Could SOB Have Been Saved?

gforce1994

Since most of, if not, all of it's structure would have needed to be replaced, would that really be 'saving' it?  Would it be considered 'saved' if a ground-up woodie or RMC that started from the SOB station were built instead of Banshee?  I'm confident in guessing that the park still wouldn't have named it Son of Beast to alleviate confusion among the GP.   Heck, some GP think Mystic Timbers is SOB re-located and/or re-named from the Paramount era.

My fondest memories of KI are associated with SOB. Was it bad? Probably, but nostalgia makes me love it. So many times in the 2008 season my friends and I would ride it over and over again. I always thought it was a beautiful ride. My last time on it was opening day for Diamondback. I'd do anything to ride it again.

Adding to the topic, it probably could have been saved, but leaving it SBNO for 3 years probably was not kind to the structure. Also, the negative connotation to the ride would not have left either. It was most likely finically smarter to do what they did.

27 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

For me, any and all good memories I had on SOB were shattered when it hurt all those people and it was made clear that those who ran the park during  the Paramount era were neglectful about the ride.

Except they weren’t. 

The ride wasn’t fun, but the State investigation found that the accident was due to a design flaw. 

• Like 1

^I've read the forensics report from the 2006 accident before it disappeared from the internet, at least the non-engineering focused parts I could understand.  It was made clear in it that the park took a 'band-aid' approach to fixes in the track and structure and the park and/or RCCA used bad wood to construct the ride.  The park also did all fixes in house and didn't consult a third party to fix it.  That's negligence.  

The ride wasn't good. It was designed to be a record breaker. It had one loop and 4 helixes, that was it.

No airtime hills, no wobbles, it was the most generic there and back that just happened to have a loop. You went too far and was too bouncy to be enjoyable.

Heck even the landscaping didn't exist.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Since most of, if not, all of it's structure would have needed to be replaced, would that really be 'saving' it?  Would it be considered 'saved' if a ground-up woodie or RMC that started from the SOB station were built instead of Banshee?  I'm confident in guessing that the park still wouldn't have named it Son of Beast to alleviate confusion among the GP.   Heck, some GP think Mystic Timbers is SOB re-located and/or re-named from the Paramount era.

You never know. Plates and composites are used for redirecting loads. You could have easily gotten away with only installing a few plates to strengthen the coaster.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I often look at Goliath at SFGA and I'm suprised at the lack of wood in the lift hill in comparison to SOB or even SV. 

With the right mechanics it COULD be rebuilt but I don't know if PR would like that.

Why would you even rebuild it? The ride wasn't that good and the layout was extremely uninspired. RCCA could have all the money in the world and they would build a coaster with a pre-drop the size of the curvature of the earth.

• Haha 1