Jump to content
DeltaFlyer

Facebook Ad for Illegally Recording Video?

Recommended Posts

Just got this sponsored ad on Facebook. They are offering a “discount” on camera sunglasses to get people to send them videos from the park. I can only assume the aim would be illegal on-ride videos. Thoughts?

6973E8FA-8291-47F1-BFDF-95C8F40105E7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Just to reference @DonHelbig's post about DaVideo... 

Enjoy!

He may be wrong though.

Theres also the creepo who takes photos of people’s families at KI and tries to sell them to the family. He posted on Twitter that he was working on a project with the staff at KI and when I reached out to them none of them knew what he was talking about because - you guessed it - he was blocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the law and, also, the parks policy about on ride videos? I'm pretty sure the park's policy is none at all, but I wonder what the actual law says. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the law and, also, the parks policy about on ride videos? I'm pretty sure the park's policy is none at all, but I wonder what the actual law says. 

If the park says no cameras then it’s a misdemeanor I believe since you’re technically violating ride operators instructions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

If the park says no cameras then it’s a misdemeanor I believe since you’re technically violating ride operators instructions.

Correct. The law does not state anything except you must follow all verbal, written, and posted instructions. It’s not illegal to POV, it’s illegal to violate park rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Correct. The law does not state anything except you must follow all verbal, written, and posted instructions. It’s not illegal to POV, it’s illegal to violate park rules.

That's odd to me. That's like saying it's a misdemeanor to take 5 items into the Walmart changing room when the sign says the max is 4. It's a company policy which usually isn't covered by laws. I guess it has to do with it being "dangerous" to ride the rides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going with someone could literally walk around with those all day and most wouldn’t know what is going on. Security isn’t going to figure it out.

I’ve been questioned about both my Keyport and the Challenge coin I carry with me. If they can’t understand those items they aren’t going to figure out sunglasses with an onboard camera.

When AR glasses become a thing are they going to question those too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fryoj said:

That's odd to me. That's like saying it's a misdemeanor to take 5 items into the Walmart changing room when the sign says the max is 4. It's a company policy which usually isn't covered by laws. I guess it has to do with it being "dangerous" to ride the rides. 

I think it’s a good system. The park knows what’s safe. The state does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I think it’s a good system. The park knows what’s safe. The state does not.

Oh it's no doubt the park is the experts on the issue. I just ended up on an off topic tangent about the law enforcing a company policy. I agree with the policy actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fryoj said:

Oh it's no doubt the park is the experts on the issue. I just ended up on an off topic tangent about the law enforcing a company policy. I agree with the policy actually. 

It's because as per your example, the government has no regulatory oversight on dressing rooms.

They do (through the Department of Agriculture) have oversight on amusement rides as a matter of public safety.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.551v1

says
 

1711.551 Duties of riders.

(A) No rider shall fail to do any of the following:

(1) Heed all written warnings and directions that require a person to meet certain conditions or to refrain from certain actions regarding an amusement ride, as determined by rule by the director of agriculture;

(2) Refrain from behaving or acting in any manner that may cause injury or contribute to injuring himself or other people while occupying an amusement ride.

 

(B) The director, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt, and may amend and rescind, rules governing the types of warnings and directions required to be followed pursuant to this section. Rules adopted by the director determining the types of printed warnings and directions shall include specifications as to the character, size, and print size of such warnings and directions. At a minimum, the rules shall require the following:

(1) The warnings and directions prominently disclose the penalties imposed if a rider violates section 1711.551 of the Revised Code;

(2) The warnings and directions be based upon the standards of ASTM or the American national standards institute, or any other principles, tests, or standards of nationally recognized technical or scientific authorities that research the proper use of each amusement ride and the potential injuries that occur or are unique to each amusement ride if it is used improperly;

(3) The owner of the amusement ride display the warnings and directions in a public and conspicuous place on or near the ride.


The penalty is covered by http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.99

(C) Whoever violates section 1711.551 of the Revised Code is guilty of a minor misdemeanor; on each subsequent offense such person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

I’m going with someone could literally walk around with those all day and most wouldn’t know what is going on. Security isn’t going to figure it out.

I’ve been questioned about both my Keyport and the Challenge coin I carry with me. If they can’t understand those items they aren’t going to figure out sunglasses with an onboard camera.

When AR glasses become a thing are they going to question those too?

I’ve often wondered that myself. If glasses are safe, what about Google Glass?

Furthermore, they used to put on-ride video on their Snap if rides like Scrambler recorded with the Snap Specticles. This was during normal operating hours. I understand that the park can technically give itself permission to do things like this, but who us to say that it’s safe to do this with other riders when they do it but not safe for you or I to do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Just got this sponsored ad on Facebook. They are offering a “discount” on camera sunglasses to get people to send them videos from the park. I can only assume the aim would be illegal on-ride videos. Thoughts?

6973E8FA-8291-47F1-BFDF-95C8F40105E7.jpeg

I've had this guy follow me on Twitter and others have had problems with him. I've talked to him before and he stated that "pro photos and videos for parks for the last 15 years, mainly for KI when it was ran by Paramount (http://cincyphotography.com )"

I honestly told him myself (as a former ride Op) that they aren't allowed, i've told someone that was in line at Mystic in the station about to board that he couldn't use them and its really how amazing people cant just enjoy rides and NOT record on them.

Referring back to "DaVideo Glasses" I've marked all his stuff as spam and blocked him on everything and i suggest others do the same. that's just my thoughts and opinion though. IMO its people like this that'll make it so one day we cant even wear sunglasses on rides :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading the safety guide, if glasses are allowed, these should be allowed. While the letter of the policy says "taking pictures and filming" is prohibited, it's clear the intent is that people not have a camera or cell phone out while on the ride creating a loose article situation. These would be no different than a normal pair of sunglasses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Just got this sponsored ad on Facebook. They are offering a “discount” on camera sunglasses to get people to send them videos from the park. I can only assume the aim would be illegal on-ride videos. Thoughts?

6973E8FA-8291-47F1-BFDF-95C8F40105E7.jpeg

This guys is trouble! He blocked us on social media for calling him out about doing things like this, and i saw somewhere else in this thread the park is aware of this guy i believe his name is David Long unless that is  a fake name he created but all of his social media i always see that name David Long. This guy  shouldn't get away with this stuff and the community and us can help put a stop to it. Also it just hurts us who wear regular sunglasses on rides or have sensitivity to the sun on a hot summer day. All it takes is for one guy to ruin it all then BOOM no one can wear glasses on rides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 1:24 AM, Drummermattk said:

I've had this guy follow me on Twitter and others have had problems with him. I've talked to him before and he stated that "pro photos and videos for parks for the last 15 years, mainly for KI when it was ran by Paramount (http://cincyphotography.com )"

This guy is a real treat: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I take it he was one of those who boycotted Captain Marvel.. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This company follows me on my account that I use for putting my photos and videos of the park"s shows on and every few months they comment on some of my photos and try to DM me, trying to convince me to buy their product. I don't want to block because technically they're not doing anything wrong but it's defiantly annoying   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

This guy is a real treat: 

 

Don't get me started on this guy, He's a few fries short of a Happy Meal. I've also heard some creepy stories from other photographers about him. He tried to start tagging KI50MOVIE to his posts during Winterfest and in January. Let's just say after I threatened him legal action for him trying multiple times to associate my brand BLMedia and KI50MOVIE to his product, it stopped. The park is aware of this guy. Let's just say he is not very smart at hiding who he is. He lives pretty much 10 minutes from the park.   

 

19 minutes ago, Kayla_Uzlik said:

This company follows me on my account that I use for putting my photos and videos of the park"s shows on and every few months they comment on some of my photos and try to DM me, trying to convince me to buy their product. I don't want to block because technically they're not doing anything wrong but it's defiantly annoying   

You are better off blocking him. Trust me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Again, I find myself saying this.....

  Until the parks actively police YouTube, and other video posting sites, and requests any unauthorized videos to be removed, this will continue.  Remove the forum and the problem resolves itself.  If there isn't a way to get those "likes" the motivation goes away.

  And as others have mentioned, why watch a shaky blurry video, when almost all rides have a high quality authorized POV readily available? 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NoChickens said:

  Again, I find myself saying this.....

  Until the parks actively police YouTube, and other video posting sites, and requests any unauthorized videos to be removed, this will continue.  Remove the forum and the problem resolves itself.  If there isn't a way to get those "likes" the motivation goes away.

  And as others have mentioned, why watch a shaky blurry video, when almost all rides have a high quality authorized POV readily available? 

  

Part of the problem is consistency too.  Disney doesn't seem to care if you have your phone out on rides.  Universal makes you go as far as going through a metal detector.  Sea World lets you record on a GoPro if you have a wrist or a chest strap.  I understand that the signage says that you aren't allowed to, but if you are used to being allowed to do it then you are going to assume that they can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gordon Bombay @Kayla_Uzlik I've blocked that guy on Twitter. He just uses his Twitter to get into arguments. If you prove him wrong with stone cold facts, he won't accept the fact he's wrong. Apparently according to multiple people and a review on Google he creeps on women on Facebook and social media. He's also spammed Kings Island and the PR guys to try to get into media events.

Kind of like @Oldschool75 said, you're better off blocking that POS. That's advice for everyone here. He's done plenty wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 6:50 AM, Fye Coasters said:

and the community and us can help put a stop to it.

I agree with this statement 100%. We can begin by blocking him, then write to the CEO of Facebook and/or Twitter asking them to remove him from their platform. If things escalate, we can take legal action against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you guys are giving too much credit to YouTube and social media in that they'll participate in such attempts to do away with illegal POV's with how much they focus on views as part of their business.  There are a lot of other things (things I can't discuss because TOS) that they also should be censoring but don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...