I-Street Pictures Discussion

Phantom Theater

2 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I would just say if you want to see these pics or if someone has pics to keep them private and only send them in direct messages and not posted on the boards. This keep people happy that do not want to see anything and others who do as well. I do not condone trespassing as well. I am not sure about the flights over the park as I am not sure if its legal or not?

Yes the flights are legal, Kings Island does not have a no fly zone and from what others have said on here the photos have come from a private company who does aerial surveys. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phantom Theater said:

I really do want to apologize for this. I didn't mean to cause any kind of tension between mods and users. With the park being closed, I think it is reasonable for Kings Island and KIC to ask that photos of construction not be shared. Even though the photos I have are legally obtained (and were actually paid for!), they wish for them to not be shared. I asked if it was okay before I even posted the photos and I was told it was *best* not to. The mods did not remove the photos as I never posted them.

Like I said before, we will see stuff very soon! Even if they don't share photos before opening day, the park opens in just a little over a month. Then the photos will be completely irrelevant except for before and after pics.

Don't blame yourself. This issue has been bubbling up here for years. At one point mods were threatening bans for users not capitalizing ride names properly. It was directly attributed to an edict from the park. Theres been a number of other things over the years in a similar vein. This was coming at one point regardless. Theres clearly two sides to this issue(three if you count those who don't care either way). Neither is necessarily right nor is either necessarily wrong.

As a customer of KI, I am not beholden to them to keep secrets nor am I stuck to their timetables for information being released. While on their property, I am required to, and do, go by their rules. While off their property, if I'm not breaking the law, theres nothing they can really do about it. I'm a paying customer. They don't pay me. Now there are members of this site who are employees of the park, and they have different rules, and I respect that. 

As for this site, by using this board, we are expected to abide by their rules if we want to keep using it. They have decided that the park has some level of control over what's posted here. How much control is not known to the public. I've seen glimpses of what they've been told, and by who, both posted publicly and private messages. Personally I feel it's an over-reach, but it's not my board. I, like others, would like more transparency. We've been given some vague guidelines, but no one, not even the mods, seem to know when those will change, or be applied to the more important decoding 2020 thread. If that one turns into a "wait for the park to release it" thread..... turn out the lights. 

As a point of comparison, the Universal and Disney parks have many boards covering them. They typically fall into two categories. One is where the boards post park press releases word for word, post glowing reviews, and generally stop any negative or "non public" info. Those are the ones where the owners get invited to media events, get comps, passes, hotel rooms, etc. The other is the ones that pretty much let anything go except clearly illegally taken photos. Those don't get recognized by the park nor any of the perks. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Not everything is cut and dry. When the park shares pictures or information, we share them on our social media outlets and KIC. As I mentioned above, the park handles each project differently in terms of sharing information. They want International Street to be a surprise to the public. We do our part to support the park.

Do know, we are reading your posts and are listening. We will do everything we can. If you have further concerns, please send me a PM.

Let's now get back on topic. Thanks.

I get where both sides are coming from, although I agree all legally obtained items should be fair game. The only thing that didn't settle right with me was the last line of this. To me it felt so authoritative. Regardless I've been reading this thread for years and never took the time to contribute until reading this thread. I plan on doing so more now. I love the speculating and mystery solving as others have said. I hope this continues despite these regulations. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, 139Signal27 said:

Obviously, this thread has gone way off topic, but I hope it is left intact. I think it's important that everything said here remains accessable to everyone. It would be a shame if this conversation we're deleted, and members were unable to contribute and refer to it.

I don't see how a thread full of disrespect to the moderators is worth saving. A TOS remainder thread for clarification however, may work.

I'm going to just say one thing, THANK YOU to the moderators on this page, to me they are great with this group unlike other groups out there that oh you can't say anything bad about the park, you will get scolded or removed. I'm sorry I absolutely love KI and Cedar Fair but especially in today's day and age, nothing is going to be absolutely 100% perfect. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a healthy discussion, especially if it can help to get an issue rectified. I'm not that stupid to think that higher ups of KI don't read this board. What better feedback than from the parks biggest fans? I haven't been on here in a while but now I remember why I love this group so much, we are not monitored like school children. I'm ok with whatever the mods think is best for the group photo wise, as long as we still have a voice!

On 3/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, chugh43 said:

No....why don't you ask @Dane if he is independent from the site. There's such a thing of a working-relationship...KIC scratches KI's back, KI scratches KIC's back. It is disrespect, Brad, Matthew and Robbie have responded and clarified the situation and that's not good enough for some people so they continue to argue about it. That's disrespect.

KIC is an independent site from official Cedar Fair Kings Island. It has a working professional/political relationship to do this whole thing with them. They give us exclusive media and access to cover things to share with you and sometimes they ask for things to be removed or hidden. Its a give and take. We all volunteer to do this because of our love for the park. Sometimes it is fun and fulfilling, but also many times it can be quite stressful. We try and roll with the punches the best we can.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

I like the way KICentral and KI itself is doing the International Street renovation reveal.  This is not a every year thing,  so this helps build excitement to walk inside the park, and we can experience the "not knowing what's on the other side",  just like when it first opened back in 1972!   Relax, and realize it won't be that long till the park is open again.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Joshua said:

I apologize. I shouldn't have used the word "dimwitted," and I certainly didn't mean to imply (nor did I say) KIC members were as such, as I was speaking from my own experiences, as well as the experiences people have shared with me. My intent was to say that most people complain about people every day at their jobs, that it is not that big of a deal, was said in private and probably in jest, and someone shouldn't necessarily be fired for it as implied. 

The mods asked us not to continue with the discussion on the other thread. 

Read this thread. It's not about a single comment where a KI staff member talked down about people to those people. This goes deeper and has been going on for years.

• Like 2

Lurker chiming in...

The mods of this site owe nothing to us.  They may get some minor perks here and there, but they spend considerable time to maintain a site and social media presence.  Abide by it or don't comment.

As someone who volunteers for several religious and non-profit ventures, and coaches, I have ZERO tolerance for anyone who complains at someone who is doing something for someone else's benefit.  If, say, we pay a fee to be part of this site, then complain away. 

Also, the internet is really big and you can find that info in many other places.  This argument is dumb on many levels. 

• Like 4

On 3/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, fryoj said:

Don't blame yourself. This issue has been bubbling up here for years. At one point mods were threatening bans for users not capitalizing ride names properly. It was directly attributed to an edict from the park. Theres been a number of other things over the years in a similar vein. This was coming at one point regardless. Theres clearly two sides to this issue(three if you count those who don't care either way). Neither is necessarily right nor is either necessarily wrong.

As a customer of KI, I am not beholden to them to keep secrets nor am I stuck to their timetables for information being released. While on their property, I am required to, and do, go by their rules. While off their property, if I'm not breaking the law, theres nothing they can really do about it. I'm a paying customer. They don't pay me. Now there are members of this site who are employees of the park, and they have different rules, and I respect that. 

As for this site, by using this board, we are expected to abide by their rules if we want to keep using it. They have decided that the park has some level of control over what's posted here. How much control is not known to the public. I've seen glimpses of what they've been told, and by who, both posted publicly and private messages. Personally I feel it's an over-reach, but it's not my board. I, like others, would like more transparency. We've been given some vague guidelines, but no one, not even the mods, seem to know when those will change, or be applied to the more important decoding 2020 thread. If that one turns into a "wait for the park to release it" thread..... turn out the lights. 

As a point of comparison, the Universal and Disney parks have many boards covering them. They typically fall into two categories. One is where the boards post park press releases word for word, post glowing reviews, and generally stop any negative or "non public" info. Those are the ones where the owners get invited to media events, get comps, passes, hotel rooms, etc. The other is the ones that pretty much let anything go except clearly illegally taken photos. Those don't get recognized by the park nor any of the perks. 

It can be pretty easy to see what the park is looking to do. The permits and trademarks filed, to my knowledge are no longer under the control of Cedar Fair after they are filed. This is because if you have to file a permit, it normally becomes public record. This is probably why the permits are very vague. Anybody can request a copy of a public record, so it is almost impossible for the park to keep anything a secret for too long. I know that is how the Cincinnati Enquirer and Cincinnati.com journalists got the information from the Warren County Recorder's Office from a proposal or a permit filing. The park may not like it, but they cannot do much other than use code names to an extent.