, it was rainy and I didn't stick around to watch them much, but I thought they looked pretty good.

I was even more impressed with the paint jobs on the buildings and them flying nice big international flags.

• Like 2

I'm going to give the park the benefit of the doubt that they knew what they were doing with the Int'l Street renovations.  The Royal Fountains are a HUGE part of the park's identity and it was a massive risk to make any substantial change to them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imperial79 said:

Okay,   so what is everyone's favorite building now?  Hard to choose since I haven't been there in person yet.    They all look really amazing! 

Here is the page with all of the pictures I got including taking some from the International Restaurant thanks to Chad. You might be able to see some of the buildings in the slideshow.

https://kicentral.com/international-street-2019/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the pictures, @IndyGuy4KI!  International Street looks awesome.  I can't wait to see it in person.  And even though I'm on team pedestal, I know that the people at the park now what they are doing.  People may not like change.  For all we know, the pedestals could return.  Or they could be replicated by programming the jets.  Or they could part of the park's history, with exciting things for the future.  But with all they have done, I think it's too early to tell the final impact.  To express opinions is to be expected in a park we are passionate about.  I think the folks at the park expect that and I would hope that they know individuals do not tell the whole story of a collective.  To the folks who think the removal of the pedestals is a horrible mistake:  wait and see.  To the ones who think the park can never do a wrong, they can.  And to everybody, enjoy this season.  I think it's going to be one for the record books.  As I started saying around this time two years ago, I sense a very good change coming to KI, and I am more excited about the future of the park that I ever have been.

• Like 5

I am looking very forward to seeing the fountains in person, especially with the new fountain show! 

I always felt the pedestals were a little dated looking, and they didn't make it feel grand. I'm sure Kings Island is hoping to transform the fountain into something you'd see at Walt Disney World. Maybe I'm wrong! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

And this is why the park calls KIC the Kings Island Complainers. Those little perks we used to get, guess what they are likely no more. 

I'm betting money that if a member of the staff was recorded saying that and it hit social media, they'd be looking for a job. Calling your most dedicated fans that is just stupid. At times it appears the park has people handling their social media that don't understand social media. If you are in a position to deal with the public for any sized company, let alone one as large as KI, you have to be able to let criticisms roll off your back. 

8 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

After the park went on what sounds like a holy crusade to keep pictures off here because they wanted the whole thing to be a surprise, and for people to wait for opening day to see the finished product, they are asking to be judged on the product that they presented on opening day. If it wasn't going to be done opening day when everyone was going to see it anyway, it's childish to throw a fit over pics at an earlier stage of incompletion. Especially when no one really knew if the pedestals were gone. People clearly care about that. Having pics of them gone, and letting it be known they wouldn't be coming back could have diffused this issue months ago. 

7 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

Here's the thing, the park didn't have to do anything...they could have kept I-Street the way it was...the fountains could have remained the same...never changing, but I seem to remember back in 2013/4 when Matt Ouimet said that the Kings Parks would all be receiving an upgrade, most were disappointed when it didn't come as soon as they thought it was. Everyone seemed to be talking about how they wanted I-Street to be more international...they finally listened to that as well as the upgrades to the fountain. 

They don't make any additional monies on these upgrades...but thinking of it from the park perspective...with the people being extremely vocal about how they dislike it, are they going to think it was worth listening to what people wanted? Will they continue to do so from here on out? 

I don't know why the pedestals were removed...but they apparently were removed for a reason or two...but come on...it's a fountain.

They also don't make any additional money if they never upkeep anything and GP stops coming. Expansions and improvements are how amusement parks keep the crowds coming to pay the bills. KI's purpose for existing is to separate as much money as they can from people. Improvements like the ones this year is one of those ways. Don't pretend they do what they do for our benefit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fryoj said:

I'm betting money that if a member of the staff was recorded saying that and it hit social media, they'd be looking for a job. Calling your most dedicated fans that is just stupid. At times it appears the park has people handling their social media that don't understand social media. If you are in a position to deal with the public for any sized company, let alone one as large as KI, you have to be able to let criticisms roll off your back. 

After the park went on what sounds like a holy crusade to keep pictures off here because they wanted the whole thing to be a surprise, and for people to wait for opening day to see the finished product, they are asking to be judged on the product that they presented on opening day. If it wasn't going to be done opening day when everyone was going to see it anyway, it's childish to throw a fit over pics at an earlier stage of incompletion. Especially when no one really knew if the pedestals were gone. People clearly care about that. Having pics of them gone, and letting it be known they wouldn't be coming back could have diffused this issue months ago. 

They also don't make any additional money if they never upkeep anything and GP stops coming. Expansions and improvements are how amusement parks keep the crowds coming to pay the bills. KI's purpose for existing is to separate as much money as they can from people. Improvements like the ones this year is one of those ways. Don't pretend they do what they do for our benefit.

That’s been my point all along. This “give them time” and “it’s not fair to judge it till it's complete” line doesn’t hold show fountain water. If they want to call April/May “preview days” and communicate that there are still projects being finished, and minimal show offerings, then that’s great. Let people in for a tease at a reduced rate or at least do what Disney does and call it “soft opening” but they don’t. They call it OPENING DAY. Its on. I could care less about pedestals or no pedestals. I just think the overall project could have brought even more to the table. It still might. But as of now the park is open for regular operations. This is the project as they have presented to the public and I will judge it based on what I see presented. I’m certainly one to say “hey, now that they’ve added... its way better than I thought it looked way back in April.” 

• Like 1

Most parks are geared to not be in 'full operation mode' until Memorial Day.  Obviously, they find some benefit in keeping open through May, but the real meat of their business comes between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  Its not uncommon for parks to delay thing until then. Six Flags is notorious for opening their new things around then.  Thus, this whole thing about the fountain not being finished isn't that surprising to me.   KI also doesn't really play up their opening day unless there's a new big coaster or thrill ride.  Not everyone can do an opening day like the Reds do.  KI's business doesn't completely hinge on having a good opening day or not.  

If you go into KI's opening day expecting the park to be on par in operations as they are mid-July, you're kidding yourself. 

• Like 5

I do agree that it would have been nice if the park was honest and up front when they posted the pictures on January 16 of the pedestals removed and against the buildings to simply say something like the pedestals will soon be replaced by a brand new re-imagined jet fountain, or say farewell to the original pedestals.  It would have given time for everyone to let go of a piece of the original history of the park before seeing the new re-imagined “Vegas style” fountain.  And likely in the future even this new fountain will replaced by something else.

• Like 3

I'd also like to add that they didn't have since October like a normal off season. They had to start after Winterfest, and add on to that the fact that SW Ohio had a brutal winter and its honestly amazing they got I-Street as good looking as it is with all that extensive paint work and tile work in that amount of time.  The fountain's gonna be a bit more complicated than sprucing up a few buildings, especially since they can't test out the water until its relatively warm (March was pretty cold).  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Most parks are geared to not be in 'full operation mode' until Memorial Day.  Obviously, they find some benefit in keeping open through May, but the real meat of their business comes between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  Its not uncommon for parks to delay thing until then. Six Flags is notorious for opening their new things around then.  Thus, this whole thing about the fountain not being finished isn't that surprising to me.   KI also doesn't really play up their opening day unless there's a new big coaster or thrill ride.  Not everyone can do an opening day like the Reds do.  KI's business doesn't completely hinge on having a good opening day or not.  

If you go into KI's opening day expecting the park to be on par in operations as they are mid-July, you're kidding yourself. 

I agree! Here in Cincinnati, we get all four seasons in April and sometimes into May. It makes sense that fountain cannot run properly or be done. It is difficult to get plumbing tested when pipes are frozen, so they have only had a few weeks to work on it! 

I think that the new fountain will look great at night! I was NEVER impressed with it during the day, although, it was a pretty feature! I love the color pops on the buildings as well! Hopefully I will make it this weekend to see everything! The color takes away the concrete jungle feel that matches the rest of the Greater Cincinnati area! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, fryoj said:

I'm betting money that if a member of the staff was recorded saying that and it hit social media, they'd be looking for a job.

Why would they be fired? It was said in private and is none of our business. Most of us have jobs/careers where we privately complain about the dimwittedness of our clients. It is a fairly normal thing.

Let's be real here. Last Friday, the GP showed up on a cold, abysmal day with freezing rain that felt like nails hitting your skin on Diamondback, leaving their bodies shaking and their hands frozen stiff, just to enjoy another day at KI, ride some rides, and have some fun. I doubt they'd stop coming because a couple of pedestals were removed. 

• Like 4

I think many of you are missing the point that a few of us are trying to make. No one said that people would stop coming to the park or that the fountains looks horrible because they aren’t ready. What I was getting at is that they don’t look as nice as they used to, at least to me. That’s all that I was saying and a few others too. No one is arguing that it reduces guest experience. Sure, they might not be completely finished, but as I said before, you can get a pretty good idea of how they are going to operate normally by how they operate now. I think the squiggle down the middle looks silly and the streams are thin and weak. That’s all. Still nice though. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Why would they be fired? It was said in private and is none of our business. Most of us have jobs/careers where we privately complain about the dimwittedness of our clients. It is a fairly normal thing.

Let's be real here. Last Friday, the GP showed up on a cold, abysmal day with freezing rain that felt like nails hitting your skin on Diamondback, leaving their bodies shaking and their hands frozen stiff, just to enjoy another day at KI, ride some rides, and have some fun. I doubt they'd stop coming because a couple of pedestals were removed. 

So are you saying KIC members are dimwitted? Do you count yourself in that? You do realize that you'd be included in that staff members opinion right? 

But maybe you are right. Maybe Kings Island and Cedar Fair management could care less about KIC and the enthusiast community and encourage their staff to talk down upon them.