International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

I am concerned about the Kings Island Complainers comment.  I think, if that is true, it should be sourced or it should not have been said in a public forum in the first place.  Why bring this point out, which could potentially put park employees in a negative light?  I mean, I can see how that label would fit on several people here (some prominent and some not), but that just sounds like something that needs to be kept private.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fryoj said:

So are you saying KIC members are dimwitted?

I apologize. I shouldn't have used the word "dimwitted," and I certainly didn't mean to imply (nor did I say) KIC members were as such, as I was speaking from my own experiences, as well as the experiences people have shared with me. My intent was to say that most people complain about people every day at their jobs, that it is not that big of a deal, was said in private and probably in jest, and someone shouldn't necessarily be fired for it as implied. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silver2005 said:

And that cold makes it harder to work on extensive outdoor plumbing- ergo, the fountain may have been behind schedule.  

I don't think so.  They run plumbing in the winter all the time outdoors.  The water inlet isn't below freezing, and they likely aren't testing it until the system is complete.  I don't feel like they were behind schedule.  They likely had a target date of Memorial Day to get everything dialed in.  They could have opened the park without the fountains open for all that it matters.  The fountains work, they just aren't synched to the fireworks show yet.

Ok, listen...

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I-Street has had a positive (and beautiful) transformation. Entrances are the focal point of a park and seeing the updated street is not only refreshing but it looks absolutely amazing. The new paint coats, flags, pavers, seating, etc. is something that needed to be done but (in my opinion) isn't something that we realized needed to be done. As for the fountains, I share a common opinion that the pedestals should probably return and I do agree that the fountain looks a little baren without them. I cannot remember who said it, but I agree if we give this time the fountain will look good without the pedestals.

Also, what's up with the "Kings Island Complainers" stuff?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Looks like the pedestals were never part of the original plans to start off with, also Frontierland?

In regards to aesthetics, the new fountains are amazing!

That looks so cool the way it looks like an actual street with a giant fountain in the middle. I wish the pavers could’ve been arranged in a way to give more of them that impression in a nod to the original design concept. 

• Like 1

Having not seen it in person there's just a few things that would make it much more impressive looking through the pics.  I think this would have been a great time to reintroduce the rock and junipers (?) that used to border the fountain originally.  The sod is just meh, and seems like an unnecessary upkeep decision as well.  I am glad that they didn't go lagoon dark fountain but as it is now it just seems so bright giving the water a white look,  a medium blue would have been a more formal look.   Lastly I don't hate the light stands but think they should have been for fountain show purposes,  having in pool lights being used primarily for ambiance without always needing the light stands flanking the sides.   Also didn't think I'd miss the pedestals as much as I do but I think changing the other things could make me miss them considerably less.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Ok, listen...

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I-Street has had a positive (and beautiful) transformation.

You do not speak for everyone with that opinion. I'm actually shocked at how poorly done much of this is.

My question is why? 

Why were the pedestals removed? 

Why were the shade trees that took 25 plus years to became shade trees cut down? 

Why were big ugly metal light stands columns added lining the fountain?

I'm shocked at the sight of the fountains going from the Kings Island fountains we all knew and loved and becoming a large reflecting pool with several jet fountains.

Throw barbs at me all you want for "being negative."I just call it like I see it. The positive additions of fresh paint and pavers are far outweighed by what's been lost in the trees and pedestals, and I can see I'm not the only one that feels that way. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, KI Guy said:

You do not speak for everyone with that opinion. I'm actually shocked at how poorly done much of this is.

My question is why? 

Why were the shade trees that took 25 plus years to became shade trees cut down? 

I'm shocked at the sight of the fountains going from the Kings Island fountains we all knew and loved and becoming a large reflecting pool with several jet fountains.

Throw barbs at me all you want for "being negative."I just call it like I see it. The positive additions of fresh paint and pavers are far outweighed by what's been lost in the trees and pedestals, and I can see I'm not the only one that feels that way. 

I agree with you, well said

7 hours ago, KI Guy said:

My question is why? 

As for the pedestals, I agree without them the fountain looks kind of empty without them. I would actually like to find out why they were removed.

As for the tree, I kept hearing that they probably reached the end of their life and from that point on they would have been a liability. 

The metal light stands I agree are pretty ugly to look at. They instead could have probably put the lights a ground level.

And yeah, I see how not everything that changed was good, but overall I think we can say that the new street looks pretty good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KI Guy said:

Because they were rusted out and their new versatility is incompatible with them.

Because their falling leaves were causing issues with freezing the ice for the skating rink. That's why they were significantly trimmed last year and are gone this year. The tables have nice-colored umbrellas that don't ruin the design of the buildings.

These have been there since 2017. They were added for Winterfest, although the trees did a good job of hiding them. I agree that they are horrifically ugly.

There's many more nozzles of water than there was before.

8 hours ago, Shaggy said:

BTW... just for reference...  Kings Island’s International Street fountains were based largely on “The fountains of Warsaw” installed in the “Jardins du Trocadéro” as a part of the 1937 Paris Exhibition  next to the real Eiffel Tower in Paris.

https://images.app.goo.gl/pCh2QTSJ92SSsc3d9

The “Fountains of Warsaw” is an artillery nozzle style fountain - the large bank of artillery nozzles is what makes this fountain amazing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Because they were rusted out and their new versatility is incompatible with them.

Because their falling leaves were causing issues with freezing the ice for the skating rink. That's why they were significantly trimmed last year and are gone this year. The tables have nice-colored umbrellas that don't ruin the design of the buildings.

These have been there since 2017. They were added for Winterfest, although the trees did a good job of hiding them. I agree that they are horrifically ugly.

There's many more nozzles of water than there was before.

Couldn't have said that better! I never really thought of those reasons.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

The “Fountains of Warsaw” is an artillery nozzle style fountain - the large bank of artillery nozzles is what makes this fountain amazing.

You can swim in the fountain?? I have a new reason to have Paris on my trip bucket list! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

If that's the case, it's a shame that the park sacrificed year-round landscaping (and superior winterfest lighting) for a 6 week upcharge attraction...….

24 minutes ago, super7 said:

If that's the case, it's a shame that the park sacrificed year-round landscaping (and superior winterfest lighting) for a 6 week upcharge attraction...….

International Street is so much more open without the trees. Most importantly, for me at least, the original design intent of forced perspective has been restored.

(and superior winterfest lighting)

You can see into the future? Amazing!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

As one of the Admins, I will say that criticism is welcome on the site. We only ask that it is done respectfully. If you are going to give a criticism, give details about the situation. State how you would have liked it to go and why. That adds to the conversation on KIC and the park can see it and understand the situation and adjust. 

When members start exaggerating the truth, a few members seem to only post negatives about the park, and posts that are not being constructive in their criticism; that is when the park may get the impression that people come to KIC just to complain. 

At this point lets move past that conversation and get back on topic please.

Here are 2 of my favorite shots taken from the International Restaurant on Friday. 

20190419_190235.jpg20190419_190231.jpg

If you didn't know any better (rides aside and other clues), you could think these pictures are 30+ years old.  Such a vintage vibe...I love it!

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 2:29 PM, teenageninja said:

I don't think so.  They run plumbing in the winter all the time outdoors.  The water inlet isn't below freezing, and they likely aren't testing it until the system is complete.  I don't feel like they were behind schedule.  They likely had a target date of Memorial Day to get everything dialed in.  They could have opened the park without the fountains open for all that it matters.  The fountains work, they just aren't synched to the fireworks show yet.

Doing anything outside, is much more difficult at 0 degrees than it is at 30 degrees and wet.  Its hard to do a lot of construction things with warm (ie bulky) gloves on, so many take their gloves off, work for 15 min, then put them on and try to warm up again.

Additionally, we had a very wet winter/spring.  Several inches above normal.  When it rains/snows, trenches, ponds, fountains, etc... tend to fill up and either have to be pumped, gravity drained before work can resume.  There are also other trades to consider, electrical mainly in this case, perhaps some structural/concrete work.  When a ditch is full of water, that water has to be removed one way or another before work can be done in it. I have no clue if the fountains are on schedule, behind schedule or ahead of schedule, but it wasn't a great winter for outdoor plumbing and construction.  However, the construction schedule likely accounted for some poor weather as there is never an ideal winter in this part of the world for outdoor work.

Finally, you are correct; they would not have tested the system until it was complete.  First would come an air pressure test to make sure there are no leaks in the system before filling the system with water.  it doesn't really matter what the water inlet temperature is, all water on exposed pipes would have been drained over the winter anyways to prevent those pipes from freezing.

• Like 1

While I do not agree with some individual decisions, overall International street looks better than I can ever remember.  The light stands are the worst element and just feel out of place, I know there were some before, no idea if it’s same number or locations as before but without the trees they just stand out and do not blend in.

It feels weird looking at the fountain without the pedestals.  It’s like something is missing.  But I agree with the decision, I think it is a logical modernization and once the entire system is operational it will become more obvious why they were removed and a year or two from now it will feel normal.

• Like 2