International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

They sure are having a lot of troubles with these fountains. I wonder what’s up with that? I still think they look awesome at night, but I can’t help but compare them to that CW video someone shared earlier. Hopefully sometime this season or next year they can use music like that! 

While I don't like the look of the new fountains. How hard would it been to get the same water fountains as Canda's Wonderland? The show is ok for a local park I guess not something people come to see over and over.   Smail park down town has the same fountains that light up and dance at night. Saw it walking home from the Reds game.

• Like 1

As first reported by KICentral, moving lights have been added to the truss work along the Royal Fountain. Presumably this is for the Royal Finale. It is not clear as to whether or not this will be used tonight, but still exciting none the less.

61E657A3-DF1B-4EB8-86A8-843DA3C9B96F.jpeg

6 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

As first reported by KICentral, moving lights have been added to the truss work along the Royal Fountain. Presumably this is for the Royal Finale. It is not clear as to whether or not this will be used tonight, but still exciting none the less.

61E657A3-DF1B-4EB8-86A8-843DA3C9B96F.jpeg

Would be better if the truss work didn’t look like...truss work. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Is the fountain show still not working properly? I was there last night, and the fountains seemed to stop for some time whenever they all shot up pretty high!

Yeah I was also there last night and noticed the same thing, they kind of died down in the middle of show. Anyone know if it was like that the first night?

11 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Yeah I was also there last night and noticed the same thing, they kind of died down in the middle of show. Anyone know if it was like that the first night?

From the earlier videos I have seen from the first night of the Royale Finale, they never died down once they started.

16 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Is the fountain show still not working properly? I was there last night, and the fountains seemed to stop for some time whenever they all shot up pretty high!

I would say it could have been wind related. It was very windy last night at my house, which I live right behind the park.

18 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

There have been issues with the fountains shutting off. Likely a time code thing. I’m not sure. It had nothing to do with wind or anything like that. Fortunately last night’s show seemed to work correctly.

Also...

B5540E7B-D877-4617-B28E-6159BDF9C1B6.jpeg

Many reported that they had issues hearing the Nightly Fireworks Spectacular last year. The park has responded to this by starting to install additional speakers along I Street.

In addition, don’t forget that special moving lights have been added to the truss work by the fountain. It is not clear when they will be active but it certainly will be cause for an enhanced experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

There have been issues with the fountains shutting off. Likely a time code thing. I’m not sure. It had nothing to do with wind or anything like that. Fortunately last night’s show seemed to work correctly.

Also...

1280x7681280x7681280x768B5540E7B-D877-4617-B28E-6159BDF9C1B6.jpeg

Many reported that they had issues hearing the Nightly Fireworks Spectacular last year. The park has responded to this by starting to install additional speakers along I Street.

In addition, don’t forget that special moving lights have been added to the truss work by the fountain. It is not clear when they will be active but it certainly will be cause for an enhanced experience.

That looks sloppy. There’s no way speakers couldn’t be pole mounted or hidden on the buildings? I just don’t understand why this whole set up looks like a one night concert at riverbend when they just had the entire area torn up for redevelopment and all of this infrastructure could’ve been integrated much more subtly. At least if there were some larger, fuller landscaping it could hide this more. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, brent said:

That looks sloppy. There’s no way speakers couldn’t be pole mounted or hidden on the buildings? I just don’t understand why this whole set up looks like a one night concert at riverbend when they just had the entire area torn up for redevelopment and all of this infrastructure could’ve been integrated much more subtly. At least if there were some larger, fuller landscaping it could hide this more. 

I’m not sure if that’s its permanent location or not. 

1 hour ago, brent said:

I agree. The whole fountain renovation just seems messed up. They tried. I definitely did not expect something like this out of Cedar Fair. 

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Also...

1280x7681280x7681280x768B5540E7B-D877-4617-B28E-6159BDF9C1B6.jpeg

I believe that this is a subwoofer (as I just walked past it). Better low end coverage when I’m the ground. While it looks sloppy, I get why it’s placed on the ground. Some of the new light trusses have new JBL CBT speakers mounted to them, and these supplement them.

Ok, here's my perspective: International Street looks awesome! The building paint, the pavers, the trees, everything just looks wonderful. I really miss the pedestals. But when I saw the fountains in person, they look much better than I expected. I do however, think that they look more generic than regal now. The lighting scaffolds... I don't know how they could have hidden those and achieved the same effect. They are ugly, yes, but they do fade into the background when you stare at the fountains and the buildings. I do think to park over promised and undelivered on the fountain. But the new fountain gives much room for flexibility in the future so I am hopeful that the park will continue to evolve the Royal fountains And get them to the point to where they are simply majestic. I was also hoping for less grass and more flowers and landscaping directly around the fountain. That might be hard to do with the geese problem that the park has. I really wish the geese could be relocated. I'm also hoping that they continue with the new pavers at the entrance and around the Eiffel Tower and Tower Gardens. I also wish that they would bring back the ornate light fixtures, to me that speaks volumes of a European Street that highlights the countries of Germany Switzerland France Spain and Italy. I really like the German beer stein and the glockenspiel that has been restored at the Festhaus along with the planter in front of the Festhaus. Had the part not made in an announcement, and just did what they've done, most of us would be overjoyed. However, they set very high expectations and it feels, to me, that they got about 75% of the job done. I'd give them a solid 3.2/3.0 on the job so far. I think they'll continue to tweak it. And the management in place seems committed to KI traditional stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

They could have used something similar to Disney EPCOT banner stand/ light speaker rigs all around world showcase. Hides the equipment yet makes it easy to do it’s function. Also looks better in the day than the truss, wires, speaker on the ground look. Oh and look, decorative light poles! 

04B7DD53-C8A4-4A22-BAC4-88F49127EA18.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phantom Theater said:

I agree. The whole fountain renovation just seems messed up. They tried. I definitely did not expect something like this out of Cedar Fair. 

It's interesting you say that. Personally,  I don't think it's out of character for Cedar Fair at all.

• Like 1

That is really good to know because on Tuesday I passed up a night ride on The Beast just to see the new Royale Finale, and the fountains kept on turning off. I hope to see the fountains working correctly next time I visit as I think they look pretty cool... when they work...

12 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

It's interesting you say that. Personally,  I don't think it's out of character for Cedar Fair at all.

I agree. I’ve always found their work to stop about 3 steps short of “great”. It all looks “nice” and easy to maintain. But never “next level” 

38 minutes ago, brent said:

They could have used something similar to Disney EPCOT banner stand/ light speaker rigs all around world showcase. Hides the equipment yet makes it easy to do it’s function. Also looks better in the day than the truss, wires, speaker on the ground look. Oh and look, decorative light poles! 

04B7DD53-C8A4-4A22-BAC4-88F49127EA18.jpeg

Now you are asking for Disney level theming at a park that you can now get into for $40.00 with parking/entry/all day drinks at a local Kroger.

It seems Cedar Fair can not make you happy. Every response you make in this thread is you stating how they should have done it.  I can't remember seeing a positive post made by you towards the park. Do you even like the park?

• Like 5

I personally don’t mind how the fountains look at all! I think the renovation makes them more interesting to watch as they actually move and dance to the music during the day. And at night, even though I didn’t get the full experience, they are ten times better than they were last year as they light up and jump to the music (I am really looking forward to seeing the full show next time I visit)! Even if the new fountains were absolute garbage, like some people have said, the newly renovated International Street more than makes up for that. The park didn’t have to do this for us at all, but they wanted to do to it in order to improve OUR guest experience! The thought behind it was to make it more enjoyable for us. I am not saying “shut up and be grateful,” because we all have our own opinions, but it is like when you were young and you got a gift that you were not very fond of... you still said “thank you” because that person went the extra mile to give you something they thought you would enjoy. That was most definitely Cedar Fair’s intention behind the new International Street, and I think we should all appreciate what they, as a company, have done to make us have a better experience at the park.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

That is really good to know because on Tuesday I passed up a night ride on The Beast just to see the new Royale Finale, and the fountains kept on turning off. I hope to see the fountains working correctly next time I visit as I think they look pretty cool... when they work...

Soon as I can, I'll upload a vid I took tonight of them. Big file and slow speeds sucks. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, brent said:

I agree. I’ve always found their work to stop about 3 steps short of “great”. It all looks “nice” and easy to maintain. But never “next level” 

Cedar Fair has always had the same business  model (not including the Ouimet era), build big and fast coasters for the cash cow parks and do just enough to the small ones to keep the status quo. They get an 'A'  when it comes to adding coasters to the big parks and maintaining the ones they already have.

In everything else (theming and landscaping, food, entertainment and special events, etc.) they are average or as you said "three steps short of great."

The fountains are a particularly sad case because they were spectacular and reminiscent of a different time and a much different business model. (From what I gather early Kings Island was probably most comparable to modern day Dollywood or Busch Gardens).