Future Cedar Fair Coaster Removals?

We've seen some significant coaster removals in the Cedar Fair including Stinger at Dorney Park, Firehawk at KI and Volcano at KD to name a few. With this knowledge one can only speculate that more coasters will be removed in the future. What do you guys think are the next coasters to be removed?

Personally I think Vekoma is going to be purged from the chain with exceptions to smaller rides like Flying Ace Ariel Chase and others. I don't think Arrow coasters will be in Jeopardy unless RMC's T-Rex proves to be a superior track style.

*I have no information on which Cedar Fair coasters will be removed or when, pure speculation*

• Like 1

That is a gross generalization (referring to "no one rides them").  While we may eventually see some of the Arrow coasters disappear, I doubt we see all of them disappear.  Many of the parks have a lot of Arrow coasters (Kings Island has three of them, and Cedar Point has five of them (Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Magnum XL-200, Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Gemini)).

• Like 5

I believe Carowinds still has one...

And I wouldn`t look for Nighthawk to go anywhere just yet.  Rumor has it that Carowinds is removing their white water rafting ride.  Nighthawk takes up a lot of space in the middle of the park.  Before it was built, the area had remained relatively vacant after the Smurf`s left Smurf Island (back when Carowinds had an island with a river boat that went around it, similar to the riverboats at the Disney parks.

Thing about Arrows: Arrow ride attendance is really often not bad as they may seem. Pretty sure we've already established a bunch of time that Arrows often get shorter lines because of capacity and operations. Just take our own good ol' Arrows here as an example. Consistently on the higher side of ridership yet short lines.

Even better example: Anaconda. Anaconda gets practically no lines and is pretty unpopular among enthusiasts. However it's consistently the fifth most ridden at the park, with 554k riders in 2017 and 541k in 2016. 

I just see Cedar Fair focusing on removing "trouble making" rides. Rides that break down a bunch, expensive to maintain, and don't have many parts around. I'm going to predict we're going to see some more Intamins and maybe Vekomas leave as well. 

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

What old Intamins are even in any CF parks anymore now that Volcano is gone. They are 2000 or newer now? There is no way CP removes TTD?? Vekoma yes they can do away with all those. in mu opinion I thin kits a reach to see other Intimins  removed.

It's not older than 2000 but I can see Wicked Twister going at some point in the near future. I've always heard about maintenance problems with it and it going down.

• Sad 1

Call me bias I love it. Back seat is amazing but rumor is per other enthusiasts... IF they do remove it its being sent to another park not scrapped. I would have to say most speculation on coaster being removed from at least CP right now is Mine Ride or Gemini. then Wicked Twist 3rd on that list. I would have to say I wouldn't mind the removal of Cedar Creek Mine Ride. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Yeah I think coaster wise for sure. There would need to be maintenance issues to go along with low ridership. Also how easy is it to get parts?

I’ve also been curious about this myself. Does anyone know how much it cost to maintain Arrow coasters? The rides are so some common and the trains are so similar I’ve always assumed it’s not that expensive. 

On that topic with the CF Vekomas (aside from Nighthawk, its only going to last so long with Firehawk's donated parts, which aren't that many considering Nighthawk is the prototype), Vekoma is really good at getting parts out for their rides, especially with how many of each model they've sold.  Coasters like the handful of Boomerangs (WoF, CW and Carowinds) and the pair of SLC's (MIA and CW) in the chain should be good to go for a while.  KI's Invertigo has probably been the best run of its type of the entire line and its shares certain parts with SLC's.  WoF's and CW's Boomerangs can also be upgraded to the new Vekoma trains which are HUGE improvements, speaking from experience having ridden HP's Sidewinder with the new train.  I think there are trains that help out SLC's as well. 

Arrow parts get made by S&S (who absorbed Arrow) and with how many Arrows that are still running worldwide, they won't stop making those anytime soon. 

• Like 2

I don't really see it hard to get parts for most of the coasters in the CF chain. There may be some one offs. I think its harder for them to get parts for some of the flats. That's why we see some of those being removed right now at CF parks. Yeah @Rivertown Rider I think with WT the only way that coaster leaves is if they need that part of land for something else. That has to coincide with maintenance as well. Rumors are that its going to be moved to another CF park and that may be the only reason it leaves?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think he's referring to the CGA poster, which isn't exactly a source but is a solid base for speculation 

a779b6882aa0d1e9d81913ce0ea65c5d.jpg

http://coasterhub.com/archives/19188

Yeah....don't think that can be considered a source for Wicked Twister to be relocated because if so, it looks as if Diamondback would also be relocated according to that "source."

• Haha 1

Since CF is not currently working with Intamin on new rides, I think that is where the speculation comes from. Wicked Twister could be relocated, which would open up boardwalk space nd it would be new to CGA. But then again, it could be a new coaster if CF contracts with Intamin for it, or one of the other companies designs one.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

Would the cost to ship justify it? I mean Wicked Twister was only $9 mil when it was built. 

Also, if this were to be proven true that CGA would get an Impulse Coaster, who's to say that Possessed from Dorney or Steel Venom from Valleyfair wouldn't move? 

I don’t know if the cost to ship it is justified but I do believe people speculate it would be wicked twister is due to all the rumors suggesting Cedar Point is planning on doing something major around the board walk area.

I don't find that rumor about removing Wicked Twister to open up the board walk area to hold any weight....I mean they added a new coaster there in this decade as a part of opening up the views of the lake...the boardwalk has been extended to go around these attractions. They could effectively build out the beach without removing additional attractions from that area.

• Like 1