King Louie's Winter Walk-through 2019 Photo Report!

King Louie's Winter Walk-through 2019 Report!

1.JPG

Hi guys! On February 16th, 2019 I was able to attend Kentucky Kingdom's off season event, King Louie's Winter Walk-through. For those who don't know the park started this tour in 2017 under the event name "Keys to the Kingdom" and i was fortunate to attend the first event. I was not able to attend the event last year as it was held the same day as Winter Chill Out at Cedar Point. However this year I made sure to attend no matter what.

Since the park reopened under Ed Harts management in 2014, the park has installed 2 brand new roller coasters, refurbished two existing coasters at the park and is adding their 6th coaster in 2019, The Kentucky Flyer. Kentucky Flyer is being constructed by Gravity Group and will be located on the waterpark side of the park, with the entrance being located near the parks craft beer garden and Skycatcher. It is also amazing to say that the park is celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2019

Here are some interesting notes about the presentation we received at the start of the event and during our walk-through:

• As noted the park is celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2019
  • Along with the 30th anniversary, merchandise of former rides will be available. The items shown during our presentation included t-shirts of Chang and Vampire
  • Rock N' Roller is being relocated to King Louie's Playground this season and will take the place of the parks former Somba Baloon Ride
  • Kingdom Fries will be returning this season
  • Thunder Run's 180 degree turn near Storm Chaser and Eye of the Storm is receiving a complete re-track.
  • Everything mechanical on the parks Raging River Rapids Ride came from Opryland.
  • Frightfully Funny Fire Engine will not be returning this season.

Enough babbling on here is pictures from the event as well as coverage over on Youtube

2.JPG

Happy Family and Journey To Atlantis will return this year.

3.JPG

The former ride location for Rock N' Roller

4.jpg

The new location for Rock N' Roller, replacing the parks Somba Balloon Ride

5.JPG6.JPG

Frightfully Funny Fire Engine will not be returning this season.

7.jpg8.JPG9.JPG

Thunder Run's 180 degree turn near Storm Chaser and Eye of the Storm is receiving a complete re-track.

10.JPG

The Waterpark skyline is changing this year and you dont see me complaining!

11.JPG12.JPG

The station area is in the process of being constructed

13.JPG14.JPG

A look at the start of the rides Quad down. The first of 4 airtime moments starts on the right as you travel downwards.

15.JPG

A look at the lift area of the ride as well as the final airtime hill into the brake run. The shaping on the last hill reminded a lot of us of Magnum's final bunnyhills.

16.jpg17.JPG

The transfer switch is in place as well as one of the lift chain gears.

18.JPG

This pathway will be the rides entrance/exit

19.JPG

The ride's transfer barn. One train will be stored here at night while the other train is in the station.

20.JPG

Steel rails for the track are awaiting their placement.

21.JPG22.JPG

I would like to send a special thank you to everyone at Kentucky Kingdom for allowing myself and others to attend the tour that was put together and for everything they did during the tour. If you haven't been to Kentucky Kingdom before or thought of going back, please consider it. Kentucky Flyer is looking amazing and it is looking to be a great year for the park!

• Like 5

It truly was an amazing time. I think what I like best was that you can absolutely tell that the crew that runs this - Jessi, Adam, Mark, and newcomer Carley - are very passionate about showing off the park and this event felt like a passion project and not an obligation. 

This will be a slam dunk year for Kentucky Kingdom.

• Like 1