Curious About YOUR Theme Park Background

I'm doing a project on curiosity for my creativity class at my university. Even though I have hardly ever posted on KICentral, I still pay a lot of attention to it and would consider most, if not all of you, to have a pretty thorough understanding of theme parks and all have dug deep and done your research through other forums, Youtube, Screamscape, etc, etc. If you guys would be so kind as to let me know in the thread if:

1. You have had any experience working in the theme park industry (seasonal employment (rides, food, shows), internships (HR, front office stuff), or even full-time employment in the corporate side. If any of these things apply, please give your thoughts as to your time working and how your experience helped grow your interest in theme parks/coasters.

2. Where/How/Why you got into theme parks. What kinds of resources did you use to explore further?

Thank you so much for your help to allow me to explore deeper into this industry!

Well this project didn't go nearly as well as I wanted it to, so I figured I would reflect here. Instead of doing a basic one-on-one interview, I really wanted to go use a forum in order to generate discussion because I knew this is the primary form of communication for most people considered to be "experts" in the industry. As you can see, I didn't get the response I was expecting. My lesson from this mini-project? Do not rely on others to give feedback through messaging boards, but instead ALWAYS contact people directly to learn from them. 

Sorry for not getting commenting on this topic sooner.

I thought I would offer some insights into my history in amusement parks.  I am starting my 18th season as a seasonal employee at Coney Island.  The last nine seasons I have been one of the rides managers at Coney Island.  I do all the scheduling for the entire department for the entire season.  There are days that I miss being a front line employee running rides all day long, but being a manager presents its own challenges.  I love working at Coney, and it has enhanced my appreciation for amusement parks.  Little did I know I would end up working at Coney so long.  I really do not look at it as a job.  I look forward to going into work every day.  Currently, I can`t wait for the season to start, and for us to hire our new crew of ride operators to put smiles on kids and families faces and to help create memories worth repeating (I am stealing that slogan from another park).

I have also worked at Kings Island during Haunt in rides at Skyflyer many years ago.  That was a fun experience and provided a unique contrast to Coney Island.

My professional job, for when I am not working at Coney on the weekends, is as an architect.  I have been privileged to work on some pretty cool projects, including some amusement park projects.  http://tra-design.net/portfolio-type/entertainment/  Pretty neat job, if I do say so myself.

I hope that helps give you some insight, even if it is a bit late.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Underdogwastaken said:

Well this project didn't go nearly as well as I wanted it to, so I figured I would reflect here. Instead of doing a basic one-on-one interview, I really wanted to go use a forum in order to generate discussion because I knew this is the primary form of communication for most people considered to be "experts" in the industry. As you can see, I didn't get the response I was expecting. My lesson from this mini-project? Do not rely on others to give feedback through messaging boards, but instead ALWAYS contact people directly to learn from them. 

I saw your post earlier today.  I am not an industry insider, but a fan of parks.  I grew up going to KI once yearly for most of my childhood, stopped going consistently after high school, moved to Idaho and Arizona during the Paramount years.  After moving back to Kentucky in 2007, I visited the park a few times, but had little knowlege of the industry.  So much so, I stopped going because I went to Haunt on a good weather Saturday and didn't have the correct expectations.  In 2014, I went in May with a friend, it was cool and rainy and we felt like the park was ours.  Several rides we literally the only people there.  The employees were nice and cheerful and acted just as if the park was packed.  I rode The Beast 14 times that day and that's what got me hooked.    Since then, I have made some good friends, gained much knowledge and lingo, and spent way too much money.  The resouces I started out with were YouTube and Google.  That's how I found KIC.  

I'd like to offer some constructive criticism.  If you need information for a project, give a little more lead time and make sure to mention that you have a deadline and what it is.  I had planned on responding tomorrow, but I take it that is too late, as this post may be.  I hope your project goes well and you have enough data to complete it well!

• Like 1