International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

18 minutes ago, Number5IsAlive said:

The fountain "upgrade" was certainly botched if you ask me, I would much rather look at the old (actual) fountains. They took something majestic, and made it look like a pond at an apartment complex.

I don't want to be all negative, so I will say that the new antique cars looks incredible.

I’m waiting to make my full judgement after Memorial Day weekend. We’ve been told that they aren’t finished and won’t be until that time. Another user said that they’re running the old programs through these nozzles, so they aren’t being utilized to their full potential. 

I can agree that something seems off about them. They don’t look as majestic or fitting to KI, and they do not compliment the tower very well.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Part of the lack of “magisticness” may be that the lights in the fountain don’t work yet. 

Before the royal fountains were the spectacle. But apparently now the fountains have to rely on aesthetic lighting otherwise they look like they do...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Number5IsAlive said:

Before the royal fountains were the spectacle. But apparently now the fountains have to rely on aesthetic lighting otherwise they look like they do...

So you want three stands back? That's it? I'm sure they could add them back to make people happy. Last year and maybe the years before the stands never seemed to do much. Never saw them as high as they used to be.

I think there were 6 pedestals? Or at least 5. I think what I liked was the symmetry. I’m impressed with the new fountains though. They do seem to shoot much higher and seem a bit more grand than before. That’s why I’m excited to see the entire finished product. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Number5IsAlive said:

I want money to go towards improvements. Not lateral moves or even regression. 

I believe that this is absolutely an improvement. It already looks very good and I can't wait to see the final result. The water shoots much higher and there are many more nozzles than before. 

• Like 2

Daily operations begin In just two days on May 15, so if there is additional work to do on the new fountain with any nozzles or plumbing, time is becoming very limited.  Lighting can always be worked on after hours, and there will still be a few daylight hours before park opening for work.  Waiting to see the total completed fountain over Memorial Day weekend.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, KIghostguy said:

I believe that this is absolutely an improvement. It already looks very good and I can't wait to see the final result. The water shoots much higher and there are many more nozzles than before. 

Quantity does not make quality. 

On 5/12/2019 at 12:57 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

Part of the lack of “magisticness” may be that the lights in the fountain don’t work yet. 

Lighting should add to the experience in an outdoor environment, not BE the experience in an outdoor environment. That means for the bulk of the day you have a sub-standard product. I could care less about bowls on pedestals. I just think they didn’t design/execute this in a way to give a robust daytime experience. Even something like KD “mass” of water down the center would’ve worked with the little squiggle of squirts down the middle they have. But on a positive note, the additional sign details look great. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, brent said:

Lighting should add to the experience in an outdoor environment, not BE the experience in an outdoor environment. That means for the bulk of the day you have a sub-standard product. I could care less about bowls on pedestals. I just think they didn’t design/execute this in a way to give a robust daytime experience. Even something like KD “mass” of water down the center would’ve worked with the little squiggle of squirts down the middle they have. But on a positive note, the additional sign details look great. 

I agree, but my point is that even the uplights aren't working yet.  It shows you how little of the project we've actually seen in motion.  Once the programmable elements of the fountain are a thing then it's time to pass judgement.  I agree that if what we have now was all of it I would feel very "meh" about it too, but the best days are ahead.  I'm not saying you'll be blown away by what you see in a couple of weeks, but I do think that reserving judgement until the fountain does its thing is what we need to be focused on.

Also, it's fair to like the new fountain and also miss the pedestals - just like how it's fair to have hated the pedestals and still hate the new fountain.  As things stand now, yeah, I'd also want them back, but we can't really let nostalgia always have a veto on new and exciting things.  Sometimes it works out for the worst (trading the Eagles for Italian Job, for example) but often it works for the better.  

• Like 2

I’m trying to hold my opinion on the fountain till after Memorial Day when we see it all finished, I just wish since the pedestals were removed they would have kept the full flow spouts we had on each side and made the center ones the same, similar to canada’s wonderland. Then the new spouts could have been added to what was already there.  

• Like 1

Finally made my first trip to the park this week...so my opinion of the new International Street:

First off, I think the park shouldn’t have did their teaser campaign to insinuate that it would look so close to what It did back in 1972...they should have just hyped that they were revamping it, that way people wouldn’t be disappointed when things they were hoping would return, didn’t.

I can’t say enough about how nice the buildings look! The new paint jobs are vibrant...and I love all of the detailing...truly a labor of love. 

The new pavers are also great looking, I like the various colors. The tables are nice...I hope they hold up well out in the elements.

I miss the big trees. If the old ones had to go because of age I can forgive the park for removing them...but if they were removed in order to improve the look of I.S. I think they failed. I.S. now looks too barren for my taste. I can’t imagine sitting at one of those tables on an 80 plus degree day this summer. Someone also mentioned that they thought that the large trees ruined the forced perspective of the buildings...I think the opposite is true, the buildings look smaller to me now...still great looking, but smaller.

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, when the park teased that the new I.S. would remind people of what it was like back in the day...what it meant to me was: No more flag poles blocking the tower/fountain view! Obviously I was disappointed to find them still there. Why couldn’t they have moved them to either the other end of the fountain, or the top of the International Restaurant wile they were redoing everything?! 

(I will reserve my opinion of the fountain until it is supposedly completed.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

Someone also mentioned that they thought that the large trees ruined the forced perspective of the buildings...I think the opposite is true, the buildings look smaller to me now...still great looking, but smaller.

I am that “someone,” and as someone who has worked at Emporium for the past two years and looks at those buildings all day, I still stand by my opinion! :P

• Like 1

@KIghostguy I was too lazy to go back and look who said it! :P When you posted that, you gave me hope that at least if we were going to lose the trees we would gain that effect....I also stand by my opinion, they still look smaller to me! :P 

I guess it’s because before, it was hard to get a complete look at most of the buildings separating, now you can see down an entire strip of  the buildings all at once. (Left or right, depending on which side of the light poles....I mean fountain :rolleyes:, you are standing on.)

i’m glad The effect worked for you...and you may be right....it just (unfortunately) didn’t work for me!)

• Like 2

The effect works for me, as well. But I think things are moot on the trees as they've planted new ones, which in time will grow and bring things back to the way they were.

However, I do wish they'd move the flags. But I am not sure where. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Joshua said:

But I think things are moot on the trees as they've planted new ones, which in time will grow and bring things back to the way they were.

Hopefully they will let them grow...but they could just keep trimming them yearly to keep them small. 

Listening closely to the PA announcement for the fireworks this weekend, the fountain is now called the “World Fountain” and appears that the title of “Royal Fountain” has been retired.   I would agree “World Fountain” is more appropriate as the majestic appearance with the old pedestals is gone (along with a piece of KI history) and the new jet style fountain is just like many others you can find in many other tourist places, nothing spectacular.  I spotted the last intact pedestal from the Eiffel Tower in the back lot by the trees Saturday.   Will be looking at Haunt for the new tombstone - RIP Royal Fountain 1972-2018

07C03118-B548-45E6-8C80-93A7DFB48977.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

55 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

Listening closely to the PA announcement for the fireworks this weekend, the fountain is now called the “World Fountain” and appears that the title of “Royal Fountain” has been retired.

Does anyone have a recording of this? “World” and “Royal” can sound very similar, especially when it’s said over an outdoor speaker obscured by background noise (people talking, rides, etc.).

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

Listening closely to the PA announcement for the fireworks this weekend, the fountain is now called the “World Fountain” and appears that the title of “Royal Fountain” has been retired.   I would agree “World Fountain” is more appropriate as the majestic appearance with the old pedestals is gone (along with a piece of KI history) and the new jet style fountain is just like many others you can find in many other tourist places, nothing spectacular.  I spotted the last intact pedestal from the Eiffel Tower in the back lot by the trees Saturday.   Will be looking at Haunt for the new tombstone - RIP Royal Fountain 1972-2018

07C03118-B548-45E6-8C80-93A7DFB48977.jpeg

Major Oof. RIP Royal Fountain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

The name "Royal" was originally chosen when the park was conceived to coincide with the name of the park - Kings Island. 

Currently, in park materials, in park staff interviews, and on the official park website - it remains it's original namesake.

image.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

...  “World Fountain” is more appropriate as the majestic appearance with the old pedestals is gone (along with a piece of KI history) and the new jet style fountain is just like many others you can find in many other tourist places, nothing spectacular.

I could not have put it better myself. The new fountains are just that "like many others you can find in many other places."

THAT is the crux of my problem. Those old pedestals were very unique and were unlike any fountains I've seen (outside of KD).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1