Face Your Fears (Flight of Fear 1996 commercial)

BoddaH1994

Some thoughts:

”Outer Limits Flight of Fear” was ONLY at Paramount’s Kings Island for a few days before an exact clone opened at Paramount’s Kings Dominion.

If this deal with McDonald’s was only until July 4th then you would have had to acted quickly to ride it because FOF was pushed back until June 18th.

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

I remember waiting in line for a long time to ride. It was worth the ride, although too much headbanging. I love metal music, and if I'm complaining about the headbanging, then it's way too much haha.

How far back was the line when you rode?

My earliest memory of it had the line with a full hangar, full press area, about 10 lines of temporary queues outside, and a line that extended to the Zephyr. It was about 3 hours. Oh yeah, it opened with one train.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

My earliest memory of it had the line with a full hangar, full press area, about 10 lines of temporary queues outside, and a line that extended to the Zephyr. It was about 3 hours. Oh yeah, it opened with one train.

This is about the same as what I am remembering.  3 and a half hour wait and a line that came out past the zephyr.  I think at this point there was a break in the line, for foot traffic to get through,  and a temporary rope que that formed near the center and down the Coney Mid-way back towards Monster but not ending that far down.  

I remember hating it after the launch.  I was 11 and those headrests and banging around made sure it was a long time before I rode it again.

Anybody else remember it similarly? 

Yes, I only rode it once a visit if the line was only so far, mainly due to the original OTSR's.  The launch made it worth the wait though.  I do miss when the video in the queue was more immersive with the hangar and the room would react to the video more.   I was too short in 1996 to ride it, but got above 54" by the next season.

And thank heavens Premier switched it to lap bars.     

One of my friends on the baseball team I was in each summer had a dad (who's since passed away) that helped build it back in the winter of '95-'96.

I have the news article somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. 

• Like 4

I remember the first time I saw FOF and the first time I rode it. My step dad rode it with the OSTRs back in the day and I remember waiting in line and being too short (and too scared) to ride. I got really freaked out when that empty train rolled into the station! The first time I rode was with the lap bars. I remember being nervous to ride as I'd never been on an indoor coaster before and because it was a limited operation day, I didn't have much choice lol. I must have enjoyed it as I still ride it to this day.

I rode it several times during Winterfest and loved the whole "Flight of Cheer" overlay. My only complaint is that it seems rough at times, and I wonder when it has been painted last.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Yeah, same as you. The entire hangar was full along with the queues outside. Probably a 3 hour wait.  We all felt like it was a great ride, but got even better once the OTSR's were removed.

4 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

The lap bars debuted in 2001 on Flight of Fear.  A much needed improvement.  Too bad the seat belts still attach to the side of the car.  That slows down dispatch times considerably.

I've had more issues with those stupid seat belts this year than I ever have. When sometimes the seat belts are long enough for me to be able to get them locked and sometimes the ride ops are putting all their force/pressure on the lap bar trying to get the seat belt to lock. They could get rid of the seat belts or change their method for them and I'd be happy.