2019 Meals and Restau...RANTs

Stoan

After years finally decided to get a meal plan. Since the kids wanted different things, my daughter and I went to Subway and wife and son to Coney BBQ. In the time that my wife and son had been through the CBQ line and eaten most of their food, we were still in the Subway line. They were making the sandwiches, bagging them up, tossing them in a pile for the cashier to re-open/find the correct one and eventually ring the guest up. The line seriously did not move at all. It's one thing to just be slow--but this was the most inefficient assembly line I've ever seen. My wife suggested they write the guests' names on the wrapped sandwiches lol.

Yeah, and these stories is why my family decided not to get the meal plan this year and just eat outside the park. We no longer feel like we have to eat just because we can while we are at the park. This lets us get some more rides in while we are at the park and we can get a better quality food as well. I just don’t understand why food service is the way it is. Skyline even taste off at the park. 

• Like 1

We actually feel like if we didn’t have the meal plan, we wouldn’t go to the park as often. I’d say a dozen times/year we essentially go to the park for dinner or lunch, and we hit a couple rides before and after.

Don’t feel like cooking dinner? Let’s go get BBQ sammiches and then stroll through Planet Snoopy with the kids. Lunchtime on Sunday? Let’s go eat Tom & Chee, hit the rides on Coney Mall and then bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sol44 said:

We actually feel like if we didn’t have the meal plan, we wouldn’t go to the park as often. I’d say a dozen times/year we essentially go to the park for dinner or lunch, and we hit a couple rides before and after.

Don’t feel like cooking dinner? Let’s go get BBQ sammiches and then stroll through Planet Snoopy with the kids. Lunchtime on Sunday? Let’s go eat Tom & Chee, hit the rides on Coney Mall and then bounce.

We are in the same boat.  When we got the meal plan last year, our number of trips greatly increased.  Like this past Sunday, we ate lunch, rode about 5 rides, ate dinner, and left.  At the end of last season, we had purchased enough meals that our per meal cost was $1.43.  Very happy with that!  Plus, having the meal plan, I feel like I have the freedom to try some things that I normally wouldn't try.

Definitely need better trained (and even additional) cashiers at the Brewhouse.   On Sunday the line moved so slow like the cashiers had never rang anything up before.   Took 30 minutes from just inside the door to reach the cashiers..... so slow.

Will KI (or any park in the CF chain) ever roll out mobile food ordering from their app? (KI will need to fix their park Wi-fi issues first). - even Six Flags is rolling out mobile food ordering at select dining locations on their app (just like Disney and Universal) in late May, and seems like KI might be one of the last parks to consider such technology. 

More cashiers at the brew house might enable you to sit sooner... But it would just make the line look shorter at the expense of food taking longer... I don't feel like getting my order into the system is the bottle neck... It's getting the orders filled that actually takes time.

4 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

We are in the same boat.  When we got the meal plan last year, our number of trips greatly increased.  Like this past Sunday, we ate lunch, rode about 5 rides, ate dinner, and left.  At the end of last season, we had purchased enough meals that our per meal cost was $1.43.  Very happy with that!  Plus, having the meal plan, I feel like I have the freedom to try some things that I normally wouldn't try.

It was a $1.43 and the park likely still made money.  

Many places are going to self-order kiosks, so they don't have to hire staff.  One person can babysit many kiosks.  like the self check out lanes at Krogers. Management LOVES to not have to pay people.  I think soon most customer service will be self-service.

51 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

It was a $1.43 and the park likely still made money.  

I'm sure they probably did, and that is fine with me.  It is just way cheaper than we could have done by packing lunches or eating outside of the park.

17 hours ago, russell_dale said:

Many places are going to self-order kiosks, so they don't have to hire staff.  One person can babysit many kiosks.  like the self check out lanes at Krogers. Management LOVES to not have to pay people.  I think soon most customer service will be self-service.

It's not just that they don't have to pay people... They also don't have to hire people... And with all the complaints about short staffing, can you blame them??? It's not "taking someone's job" if no one wants the job...

• Like 1

I get the platinum meal plan option so I can eat at the other parks as well.  Definitely got my money's worth.  Overall I don't have a huge issue with KI's food.  Love Coney BBQ.  I do feel KI can step it up.  Fest Haus will have a line to the doors, and only one queue open.  Something that can help speed the lines up is to have one queue set up as a meal plan line and the other general public.  That could allow one side to just have the food ready to go and would be a great promotion to purchase the meal plan.

3 hours ago, Firehawk44 said:

I get the platinum meal plan option so I can eat at the other parks as well.  Definitely got my money's worth.  Overall I don't have a huge issue with KI's food.  Love Coney BBQ.  I do feel KI can step it up.  Fest Haus will have a line to the doors, and only one queue open.  Something that can help speed the lines up is to have one queue set up as a meal plan line and the other general public.  That could allow one side to just have the food ready to go and would be a great promotion to purchase the meal plan.

Staffing is a huge problem for that department. Hopefully the dorms will help with that.

Also, consider that’s Coney BBQ was built with two sides. I’ve only seen the right side open twice: the first day it was ever open and opening day this year. There may be a few more days peppered in there but I don’t miss many operating days and I hadn’t seen it happen. 

• Like 1

For us the dining plan is a great value since we put everything on our passes in the Fall, we never have to worry about not having money to go to the park. We live almost 2 hours away but did 47 trips last year and probably had both meals most days except for maybe a couple. We also love that we can take a trip up to CP and the same thing, we just need gas in the car. We aren't always 100% pleased with the food but for the most part it's decent. The biggest issues I see this season is we used to eat at reds all the time, getting salads when it was hot. Yes Brewhouse has entree salads but they are about half the size of last year's, kind of disappointing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harmony29 said:

For us the dining plan is a great value since we put everything on our passes in the Fall, we never have to worry about not having money to go to the park. We live almost 2 hours away but did 47 trips last year and probably had both meals most days except for maybe a couple. We also love that we can take a trip up to CP and the same thing, we just need gas in the car. We aren't always 100% pleased with the food but for the most part it's decent. The biggest issues I see this season is we used to eat at reds all the time, getting salads when it was hot. Yes Brewhouse has entree salads but they are about half the size of last year's, kind of disappointing.

Jeez half the size? Yes Reds has some really good nice sized salads, disappointing to hear they are half the size

P.s I haven't got on Beast yet this year, hopefully this weekend I get to ride it and will go to row 17.. I hope it's not a trick?? Some backbreaker or something ;p

• Like 1

I've eaten at the new Rivertown Brew House twice this season. The first was on Gold Pass Preview Night & the service was phenomenal! However, I went last weekend and it was terrible! The line was out the door & they only had one cashier. I go to place my order and ask for bacon on my Pub Sandwich (which btw is AMAZING!), and the cashier said "we can't do that!" then I told her I got it the last time I came & she had a little attitude & was like "ok, fine!" So I give her my pass & she scans it & I go on to my seat with my buzzer.

10min goes by and no food. 5min later, my girlfriend & her parents get their food. Another 10min go by & still my food hasn't come out, so I go to a manager to ask what was up. He said he would check on it & would be right back. So I wait for a little bit for him to return & after 5min he is nowhere to be found. I look over & he is at the second register with a guest trying to solve their problem. I walk over & ask him what was up & he said he was going to check. So he leaves & never comes back. Long story short, I asked a team member & they, like the manager, run to the kitchen & never return. After almost an hour I get my food and it's not even hot. Not sure if I should return to the Brewhouse or not.

• Sad 2

On 5/9/2019 at 6:00 PM, LuvingKI said:

Jeez half the size? Yes Reds has some really good nice sized salads, disappointing to hear they are half the size

P.s I haven't got on Beast yet this year, hopefully this weekend I get to ride it and will go to row 17.. I hope it's not a trick?? Some backbreaker or something ;p

Absolutely not a trick, it's what I ride every time and I hate being bounced around. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

9 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Has someone predicted, water has indeed been reinstalled in la Rosa I street.

Perhaps it was always the plan to put that in later... But I'd like to think the park responded quickly to feedback.

~ Thanks

Awesome! That's nice to hear water is available there now.

Anyone figure out where the Coke freestyle machines are located?

So far I have only found 9, and I thought the park had more.  There are 6 in the Coke building, and 3 in the train station.

So where did the machines from Jukebox Diner end up?  Very possible it’s obvious and I overlooked them.

I went to the international restaurant Mother’s Day brunch and I’ve got to to say it was just ok. There’s was decent variety but I wish they had more pastries & a few more options available. My main problem with the brunch was the way it was arranged. They put the omelette station at the very end which resulted in the line coming to a stand still every time someone wanted an omelette. The main issue with this is that by the time I finally got done getting my omelette, my food was already cold. I’d suggest they next year they should try to move the omelette station some where else or have you order  an omelette from your waiter so that the line can keep moving. 

24 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I went to the international restaurant Mother’s Day brunch and I’ve got to to say it was just ok. There’s was decent variety but I wish they had more pastries & a few more options available. My main problem with the brunch was the way it was arranged. They put the omelette station at the very end which resulted in the line coming to a stand still every time someone wanted an omelette. The main issue with this is that by the time I finally got done getting my omelette, my food was already cold. I’d suggest they next year they should try to move the omelette station some where else or have you order  an omelette from your waiter so that the line can keep moving. 

This sort of thing is what they look out for.  I'm sure it'll be corrected in the future.  

What were the food options?

Just now, BoddaH1994 said:

This sort of thing is what they look out for.  I'm sure it'll be corrected in the future.  

What were the food options?

In the bread station they had a variety of bagels and 2 or 3 kinds of small muffins. On the main buffet they offered green beans, a shrimp pasta, a salad station, eggs Benedict, French toast, a carving station turkey & roast beef, omelette station, fresh fruit & 2 kinds of breakfast potatoes. Later on I saw someone with bacon so I assume they put it up later. There was a small desert bar with a few kinds of cheesecake & brownies. They offered coffee and soft drinks.   

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 12:22 AM, Yippee Skippee said:

I really wanted to try the brew house tonight, but when I showed up around 5:30 or so they had the doors locked. 

Just like the Reds Hall of Fame Grill, I don't see this one lasting much long either.

12 hours ago, Joshua said:

From what I understand, that had more to do with the license. 

To be clear, I don’t think that this came from a disagreement with the Reds or anything like that. Reds debuted in 2013, so last year would have been 5 years - likely the length of the license. Probably when it was up for renewal the park just decided to go a different direction so they could market it as being new since the menu was being redone anyway.

• Like 1