Jump to content
Klabergian Empire

International street makeover

Recommended Posts

I have so much I want to say on this topic, but I'm going to wait until the first time I walk through those gates this year and see the finished product for myself before I make a judgement. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I was an arborist before my current career as an RN.  The linden trees on IS were probably at the end of their expected life.  The probably had root systems that had grown into the grassy area around the Royal Fountain as it was easier to get water and nutrients from an irrigated/fertilized area vs the pavers.  They had pruned them during the offseason last year, and the decision was probably sealed then.   When I was at KD in 2016, I was amazed at the mostly dead ash trees around the Eifel Tower, they looked like a huge liability.  I hated to see the trees at KI go, but I think IS will look great.  I was more upset about the removal of the last of the gingko trees in the area formerly known as Coney Mall--they had all been moved from Coney Island and they all ended up in the former smoking area as the others died and off and were replaced with maple trees.  

... what that guy said...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, Outdoor Man said:

I'm no arborist, but it could be that the trees lining iStreet had reached height maturity and once that happens their main growth would come from "regeneration"- meaning shedding branches and limbs to facilitate new growth.

Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a park with thousands of daily guests can't have trees lining a busy thoroughfare that are regularly shedding 100lb limbs.  In that respect, the only option is to clear the slate and start over.  

The trees that were removed had some major limbs already removed, so that's a good point.    I think overall there are more trees, but its not going to end up being a shaded paradise.

The tree opinion subject is really a matter of tree lovers or not.  It's pretty obvious I am a tree lover :) 

 

22 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I was an arborist before my current career as an RN.  The linden trees on IS were probably at the end of their expected life.  The probably had root systems that had grown into the grassy area around the Royal Fountain as it was easier to get water and nutrients from an irrigated/fertilized area vs the pavers.  They had pruned them during the offseason last year, and the decision was probably sealed then.   When I was at KD in 2016, I was amazed at the mostly dead ash trees around the Eifel Tower, they looked like a huge liability.  I hated to see the trees at KI go, but I think IS will look great.  I was more upset about the removal of the last of the gingko trees in the area formerly known as Coney Mall--they had all been moved from Coney Island and they all ended up in the former smoking area as the others died and off and were replaced with maple trees.  

I wasn't sure what kind of trees those were around the Eiffel Tower at KD, but I was assuming they were ash and the beetles go to them.  Those trees definitely needed to go.   I was surprised they didn't take them out sooner because they looked horrible.
But it was also disappointing they didn't plant replacements as it was quite a special feeling with the Eiffel Tower rising out of the woods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

Wait, I am really confused. Did Coney Mall get a name change that I don't know about.

It's still called Coney Mall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm one of the few that will miss the trees. In my opinion, the big trees gave the fountains some charm. But like someone said earlier, in a few years they'll be an average tree height again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they keep some tables along I-Street.  Its one of my favorite places to eat in the park, though, having less shade might be problematic to that end.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

I hope they keep some tables along I-Street.  Its one of my favorite places to eat in the park, though, having less shade might be problematic to that end.

I would be shocked if tables didn't return; especially, with those inserts close to the fountain. I hope there are new, quality tables with themed umbrellas.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they'll keep the tables. Otherwise, people would have to walk a distance to eat LaRosa's. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope they get new tables if they do have tables there. The old ones weren't in very pristine condition, to say the least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the bricks nearest the fountain being a different color, I wonder if this is a parade route/fountain show viewing section, and the outside near the shops is open to relieve congestion. (Excuse me... it’s just the DisneyWorld visitor in me coming out.) in fact the two sections that jut out towards the fountain could be stage areas as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my training on Saturday and got to take in what they’ve done so far. While I won’t upload any pictures or delve into specifics, I will say it is definitely going to be an incredible final result. I think it will really put the “grand” into “grand entrance.” And yes, it’s a good thing that those trees were cut down; the forced perspective illusion has been restored!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this whole makeover is going to bring such a great fresh feeling to those of us who try to go once or twice a year from out of state. Kings Island never gets old but it will be so refreshing to see these new beautiful changes added. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lostinthevortex said:

I think this whole makeover is going to bring such a great fresh feeling to those of us who try to go once or twice a year from out of state. Kings Island never gets old but it will be so refreshing to see these new beautiful changes added. 

I think you are right on the mark here.

Also, welcome to KIC!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the new fountain design and since CF cycles their shows throughout the chain, I can see KI borrowing this show from Canada Wonderland sometime soon

 

4BB438D8-FBBE-4861-92D7-3D016F07505E.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

With the new fountain design and since CF cycles their shows throughout the chain, I can see KI borrowing this show from Canada Wonderland sometime soon

 

4BB438D8-FBBE-4861-92D7-3D016F07505E.png

I would love this, but it won't be a part of the park entertainment this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only ONE WEEK until we finally walk through the front gate and be awed by the majesty of International Street and the Royal Fountains. That is if you are going on Preview Night. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 5:55 AM, KIghostguy said:

I think it will really put the “grand” into “grand entrance. The forced perspective illusion has been restored!

Are you allowed to comment or say if the pedestals have been put back in or taken away? Yes I'm still holding hope.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Are you allowed to comment or say if the pedestals have been put back in or taken away? Yes I'm still holding hope.

They are gone for good, my friend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now that I know that, the anticipation of what they look like is killing me. Uuugghh!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you allowed to comment or say if the pedestals have been put back in or taken away? Yes I'm still holding hope.

Yes, the old pedestals are no longer. It is a completely new fountain setup. It looks beautiful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

I think "Crowded Night" might be a better name.  

Yeah, I wish that preview night was still only for fall renewals...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:


Yes, the old pedestals are no longer. It is a completely new fountain setup. It looks beautiful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course now I’m wondering if the fountain is still painted white on the bottom and sides or darker like at Kings Dominion and Canada’s Wonderland.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Of course now I’m wondering if the fountain is still painted white on the bottom and sides or darker like at Kings Dominion and Canada’s Wonderland.  


I would guess white or blue. That’s a traditional color that gives a clean look with the endless/bottomless feel.

I would think black would make the water warmer and promote bacteria and algae growth... who wants that?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...