KI Blog: The Beast gets its name 40 years ago today

BoddaH1994

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/february/40-years-ago-today-the-beast-was-named

“To see what avid roller coaster riders thought of the name, Kings Island conducted interviews with members of five special groups. They included males and females in their early teens, late teens and early twenties. All had visited Kings Island during the previous two seasons in 1977 and 1978 and had ridden The Racer.”

It would be interesting to hear what the naming process is like today. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It would be interesting to hear what the naming process is like today. 

I remembered that Tony Clark talked about how they decide the name during a Valravn interview back on it's media day. I'm assuming Kings Island's process is the same or very similar to Cedar Point's.

Go to 9:00 when they begin talking about it.

Pretty cool how many names they go through. Would be cool to know what the other two names that they were thinking about were.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Wasn't the name Champion being floated around, too?

The ride was referred to as "America's champion roller coaster" in press releases, but I don't believe Champion was ever seriously considered as the name. I do know that "The Runaway" was very close to becoming the official name.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

The ride was referred to as "America's champion roller coaster" in press releases, but I don't believe Champion was ever seriously considered as the name. I do know that "The Runaway" was very close to becoming the official name.

There were lots of names tossed around, but nothing stuck until The Beast was suggested.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Can the trains get a repaint to resemble their original look 40 years ago?

17883980_10155903943408368_4140543118880998179_n.jpg

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/cincinnati/ohios-largest-playground-cincinnati/

You know that paint scheme looks very similar to SoB's original trains. I wonder if they looked at this when they were creating the theming for SoB during its inception.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

I’m loving the change.

However, I’m mystified why they used “Beast” and “Unleashed” in the same sentence in the tweet, considering how outrageous the enthusiasts’ rumor mill becomes.

I don't think there was any meaning behind that. If there was, it was to stir up the pot some more I bet.

The color scheme will probably for at least a couple years. Assuming the paint lasts a while.

With regards to the former lake, this is what Shaggy has to say back in 2010

No one thing can be cited as the reason the "lake" (odd to call it that as it was literally only a few inches deep) was removed. There were actually a handful of reasons.

Trash issues, circulatory issues, bug issues, smell issues are a few reasons. But more importantly, the park wanted to seal off the midway path between Beast and (then) KCKC to use for behind the scenes purposes. They also wanted to re-direct the exiting guests past the (then) new on-ride photo booth and midway games. In addition, they also wanted to re-direct guests out an entirely different area away from the entrance to deter line jumping.

@Shaggy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Instead of the claw decal on the front, I want them to bring back the lamp that was originally attached to the trains. That would be ideal for me.

Regardless, I’m loving the paint scheme (I always tried to replicate it in RCT).

Do you have a picture of the lamp that was attached to the trains? I cannot find anything.