Does Kings Island need a giga?

Number5IsAlive

1 minute ago, Maverick44 said:

Sorry I was thinking real destination parks like Disney and Universal. I think if KI gets a giga it will be a destination park for enthusiasts like ourselves but maybe not family's with little ones. Idk maybe I am wrong. I just think of a destination having different options to stay in the park at their own hotels and so on.

Every destination has a budget! LOL. 

• Haha 1

I understand. Haha I just think maybe in the coming years if they want to add a hotel into the park like Cedar Point has. They could make bank on that as well. That way the park can offer thing's like ERT for hotel guests who do not have season passes. I agree and disagree that KI is a destination park currently haha

• Like 1

Just now, Maverick44 said:

I understand. Haha I just think maybe in the coming years if they want to add a hotel into the park like Cedar Point has. They could make bank on that as well. That way the park can offer thing's like ERT for hotel guests who do not have season passes. I agree and disagree that KI is a destination park currently haha

I hear ya! I don't even care if it's a "destination park" or not. We live 3-hours away but prefer it over CP, for whatever reasons. We'll keep getting season passes whether they build a Giga or not. But I hope they do...eventually. :-)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, matthew0813 said:

Ki needs a giga desperately in my opinion. I know that the park already does extremely well, but a giga would easily make Ki a destination park. We have an excellent lineup, but we are lacking a coaster that people would travel far for. A giga perfectly fits that category and it also gives the park the perfect opportunity to remodel the whole area surrounding the giga. (x-base)

If people aren't coming for their current lineup, adding a Giga isn't going to move the needle as much as you think it is...

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Does anyone know the details of KI's relationship with Great Wolf Lodge? I mean, in theory it is exactly what you're talking about. I know they DO have a relationship, for sure. I'm guessing it is beneficial for both. I have never stayed at the Lodge---I can't afford it! Or I guess I'm just making different choices would be a better way to put it. The prices are right up there with Disney though.

I think GWL is a preferred KI hotel.  What that means, I don't know.  I do know that I have stayed at a couple of Mom and Pop hotels there, and the innkeepers told me that KI had stopped promoting them when they wanted a lot of money--but they still promoted KI.  I've been to GWL with my niece, color me not impressed.  But I can see the family appeal.

I am just thinking about how CP had the hotels on site. Same with Disney and so on. I think if KI did that it could be good!? Idk I’m just spitballing haha. I think if they have their own hotels hey can offer packages with rooms and tickets for the guests who are not going to hold season passes. Idk seems like a good idea to me haha. But in a Hotel Breakers in KI. Have it in the area between water park and wwc and MT somewhere!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I am just thinking about how CP had the hotels on site. Same with Disney and so on. I think if KI did that it could be good!? Idk I’m just spitballing haha. I think if they have their own hotels hey can offer packages with rooms and tickets for the guests who are not going to hold season passes. Idk seems like a good idea to me haha. But in a Hotel Breakers in KI. Have it in the area between water park and wwc and MT somewhere!?

Hotels have been big revenue drivers for CedarFair recently so I’d say the possibility for a Hotel has increased. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

It's definitely not out of the realm of possibilities. That actually is part of the reason I brought up the other hotels being built around the area...it shows that there is a want/need for overnight accommodations for folks coming to Kings Island, because let's face it...if there wasn't KI would these hotels still be built? I doubt it. 

The park once had a campground and Kings Island Resort...so with the loss of these two properties, they definitely lost out on income. I imagine the park eventually will have a hotel...however, I really hope it's not a chain hotel like the one being built for Carowinds. I would hope that a hotel would be along the lines of Knott's Hotel or Breakers....while keeping the price point affordable. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I'm no expert, but I would think the best we could wish for would be a franchise type of hotel, like Carowinds.  It would make sense if KI had a type of ancillary business like the CP Sports Force park to drive more consistent occupancy rates.

I would want a unique hotel for the park...thinking on the lines of a Hotel Breakers type hotel....with restaurants, gift shops, etc. 

But I also would think if they were to go the "traditional" route....a Knott's type hotel would be great....I just don't think a SpringHill Kings Island has a good ring to it, nor does it feel unique. 

For reference look at the types of rooms the Knott's Hotel offers: https://www.knotts.com/stay/room-options

• Like 1

The park is starting to get stale for the GP and attendance is on its way down. Many were disappointed by Mystic Timbers and are hoping for more. The way to fix this issue is by giving KI a record-breaking coaster that will bring people far and wide to the park. A giga is one answer but another could be a ground-up RMC on the scale of Steel Vengence. Although this is unlikely an RMC would be built for 2020, it would still be suitable for the park.

19 minutes ago, Coaster Critics said:

The park is starting to get stale for the GP and attendance is on its way down. Many were disappointed by Mystic Timbers and are hoping for more. The way to fix this issue is by giving KI a record-breaking coaster that will bring people far and wide to the park. A giga is one answer but another could be a ground-up RMC on the scale of Steel Vengence. Although this is unlikely an RMC would be built for 2020, it would still be suitable for the park.

Who exactly was disappointed about Mystic Timbers? The only people I think would be disappointed are the people who thought the shed would be some sort of out of this world element. The ride is consistently popular and many consider it to be the best ride in the park. Furthermore the park got MT 2 years ago, if they’re expecting a new rollercoaster every 2 years then they’re out of luck. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Coaster Critics said:

Problem solved then!!! They can lay off a whole lot of people in planning and just throw money at the problem and everything will be peachy!!!

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I'd like to see the statistics that you have for this.

Although I do not have any specific numbers, I know from working at the park this season versus last season that there were far less busy days. This is also very usual as a new coaster is a major attendance booster and usually the next season drops lower than the previous one.

9 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Who exactly was disappointed about Mystic Timbers? The only people I think would be disappointed are the people who thought the shed would be some sort of out of this world element. The ride is consistently popular and many consider it to be the best ride in the park. Furthermore the park got MT 2 years ago, if they’re expecting a new rollercoaster every 2 years then they’re out of luck. 

As for who is disappointedly mystic the answer was stated in my original post. Having many GP friends and the comments I hear around the park many of the usual guests of KI will consider it a kiddy coaster. This is not a shared belief of mine as I find MT quite enjoyable. The sad truth is that the GP want more and more. They do want a new coaster every 2 years. Furthermore being disappointed does not mean that you will not ride it. When people were speculating TTD people had some quite outlandish Ideas and hopes for the ride. Some were let down but they still ride it none the less. Mystic has high capacity and therefore attracts more and more guests to the line.

MT is an amazing beginner coaster honestly. My 8 year old niece loved it for her first time being at KI or on major coasters.  Families are what brings in the major money. Yes the park will still add major coasters. They still need to worry about families rides. A giga will bring in people to get that credit but families are not rushing to the park for a giga,. Well......unless you are my family hahaha

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Honorarius said:

Problem solved then!!! They can lay off a whole lot of people in planning and just throw money at the problem and everything will be peachy!!!

I don't know what laying off workers has to do with anything... "throwing money at the problem" I think you are referring to park expansion which is something the park has done year after year since 1972.

I love Mystic Timbers and I believe it was a great addition to the park I just believe that now 2 years after it opened it has lost its hype and the GP want more.

I apologize if I have offended anyone. I only made that post to answer the question is a giga needed and I answered along the lines that something is needed and a giga is one answer. Thank you for all the replies though!