I-Street Pictures Discussion

Phantom Theater

I wanted to ask before I post this. I got some hi-res satellite images of the park in today and wanted to share a couple of I-street. These images were taken on 2/25/2019. It doesn't show too much of what is going, its just an HD satellite image so you're just seeing everything from above. I recall some people not wanting those kinds of images, so any response on whether or not I should post these would be great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

I wanted to ask before I post this. I got some hi-res satellite images of the park in today and wanted to share a couple of I-street. 

Please no pictures of I-Street. We need to wait until the park is ready to release photos. Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

The park wants to keep International Street a surprise until the park opens.  We are respecting the park`s wishes on this.  No links to photos, or actual photos will be allowed.

So when someone finds the next coaster's layout, are we going to blacklist that as well?

• Like 6

On 3/8/2019 at 6:45 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Please no pictures of I-Street. We need to wait until the park is ready to release photos. Thanks!

I think further clarification on what can be posted or not posted needs to be revised in light of the advancements in technology since the ToS were first developed.  The ToS are clear that "Posting information that is not public record and could be damaging to the reputation, business and/or day to day operation of Kings Island or its affiliates is a violation of the terms of service. Any information posted claiming to be from an inside source or claiming to be confirmed, when not being released from Kings Island or Cedar Fair, must be posted along with the name of the source. Failure to do so is a violation of an individual user's terms of service."

That seems clear, yet my interpretation of "recent" events on this site seems to say that things like Notice of Commencements and plans filed at the County can be linked and referenced and shown and discussed and not frowned upon, but photos or videos readily available and legally made are frowned upon?  If O'Rourke Construction did not have a confidentiality clause in their contract and took a video of it and posted it that becomes public record - why is that frowned upon being posted and linked here?  Same with any commercial company legally obtaining aerial photos?  Kings Island never publicly announced that many of the shows are contracted out, yet members can discuss that and name the companies involved and that is accepted here.  The list goes on and I believe the forum is inconsistent on enforcing the policy.

I can understand any photos or information posted by an employee taken during hours the park is opened to the public is a no-no and can get the employee fired.  I can understand anything obtained by trespassing is a no-no.  A company doing work for Kings Island and Kings Island failing to put language in the contract regarding not mentioning that work until Kings Island public announces it and said company posts it on their social media channels should be fair game?  Same with a company doing the design or construction of the next ride and lists it on their website before the announcement should be fair game (which we would hope doesn't happen as they should have confidentiality clauses in place to prevent that)?  Is a member taking photos from a private plane fair game? If Google Maps or some other public domain commercial entity happens to post aerial photos should be fair game?

Maybe a FAQ section giving examples of what can and cannot be posted regarding this topic would be of benefit and might prevent some of this discussion from taking place.

• Like 5

Wonder if the *redacted* media team has sent Nearmap a cease and desist? 

Good luck with that. If everyone knew about satellite tasking and trying to get imagery without foliage and cloud cover it would all make sense. The reality is, this is probably more coincidence than anything else. It would be the same as if Google just happened to get satellite images right now as well.

3 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

Good luck with that. If everyone knew about satellite tasking and trying to get imagery without foliage and cloud cover it would all make sense. The reality is, this is probably more coincidence than anything else. It would be the same as if Google just happened to get satellite images right now as well.

Nearmap isn't satellite, it's aerial. And they do passes over most the country a few times a year. Certain areas more than others. 

But yeah, theres nothing illegal they are doing, so they'll keep doing it. 

Nearmap isn't satellite, it's aerial. And they do passes over most the country a few times a year. Certain areas more than others. 

Hamilton County used to pay for aerial imagery, not satellite. There would be “+” and “L” signs on lots of manhole covers to make sure shots were lined up correctly.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

The park wants to keep International Street a surprise until the park opens.  We are respecting the park`s wishes on this.  No links to photos, or actual photos will be allowed.

I guess that's fair. To lighten the mood, here is a random KI picture:Image result for kings island https://i.pinimg.com/originals/52/90/a5/5290a5a0f8a0e6878b6b8e99a091752d.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, fryoj said:

Unfortunately, some people do things - even if they're completely legal and ethical - and others are held accountable for it... whether they have anything to do with it or not.

See also: photos and videos of Firehawk from O'Rourke's social media. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I think further clarification on what can be posted or not posted needs to be revised in light of the advancements in technology since the ToS were first developed.  The ToS are clear that "Posting information that is not public record and could be damaging to the reputation, business and/or day to day operation of Kings Island or its affiliates is a violation of the terms of service. Any information posted claiming to be from an inside source or claiming to be confirmed, when not being released from Kings Island or Cedar Fair, must be posted along with the name of the source. Failure to do so is a violation of an individual user's terms of service."

That seems clear, yet my interpretation of "recent" events on this site seems to say that things like Notice of Commencements and plans filed at the County can be linked and referenced and shown and discussed and not frowned upon, but photos or videos readily available and legally made are frowned upon?  If O'Rourke Construction did not have a confidentiality clause in their contract and took a video of it and posted it that becomes public record - why is that frowned upon being posted and linked here?  Same with any commercial company legally obtaining aerial photos?  Kings Island never publicly announced that many of the shows are contracted out, yet members can discuss that and name the companies involved and that is accepted here.  The list goes on and I believe the forum is inconsistent on enforcing the policy.

I can understand any photos or information posted by an employee taken during hours the park is opened to the public is a no-no and can get the employee fired.  I can understand anything obtained by trespassing is a no-no.  A company doing work for Kings Island and Kings Island failing to put language in the contract regarding not mentioning that work until Kings Island public announces it and said company posts it on their social media channels should be fair game?  Same with a company doing the design or construction of the next ride and lists it on their website before the announcement should be fair game (which we would hope doesn't happen as they should have confidentiality clauses in place to prevent that)?  Is a member taking photos from a private plane fair game? If Google Maps or some other public domain commercial entity happens to post aerial photos should be fair game?

Maybe a FAQ section giving examples of what can and cannot be posted regarding this topic would be of benefit and might prevent some of this discussion from taking place.

You are 100% correct on some of the inconsistency. We would love to be able to define it further for clarification. The only issue is that the park handles each project differently. Once a project starts there is a plan on how it is handled and marketed. Sometimes the park will share what it would like to be shared and not shared at the time.  It could be different for each project, so there's no way to have a page that shares exactly what is it appropriate not appropriate for everything. As fans and supporters of the park, we try and comply with the wishes of the park as much as we can. I hope that helps answer your questions.

• Like 1

Since this reads as though you receive directive from the park regarding their wishes 'per project'. To help people here understand, why don't you share them (directives/wishes/policies) with us directly? Make a sticky or something so people can be pointed in the right direction.

People come and go on this site. To expect everyone to follow this ambigious policy and understand this ambigious relationship with the park is just a wish.

Giving everyone some clearer upfront guidelines would prevent up a number of back and forth discussions under the various topics.  I don't post much, but I'm a regular lurker on this site, and even I l'm confused at times what the mods consider acceptable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Since this reads as though you receive directive from the park regarding their wishes 'per project'. To help people here understand, why don't you share them (directives/wishes/policies) with us directly? Make a sticky or something so people can be pointed in the right direction.

People come and go on this site. To expect everyone to follow this ambigious policy and understand this ambigious relationship with the park is just a wish.

Giving everyone some clearer upfront guidelines would prevent up a number of back and forth discussions under the various topics.  I don't post much, but I'm a regular lurker on this site, and even I l'm confused at times what the mods consider acceptable.

This, my friend, is a slippery, slippery slope.

• Like 1

Reminds me of  an old saying on here: "Things are a lot more like they are now than when I got here".

Actually, none of this is new.  Kings Island is the hot senior girl, and KIC is the nerdy freshman boy.  She calls the shots and tells us when and where and if we can call her.  Sure, we could break up, but she's holding all the cards.  

11 minutes ago, Maddog said:

The park can't admit to exerting control over an independent website. Thats even if it's official park policy and not just individuals who work for the park pursuing their own agenda. 

And, for obvious reasons, an independent website can't admit to doing the bidding of the park, or the individuals mentioned above. 

1 minute ago, KIfan73 said:

Reminds me of  an old saying on here: "Things are a lot more like they are now than when I got here".

Actually, none of this is new.  Kings Island is the hot senior girl, and KIC is the nerdy freshman boy.  She calls the shots and tells us when and where and if we can call her.  Sure, we could break up, but she's holding all the cards.  

Depends on what cards is she holding. If the hot senior girl is just dating the QB, what good does that do for the rest of the team? Sure it's great for the QB, but the backup linemen want to see pictures too. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the relationship seems to be a little more 'complicated' than what one would expect from an independent site. 

My take, it is hard for people who post when inconsistencies abound. It would be easier for everyone to follow along if the mods give some better pointers. After-the-fact schooling always leaves a bitter taste. 

• Like 3

Not everything is cut and dry. When the park shares pictures or information, we share them on our social media outlets and KIC. As I mentioned above, the park handles each project differently in terms of sharing information. They want International Street to be a surprise to the public. We do our part to support the park.

Do know, we are reading your posts and are listening. We will do everything we can. If you have further concerns, please send me a PM.

Let's now get back on topic. Thanks.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Maddog said:

Yeah, the relationship seems to be a little more 'complicated' than what one would expect from an independent site. 

My take, it is hard for people who post when inconsistencies abound. It would be easier for everyone to follow along if the mods give some better pointers. After-the-fact schooling always leaves a bitter taste. 

Just to add, the moderators on KIC have never taken removing content from the forum lightly. We value open sharing and discussion, and we don't remove posts just because the park doesn't like them. People shouldn't feel apprehensive about, for example, posting honest opinions or digging for information in public records.

That said, the relationship can get complicated when the park asks for the site's help. With the International Street project, the park asked that fans and supporters wait until the big reveal before sharing construction photos or video publicly, even if they are taken without trespassing or violating any park rules. Since most KIC members are strong supporters of the park, we passed along the message.

Keeping outdoor construction a secret just isn't possible in 2019, so those who want to be spoiled will of course be able to find pictures. Discussing what you've seen in satellite images, or even how to find them, is perfectly acceptable; all we asked was that they not be linked or embedded here in this specific case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malem said:

Just to add, the moderators on KIC have never taken removing content from the forum lightly. We value open sharing and discussion, and we don't remove posts just because the park doesn't like them. People shouldn't feel apprehensive about, for example, posting honest opinions or digging for information in public records.

Bodda's post disagrees with this. I've also seen conversations to the contrary. I, like others, would like an official statement on this, but know that's not going to be coming. I come here because you usually get quicker and better info about new rides and improvements before any other site. With a major addition coming next year, I'm concerned that things are going to be censored because "the park hasn't released it yet" and it's going to drive people to other sites. It's not been a problem in the past, but this international street thing has stooped to a new low of tampering. For Banshee and MT, blueprints/footer plans were posted before any kind of official release happened. If they are going to flip out over legal aerial photos for what amounts to some concrete and paver work, I can't imagine them allowing blueprints. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Bodda's post disagrees with this. I've also seen conversations to the contrary. I, like others, would like an official statement on this, but know that's not going to be coming. I come here because you usually get quicker and better info about new rides and improvements before any other site. With a major addition coming next year, I'm concerned that things are going to be censored because "the park hasn't released it yet" and it's going to drive people to other sites. It's not been a problem in the past, but this international street thing has stooped to a new low of tampering. For Banshee and MT, blueprints/footer plans were posted before any kind of official release happened. If they are going to flip out over legal aerial photos for what amounts to some concrete and paver work, I can't imagine them allowing blueprints. 

My post was my experience. Theirs may be different.

Also, to be clear, there’s another source of KI news on another platform in which one of the admins posted that the park would pull anyone’s season pass that “spreads a false rumor” or something like that. I can tell you as the person who was personally held accountable for nearly every park rumor for over a decade that I was never threatened to have my pass pulled or that I would be unwelcome at the park in any way. Nor was it ever  discusses about for anyone on KIC for reasons like that. I find it hard to believe that they were told to post that.

But I feel for the staff here. What do you do? The park wants to keep I Street quiet. They should respect that. But what is the threshold of that respect?  I understand that flying a drone over the park shouldn’t be allowed, but what about public record? What if someone heard something from someone and it turned out to be true? Is that supposed to be censored?

All I know is that this next offseason will be far far worse than this for the staff here. 

• Like 5

I feel like this debate is the amusement park equivalent to leaking spoilers for upcoming films. People send up drones, trespass onto stages, and/or have crew members snap photos of sets, costumes, and concept art. The arguments are the same. One side wants to know, must know, and claims to have the "right" to know what's going to happen in the latest Star Wars/Avengers movie, while the other side would rather save that experience for the way it's meant to be seen. 

Personally, I'm not here less for gossip on upcoming attractions and more for discussion on past and current ones, as well as my love for the park itself. 

• Like 1