International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

6 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

Since the old ones was rusted,  couldn't they have just bought new ones?   What was the company that made them?  

Yes, they could have, but I'd imagine it was a cost issue.

Beware of anytime something simpler is pitched as "modern", it usually means cheaper ;)

When I think of the Kings Island fountain, I think of those pedestals.

Here's to hoping this is righted at some point in the future a la the Glockenspiel, which they did an EXCELLENT job on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sol44 said:

I have seen several references to the fountain not being fully operational. Can anyone elaborate and what exactly wasn’t or isn’t complete? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The park has said they are still working on it. We do not know what additional changes that will bring. 

1 hour ago, brent said:

Anyone else notice the info about international restaurant reopening for “special dining events” through the season. Could we be testing the possibility of a full reopen down the road? 

Here is the link!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/events/international-restaurant-dining-experiences

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sol44 said:

I have seen several references to the fountain not being fully operational. Can anyone elaborate and what exactly wasn’t or isn’t complete? Thanks!

If it puts it into any more perspective, the sprayers for the fountain are clearly Home Depot caps on the flanges with holes drilled into them.  This was the alternative to simply not having a fountain at all for the first few weekends.

What I’m saying is, to think it’s not done because it’s simply not synced up to music is the understatement of the week.

Stay tuned.

• Like 2

While I love the charm of Kings Dominion IS, I wasn't impressed with their Royal Fountain. Part of it, I think, is the berm that obscures a clear view of the Royal Fountain when you enter the park. When I went in 2017, the fountains sprayed like this. I can see a similarly in the fountain program from the KI of my youth (there was a sequence where the fountains would work up to a creshendo and then go back to a minimum flow, the sound of all the water at maximum volume and then almost silent except for the water spilling out of the pedestal bowls is etched in my mind). As I've said before, the Royal Fountain of the past might be a happy memory or it might be much better than I anticipate. My pedestal preference, though, I'd gladly give up for everything else the park has restored for this season.

I'm surprised that no one (that I recall) has discussed the flagpoles. I don't mind them being front and center.

Finally, does anyone reading this thread, think we will see a resurgence of the 70s and 80s KI logo? I was thinking we might see it in front of the Royal Fountain, replacing the current logo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

While I love the charm of Kings Dominion IS, I wasn't impressed with their Royal Fountain. Part of it, I think, is the berm that obscures a clear view of the Royal Fountain when you enter the park. When I went in 2017, the fountains sprayed like this. I can see a similarly in the fountain program from the KI of my youth (there was a sequence where the fountains would work up to a creshendo and then go back to a minimum flow, the sound of all the water at maximum volume and then almost silent except for the water spilling out of the pedestal bowls is etched in my mind). As I've said before, the Royal Fountain of the past might be a happy memory or it might be much better than I anticipate. My pedestal preference, though, I'd gladly give up for everything else the park has restored for this season.

I'm surprised that no one (that I recall) has discussed the flagpoles. I don't mind them being front and center.

Finally, does anyone reading this thread, think we will see a resurgence of the 70s and 80s KI logo? I was thinking we might see it in front of the Royal Fountain, replacing the current logo.

I don’t see the old logo returning except maybe in apparel items. Clearly CF has corporate branding standards that seem to apply to all of their parks (but knotts- who seems to have their own style logo) so I don’t thing they would use the old in a permanent way. I’d live to be wrong as I really don’t think the current logo says anything about the history of the park. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Anyone know why the restaurant became not-open to the public? I’d assume it was for logistical reason.

I believe it was originally because of accessibility codes. There was only stair access to the restaurant, and they were now required by law to have wheelchair access. A few years ago they added the elevator, and since then it has slowly begun to be used again for events.

15 hours ago, KI Guy said:

Yes, they could have, but I'd imagine it was a cost issue.

Beware of anytime something simpler is pitched as "modern", it usually means cheaper ;)

When I think of the Kings Island fountain, I think of those pedestals.

I'd assume the removal of the pedestals was more due to Winterfest - wasn't the park already taking out half of them for the ice rink? And having to work around the remaining few? Having a flat, clear surface will make operating and maintaining that ice rink a lot easier.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

I'd assume the removal of the pedestals was more due to Winterfest - wasn't the park already taking out half of them for the ice rink? And having to work around the remaining few? Having a flat, clear surface will make operating and maintaining that ice rink a lot easier.

They took out two this year, but I think that was honestly a way to get a start in the renovation, not desk people out, and only take out the two “not needed” for wintetefest. They never even hinted during winterfest that they were reinstalling them. People only assumed as such. It’s intetesting that KI is the only winterfest park that had the challenge of those. I actually liked them at winter fest as it gave height and depth to the rink and kind of kept people from getting crazy. instead of just being a hockey rink. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Does anyone know how good the food at the restaurant is (because I haven't)? That is, if anyone has had the chance to eat there........

I eat there during winter fest, didn’t like the food that much. I’m going to try again during the Grand Carnival event this year and hope it taste better.

2 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I eat there during winter fest, didn’t like the food that much. I’m going to try again during the Grand Carnival event this year and hope it taste better.

Ok thanks! Reason I ask is because I heard the food there was decent but yeah I will be sure to go during Grand Carnival.

1 hour ago, TombraiderTy said:

Here is last year. We need to page @pianoman to know for certain how many pedestals were removed.

I think I will miss the decorations in the center if they don't add them another way this season at WF.

20181231_212424.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Here is last year. We need to page @pianoman to know for certain how many pedestals were removed.

I think I will miss the decorations in the center if they don't add them another way this season at WF.

20181231_212424.jpg

I am going to guess during Winterfest they removed 2 of them because according to the photo that I have shows there are six and in the photo @IndyGuy4KI provided there are four by the looks of it.

Image result for kings island fountain 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Does anyone know how good the food at the restaurant is (because I haven't)? That is, if anyone has had the chance to eat there........

I have eaten there at the last two Winterfests and I have really enjoyed it.

I’m so happy it’s reopening this summer and not just for Winterfest! :D 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I agree with you about KD's fountain....the berm really doesn't make a pretty entrance..let me see the fountain please! I felt like KD's fountains just kinda were there...nothing great...the last time I watched them, it didn't seem that they did much. 

I mentioned to @pianoman this past weekend, it was nice to be able to actually hear the water splatter throughout the fountains....it didn't just seem like a rush and water falling off the side of the pedestal bowls. 

I have mentioned in private to a few folks about my surprise that the flag poles were still located at the front of the fountain...I can understand why (it's not really all that easy when you get down to it, to move them)....but I could find a better place for them if they decided to relocate them in the future.

Here is last year. We need to page [mention=10611]pianoman[/mention] to know for certain how many pedestals were removed.
20181231_212424.thumb.jpg.b9ecd297fd271ca8f86e93fc67613162.jpg

Last year during Winterfest, the 2 pedestals closest to the bandstand were removed. The other 4 were left in place for the ice rink. I’m kinda curious as to what the park did with them. I’m assuming they just tore them apart and threw them in the trash.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 8:03 PM, CoastersRZ said:

Remember, that the fountain shows (both the night time and day time versions) are not supposed to debut until Memorial Day weekend.  I am sure they are still fine tuning the programming of the fountains with the lights and sound.  And, yesterday and Friday were considerably windy at times, so I am sure they adjusted the fountain to compensate for the winds.

My sister was just like a lot of people on here who aren't impressed with the look of the new fountains. I for one was impressed! I loved how everything looked updated and refreshed around International street. We were talking to the people who work on the train and they said they had to take the pedestals out due to rotted out and heavy corrosion. Yes I know I shouldn't trust sources coming from KI & MV railroad, but these people seemed to know what they were talking about. I'm sure the same thing could be said about Cedar Point and not trusting sources coming from the lemon chill guy. With that said, I believe they're still working on the fountains and we will be more impressed once Memorial Day weekend comes.

• Like 1

First 2019 visit today, I think International Street looks fantastic. Even thought the fountains looked cool. Love the pavers, the buildings, the flags.

Only negative is the light poles. They really stick out now.

Grade: A-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I first saw photos of the new International Street, one of the first things I noticed was the new small trees planted out in the middle of the pavers. I really liked the way they looked, and looked forward to the shade they will eventually provide when they grow. However, my prediction in the meantime was “people are going to walk right into those things.”

Last night as I was walking out of the park, I saw it happen firsthand. I have a feeling it won’t be the last time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2019 at 8:55 AM, TombraiderTy said:

I seriously doubt Winterfest had anything to do with it. All incarnations of Winterfest until last year did just fine with (all six of) the pedestals in the fountain.

I think someone looked at the estimate for replacement or refurbished pedestals and I thought "we're going to go another direction".

I hope someday the same decision is not made for the Eiffel Tower.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KI Guy said:

I seriously doubt Winterfest had anything to do with it. All incarnations of Winterfest until last year did just fine with (all six of) the pedestals in the fountain.

I think someone looked at the estimate for replacement or refurbished pedestals and I thought "we're going to go another direction".

I hope someday the same decision is not made for the Eiffel Tower.

You mean you won't be impressed with 2021's "Virtual Eiffel Tower light show"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

When I first saw photos of the new International Street, one of the first things I noticed was the new small trees planted out in the middle of the pavers. I really liked the way they looked, and looked forward to the shade they will eventually provide when they grow. However, my prediction in the meantime was “people are going to walk right into those things.”

Last night as I was walking out of the park, I saw it happen firsthand. I have a feeling it won’t be the last time. 

I agree with the shade idea. Also, half of the people walking on International Street are too busy on their phones or looking at everything else around them rather than ahead of them. People running into the trees are just flat out doing out of their own stupidity! 

• Haha 1