DDN: 334-site outdoor resort, RV camping planned near Kings Island

BoddaH1994

On 3/17/2019 at 3:25 PM, standbyme said:

I love this news!!! Some of my fondest Kings Island memories are attending Fearfest and coming back to the campground to roast marshmallows around a nice warm fire. :)

Riding Top Gun at night back then was the best. 

• Like 3

This article has me wondering if Cedar Fair has plans to get into the hotel game near Kings Island.  The grass patch at the corner of Kings Island Drive and Western Row wold seem to be an ideal spot with easy freeway access with the new ramps.  Other investors have already put up a new hotel off Kings Island Drive and then there is interest in putting in a campground so there must be data showing a demand for more rooms in the area.  I expect the demand would not just be vacationers, but business travelers as well with the increasing investment in commercial facilities along Innovation Way.  Something like what they are doing down at Carrowinds would seem a perfect fit.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Also, I wonder what this future Kings Island Drive extension is?

Obviously to extend the road to transfer KI guests by shuttle to the 2nd station of the world's longest giga coaster (behind the campground)! :P

TBH I could see it as a future route to get on and off 71, to keep the majority of the traffic off of 741 or to connect Mason Rd. or Lebanon Countryside Trail to 71 via exit/entrance ramps.

Edit: 

Looking closer at the plans, @pianoman would be very happy if these plans come to fruition:
Untitled.png

2 hours ago, Pez said:

Other investors have already put up a new hotel off Kings Island Drive and then there is interest in putting in a campground so there must be data showing a demand for more rooms in the area.  I expect the demand would not just be vacationers, but business travelers as well with the increasing investment in commercial facilities along Innovation Way

I agree with this about rooms being more in demand in this area and would like to add to it that as someone from out of town who will stay in the Mason area hotels probably 2 or 3 times a season for extended KI weekends, that over the last 2 years I have noticed a fairly significant price increase for the hotels.  Just the other day I was looking into getting a room for the Friday of Passholder preview night and it was about 35% higher rate to book the room than when I stayed in the same place for haunt in October.  Same chain in Beechmont was significantly lower rate for the same night.  

When I went to Cedar Point back in August, we camped at Camp Sandusky which is a few minutes away from the park. The thing with that campground is that it is right near the road and I remember being awoken a couple of times from cars driving by and motorcycles starting up. Well there was a McDonald's across the street so that's where we went for Breakfast. 

14 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

When I went to Cedar Point back in August, we camped at Camp Sandusky which is a few minutes away from the park. The thing with that campground is that it is right near the road and I remember being awoken a couple of times from cars driving by and motorcycles starting up. Well there was a McDonald's across the street so that's where we went for Breakfast. 

Check out Crystal Rock Camp Ground its not far from the park at all for Cedar Point.

There will apparently be no tent camping, so the noise factor is not much of a big deal.  They will have an amphitheater, so I could see some noise interference from the freeway with that, but more than likely, the freeway noise will just blend into the background.  The RV sections will be noisy by nature because RVs are noisy vehicles.

4 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Just doesn't seem very " Camp=-y".

There isn't a whole lot of anywhere in Mason that is campy, besides the back part of KI.  I'm not an RVer, so I don't know much about that aspect, but I'm interested in seeing the cabins and the yurts.  And, @Maverick44, I bet they could plant a BUNCH of the Intamin coastal cypress trees and B&M HyperBushes to mute the sound and add to aesthetics!  Maybe they could gather some of the heirloom Arrow thorn bush seeds for added security.  I just hope the Mystic ivy vines do not spread over from the Miami Valley Lumber Co.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1