Volcano: The Blast Coaster to be removed!

My first visit to Kings Dominion was in July 2017 and Volcano was down, so I was kinda bummed about that. I ended up going back last year for opening weekend and was fortunate to ride it several times. It was probably my favorite coaster at the park and I’m incredibly sad to see it go. Although I do understand why the park chose to close it and I’m sure it was not an easy decision to make. It was SBNO most of last year so it’s not like I’m completely shocked or anything. Hopefully something good will replace it within the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I rode this when I visited back in 2014. It was one of my favorites there (along with I305) and the vertical launch was probably the highlight of the ride for me.

Sad to see it go, but hope that Kings Dominion has something special planned for this area in the future.

• Like 1

I cannot say I am surprised, the ride has had significant downtime and been a maintenance nightmare.  Whatever failed last year is obviously significant enough that it’s not worth fixing.  

This is one of the highest profile rides at the park and makes me wonder what other rides are no longer safe.  Cedar Fair still has several other very expensive to operate coasters, how many other coasters are a significant failure away from being removed?  How many other rides are being examined for removal due to maintenance costs?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I cannot say I am surprised, the ride has had significant downtime and been a maintenance nightmare.  Whatever failed last year is obviously significant enough that it’s not worth fixing.  

This is one of the highest profile rides at the park and makes me wonder what other rides are no longer safe.  Cedar Fair still has several other very expensive to operate coasters, how many other coasters are a significant failure away from being removed?  How many other rides are being examined for removal due to maintenance costs?

I’d say nighthawk at carowinds might go considering they’re getting copperhead strike the ride won’t be that important to their lineup. I hope this years bad earnings / attendance is a one off occurrence or else I could see a lot more being removed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 11:14 AM, MaxxForce said:

Well, I guess I'm going to have to travel to Scandinavia to ride an Intamin invert.

Or to Cedar Point, Dorney Park, Valleyfair, SF Great America, Discovery Kingdom.

But if what you meant was full-circuit Intamin invert, then yes, that would require a trip overseas.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:39 PM, BeastForever said:

Or to Cedar Point, Dorney Park, Valleyfair, SF Great America, Discovery Kingdom.

But if what you meant was full-circuit Intamin invert, then yes, that would require a trip overseas.

Side note: I’m so glad that the Wicked Twister removal rumors at CP haven’t come to fruition. 

• Like 4