International street makeover

Klabergian Empire

4 hours ago, KI Guy said:

In everything else (theming and landscaping, food, entertainment and special events, etc.) they are average or as you said "three steps short of great."

If I worked in Kings Island’s landscaping department and read your statement it would be like a kick in the stomach. They do an AMAZING job at bringing the park to life. :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Now you are asking for Disney level theming at a park that you can now get into for $40.00 with parking/entry/all day drinks at a local Kroger.

It seems Cedar Fair can not make you happy. Every response you make in this thread is you stating how they should have done it.  I can't remember seeing a positive post made by you towards the park. Do you even like the park?

I don’t think a lighting rig with banners on the sides is “Disney level theming” it’s just taking that extra step to not have exposed lighting rigs lining the main entry fountain. That’s the only  picture I found that illustrated what I was talking about. That picture also references more decorative light poles that were actually there on IS years ago. These could have easily been put back if the goal was to make it “like you haven’t seen it in years”. I’m tired of the “do you even like the park” attitude that people get when people share opinions that are 100% positive. You can like something a lot and share your opinions how you think it could even be better. I think the intent was great. I think the buildings look great. I think they worked hard. Do I enjoy my time there? YES. Do I see whet I think they could have done more? Yes. I this a forum for sharing those opinions? I guess not. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, standbyme said:

If I worked in Kings Island’s landscaping department and read your statement it would be like a kick in the stomach. They do an AMAZING job at bringing the park to life. :)

I think they do a great job with the budget that is allocated to them, and the overall creative and operational  strategy of the park. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KI Guy said:

It's interesting you say that. Personally,  I don't think it's out of character for Cedar Fair at all.

I just expected a lot more out of them, and they still aren’t working right. To each their own! :)

Please note that I don’t hate KI! I love it and I want it to be the best park that it can be. I have always absolutely loved the entrance fountains and thought of them to be spectacular, but now I find them lacking. That’s all! Still my favorite park :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

I mean no offense to the hard workers of the landscaping department. I'm sure they execute to the highest level they can with the resources they're given. That goes for all departments I mentioned including food and entertainment. 

My point though was that Kings Island’s business model has changed (probably to an extent rightfully so), into more of a regular amusement park versus the original Coney Island meets Disneyland model. Coasters are now top priority and other facets are secondary. The fountains as originally built were a remnant of a time when aesthetics were a higher priority.  It was nice to have them while still having world class coasters. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brent said:

I’m tired of the “do you even like the park” attitude that people get when people share opinions that are 100% positive.

I this a forum for sharing those opinions? I guess not. 

No one is asking for anyone to be 100% positive. The park needs constructive criticism to grow. Also, no one is asking for you to not share your opinions. Respectfully, if your posts are always critical of the park and rarely positive, the park (who reads the forums) is not going to take your ideas and criticisms seriously. 

• Like 1

I do agree that those lighting trusses are awful. I also wish they had brought back the gas lamps. I do wish they had brought back those landscaped bushes around the Royal Fountain, but at least a few more flowers and bushes are better than just entirely flat grass like before.

I think the park knocked everything else out of the park. The paint jobs are colorful, but not gaudy like the hideous ‘90’s paint schemes previously. They have been careful to really bring out the details and craftsmanship of the buildings. The Royal Fountain is spectacular, especially at night! The new pavers are very nice. The umbrellas color-coded to the buildings are a nice touch.

I get why people are upset. It’s a change. It’s different. But the argument that “I don’t like it because it’s changed” is not even a real argument. 

Gary Wachs loves the whole renovation, which is probably the highest praise the park can get.

• Like 3

Some thing I had not noticed @KIghostguy was that the umbrellas are color coded to the buildings!! 

As far as the fountain itself, I stood and watched it for a while when we went a couple weeks ago, and I liked it. It's a fun change, it's neat to watch, and in my opinion, taking out the pedestals actually opens up your sight line across the fountain from all directions. I like the look of it. As far as making it far more interactive, the park is trying to entertain a new generation of guests. Everything that kids today do is highly stimulating. Grand water displays that are otherwise static were neat at one point, but the kiddos now are more entertained with dancing fountains and what not. I get it. 

• Like 1

I think what happened was the park said it was going back to what it used to be, and everyone knows how it used to be, it got people excited to see it like it hasn’t been seen in decades.  Thats not what happened though.  They brought a lot back, then took some things away that was sentimental as well.  International Street is the most important part of the park, it’s the first thing everyone sees,  so it means a lot.  I’m happy for all they have done,  I’m sure it was hard work.  Can’t wait to see how it looks in person. 

I wonder if a few of the pedestals will be put back in for WinterFest?  At least we would get to see them in some form if that’s I hope still possible. 

• Like 1

What I am getting at here is that I expected something equally as nice as to replace what was once there. I personally don't find the jumping fountains to be very, uh, classy? or pretty? For lack of a better word. The best example I can think of to express my feelings towards them is when a beautiful 1800s era Victorian house is torn down and replaced with a house made of vinyl (big fan of architecture and design!). The newer home might be new and nice, but the older victorian home was gorgeous and had charm, Hopefully that makes sense haha. I will stop commenting on them now, it's not really getting us anywhere, is it? :p

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

What I am getting at here is that I expected something equally as nice as to replace what was once there. I personally don't find the jumping fountains to be very, uh, classy? or pretty? For lack of a better word. The best example I can think of to express my feelings towards them is when a beautiful 1800s era Victorian house is torn down and replaced with a house made of vinyl (big fan of architecture and design!). The newer home might be new and nice, but the older victorian home was gorgeous and had charm, Hopefully that makes sense haha. I will stop commenting on them now, it's not really getting us anywhere, is it? :p

I mean, it's probably not going to get anyone anywhere, they're opinions, and most folks aren't going to change theirs. It's healthy to have opinions!! No issue there. 

Wow.  Tough crowd.

Except in rare instances, 40 years of management have had the over hype-under deliver moniker placed on them.  See: Italian Job Stunt Coaster, Adventure Express, etc... for examples.  I think the entrance is a remarkable upgrade.  Yeah, I like the pedestals too.... but the new look is a nice upgrade.  The whole entrance is an upgrade from the overgrown trees that lined it for years- which, by the way, hid the trusses.

Also, i think the pedestals are "bye-bye"... they may have kept one or parts of one to make a cameo appearance at Haunt though.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Agreed. 

Snoopy's Starlight "Spectacular."

Totally agree, but be careful, you don’t want to point out shortcomings or make criticisms of the park. Remember they read thus forum and according to some people, only respond favorably to positive remarks! 

7 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Agreed. 

Snoopy's Starlight "Spectacular."

Haha, guess I expected too much out of them! I’m not trying to say the entrance is terrible at all. Maybe there should be a thread dedicated to just fountain talk. They did a great job with the I-street buildings and pavers. I’m hoping they redo the entrance building facade at some point. 

To be fair, the first time I heard the new track (Footprints-Tiesto), I hated it. I missed The Greatest Show. But, hearing it more, it's kinda growing on me. 

I feel the change will grow on some of you as well. Sure i miss the Grandness of the pedestals, but, most of that is due to nostalgia. Walking into the park for numerous years, the pedestals were always there. Now they are not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

To be fair, the first time I heard the new track (Footprints-Tiesto), I hated it. I missed The Greatest Show. But, hearing it more, it's kinda growing on me. 

I feel the change will grow on some of you as well. Sure i miss the Grandness of the pedestals, but, most of that is due to nostalgia. Walking into the park for numerous years, the pedestals were always there. Now they are not. 

It's actually really growing on me now. I was definitely very grumpy about the change, but seeing the night time photos really impresses me. They may not be so grand during the day, but they are spectacular at night. There are many ways that they could have done things better/differently, but I don't think their budget allowed for anything more than what we got. 

• Like 1

A darker color would hide that growth starting to form. Might make the water “pop” more as well. 
I've always liked the light color of KI's Royal Fountain. Even though it shows debris, dirt and some algae. Kings Dominion has a darker color on the Royal Fountain and it detracts from the look at street level and Eiffel Tower level, in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I couldn’t be happier that they kept that color of blue. I think Dominion’s black fountain looks gross. I also think that their fountain show is kind of inferior too. I completely sympathize with the pedestals vs new fountain debate but I don’t think Dominion’s stacks up to either one. Just my 2 cents.

Also, that debris that’s in the fountain is sand. Filtration typically won’t pick that up. I had originally feared that there was a broken lateral in their sand filters (assuming they didn’t upgrade to cartage filters with this update) but I couldn’t see it coming out of any of the outlets (thank God).

I think where it is coming from is from the pavers. They’re likely on a gravel/sand base and as they settle. Likely wind, vehicles, backpack blowers, and even rain push it into the fountain. The good news is that the problem is seemingly temporary - hopefully just a problem for this season.

• Like 1

I wonder how long it takes them to drain the fountain and refill it?  I'm sure they do as much maintenance with it filled as possible, but it seems like with the kinks still being worked out in a variety of areas, they are likely doing some late night/early morning maintenance pretty frequently.

8 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

I wonder how long it takes them to drain the fountain and refill it?  I'm sure they do as much maintenance with it filled as possible, but it seems like with the kinks still being worked out in a variety of areas, they are likely doing some late night/early morning maintenance pretty frequently.

I asked the same question a while ago. It takes several hours to drain it and about 3 days to fill it.

After seeing the new fountains in action yesterday, they have full approval. The jets may not be as thick as the previous ones, but there are over 100 jets and they fill the entire fountain area with water in the air.   It is a grand feeling seeing that much water in the air and nice feeling the mist.    The fountains have more action than the previous fountains.    Each jet is capable of its own activity I believe.

The Royal Finale is nice.  Nice song selection of Tiesto with Aviici playing afterward.  

The fountains still have not met their full potential yet as far as the show they can produce.  They Royal finale is nice, but it still doesn't meet full potential.  If they get someone that can expertly sync these fountains to each powerful note of the music, they have the capability of producing a show that can make you feel the music like Illuminations at Epcot.   I am not suggesting as many fireworks, large fire etc as Illuminations, but syncing visuals (the fountain, building lighting etc) to each powerful note of the music and having a longer show with multiple songs leading up to the last song with the fireworks.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, super7 said:

After seeing the new fountains in action yesterday, they have full approval. The jets may not be as thick as the previous ones, but there are over 100 jets and they fill the entire fountain area with water in the air.   It is a grand feeling seeing that much water in the air and nice feeling the mist.    The fountains have more action than the previous fountains.    Each jet is capable of its own activity I believe.

The Royal Finale is nice.  Nice song selection of Tiesto with Aviici playing afterward.  

The fountains still have not met their full potential yet as far as the show they can produce.  They Royal finale is nice, but it still doesn't meet full potential.  If they get someone that can expertly sync these fountains to each powerful note of the music, they have the capability of producing a show that can make you feel the music like Illuminations at Epcot.   I am not suggesting as many fireworks, large fire etc as Illuminations, but syncing visuals (the fountain, building lighting etc) to each powerful note of the music and having a longer show with multiple songs leading up to the last song with the fireworks.

So you’re saying they went to all the trouble of installing these, then had someone who really didn’t know how to fully program them, program them?  Why wouldn’t you get someone who knew what they were doing pull out all the stops to really “wow” everyone for the grand debut? Of course, I’m just being overly negative I’m sure. 

As others on here have said it seems they’re still working out the problems, the show hasn’t even been out for two weeks, there’s a lot more factors involved then there previously was with the old show. At this point you just keep complaining about things you know nothing about. You’re jumping to so many conclusions that Kings Island hired a random person to do this show, for all we know they hired the best person in the business. Who knows what the problem is, it very well could be something out of the parks control. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, brent said:

You know nothing about me. What a trolling comment. The previous poster said “if they get someone that can expertly synch these fountains” seeming to indicate that that hadn’t been done. I never said I didn’t like the trees. I don’t care for the fountain only because I -as well as many others- don’t think it is the major improvement they promised yet. I’ve only offered my opinions on how I think it could have been better, in an opinion forum. I’ve not made personal attacks on anyone like you just did. What the hell? It’s a fountain in a freakin regional amusement park. If I can’t offer my opinions about how I feel it could have been better, then why can you offer yours about how you think it’s wonderful and we should all be thanking the park for doing this like a gift?  I never said I didn’t like the person who programmed it. I was referencing the post before. Obviously you can’t take critique that’s not even directed at you. It’s directed at Kings Island. I’ve made SO MANY stops at guest services to COMPLIMENT THE PARK on many times on many visits. You don’t know that about me, but then you know NOTHING about me to make such rude, attention grabbing comments. How do you know I know nothing about what I’m commenting (not complaining) about. Do you know what me career is? Do you know what my degree is in? Do you know what industry experience I have? No. I’ll make my observations based on my professional experience and you can make yours based on whatever you are basing yours on. I won’t resort to rude personal attacks like you feel you need to. 

You’re right. It’s a fountain at a regional amusement park.

Yet you’ve still whined about it over and over...

...then found new reasons to whine about it...

...then whined that it wasn’t professionally done because of another poster’s offhand comment...

We get it. You don’t like it. You are the victim here.  We should all feel sorry for you. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Just my 2 cents but we viewed the fireworks up around the newly designed fountain and we thought it was a great addition to the park. The sound was good, the fountain lights looked good and the dancing spot lights were synced with the music.  It was a great way to cap off a day at the park.  

Those of you who may be expecting a Disney level show may want to check the prices of a one day ticket to MK verses our season pass :blink:

• Like 2

I've now seen the "new" International Street about 4 different times in person.  Here's my overall take:

- The buildings look terrific.  Seriously - the color scheme, murals etc look better than they have in 30 years.  Whomever picked the colors should get a HUGE pat on the back.

- They should NOT have painted the bronze statue of Don Quixote.  They literally painted it silver - oy vey.  It should have been polished and buffed.  Tsk Tsk.

- The pavers and new trees are, IMO, much improved.  They'll never top the original streetscapes that existed there (the ones removed in 1982.)  But this is a good "nod" to them.

- Matching the umbrellas to the buildings, and lining the fountains symmetrically with tables is a vastly improved look.

- While I understand ease of upkeep, I do think the "grass" along the side of the fountains needs more color/foliage.

- The light towers don't really bother me - my eye looks past them.

- They missed a HUGE opportunity to bring back "balloon girls."  Well, make them "Balloon people" now...  That was a staple of KI for it's first 25 years!

- I do miss the pedestals.  However I'm not camp "hate" when it comes to the new fountains.  Pictures or videos don't do them justice - they look better in person.   However they seem very temperamental.  When I was there this past Sunday, the fountains completely cut off for what seemed like extended periods during the day.  Maybe they are having computer/relay issues?  They did start back up, but frankly, I cant recall the last time I was there during full season operations that the fountains weren't working.  I kind of feel like the GP should never see them shut off... it would be like (in my book) seeing a Disney Cast member wearing a Frontierland costume walking through Tomorrowland... it breaks the awe and illusion.

- I prefer the overall "open-air" feel of KI's International Street to any of the entrances of other CF parks.  While I appreciate others enjoyment of Dominion's heavily-tree covered IS, it is my personal opinion that the overall majesty of the entrance of that park is completely hidden and obscured.

- I appreciate the focus they've created by placing the American Flag front and center of the fountains... but it does obscure the view.  You cannot take a direct, straight shot, all-encompassing picture of the fountains and tower.  You have to take it from the side.  IMO, they could have placed a planter in the center of the large entrance plaza with the flag poles in that.  Right where that current directional sign exists.

- The ever-changing night-time lighting on IS is terrific.  It is truly beautiful and I find myself making time to stand there and take it all in before I leave.

- My biggest gripe - which I've said before - is the color of the fountain pool.  That light blue is awful.  Even looking into it from the street level the pool bottom looks dirty.  They seriously need to paint it a bolder, brighter shade of blue (like in the 1980's) to mask some of the gunk.  Plus, a darker pool would show the white of the moving waters/water jets better.

Now, all that having been said, I will quickly acknowledge the conflict I've read between posters on this thread.  Everyone needs to take a deep breath.  Not that I'm some guru or something, but when I post, here's the little rules I always keep in mind that seem to work for me: 

-Try to post a positive for every negative. 

- Remember that others love KI as much as you, and critical opinions often come from a place of caring.  (Dont take things to personally.)

- Don't post or use a tone you would not say or use to someone's face.  Its simply not nice.  

- Always remember there is a very hard working, talented group of people who's everyday job is to make KI the best it can be.  They listen to feedback, appreciate the support, are aware of the things that need improving. 

- Its easy to be an armchair critic when you have nothing - nothing at all - to do with the internal decision making and creation process at KI.  Trust the folks in charge.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1