2019 Meals and Restau...RANTs

Stoan

One thing I've been noticing about the school groups in terms of cutting is that they'll have a small group get in the line and the larger part of the group will show up later and move in.  I saw a heavy dose of that on the Friday of Coasterstock, both in food lines and ride lines. 

8 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

One thing I've been noticing about the school groups in terms of cutting is that they'll have a small group get in the line and the larger part of the group will show up later and move in.  I saw a heavy dose of that on the Friday of Coasterstock, both in food lines and ride lines. 

Exactly. And at the Auntie Anne's line, a teacher came over and tore into the kids ahead of me, saying it's 4:20, they were supposed to be ON the bus at 4pm. I know for a fact that they were not in line at 4 because I was watching the top of the hour dance outside the Festhaus and went to get a pretzel right after. But even after the teacher yelled at them, the kids stayed and ordered smoothies and pretzels. I wish one of them had been decent enough to let me go first, as a single order and because the group basically cut in front of me. If I was the teacher I would have marched them all out to the waiting bus not let them continue to wait then order.

They need a "single riders" line for the food lines. :D 

Seriously though, the cutting has been ridiculous this year. I had to tap the shoulder of some kid who not so slyly cut my mom while she was in for the Rivertown Coke station. "I tell ya, no respect!"

2 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I'm still longing for a dining plan only line!

I know another park tried that (I want to say Canada, but I’m not sure). Does anyone know if they still do this?

My fear would be that so many people have meal plans that it would be like everyone having Fast Lane, in which the normal line is much shorter than the Fastlane line. 

I feel like there are two big bottlenecks, all of which involve the registers.

1) Pretty obviously - staffing. It almost seems pretty good today. Let’s hope when the dorms open it’s not an issue.

2) All Day Dining - concerting that from a receipt to a wristband seemed like it was a multi-step process. It really slowed things down on days like Education Days where a lot of people have them.

All of the above can be fixed.

• Like 1

Are there any places that have thousand island dressing? My wife has been wanting to do up some salads, but our first foray at the brewhouse was unsuccessful.

Hail Caesar had a laughable amount of dressing on it, and even though it was rung up for dressing on the side they managed to mess that up. The food runner doesn't even ask if everything is OK, they act like they are on fire; stop, drop and roll (out)

The biggest issue I've noticed is the chicken shack in AZ. The food is good don't get me wrong, but the restaurant itself is chaotic. I'm not a big fan of their system. You get an order number and you wait for them to call out your number. The issue is that on busy days, it gets really loud in there and they don't have a microphone to call out the numbers or even a screen where order numbers can pop up on. So it's very hard to hear the order numbers. In fact last fall at haunt, they said the numbers out of order and there were some people by me who said that they were waiting in there for over 30 minutes and many people behind them got their food before them and it was so crowded and was so much racket in there that it was so hard to hear my number. I like the chicken shack, but the chaotic scene it causes in there is my biggest issue. I actually prefer the way it was before where you ordered and got your food and went to the cashier. 

At Cedar Point for the week, thought I’d post a couple pics from Hugo’s.  Really good Italian restaurant.  Something I would LOVE to see come home to KI.  I had the chicken parm sandwich and my wife had a cheese calzone.  Both with garlic knots for the side.

4A657AE7-D88D-48FF-AFCF-B1BF7F2DF9D0.jpeg

0800555D-E9E0-4272-A54B-B5ABD795A997.jpeg

I received an emailed survey today and filled it out mentioning how ridiculously long the lines have been for food. It shouldn't take 30 minutes to wait for Chick-fil-A. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to wait for an Auntie Anne's pretzel. At least the survey was asking about our impressions of food, although it was more focused on variety and value. 

1 hour ago, DonnaFan said:

I received an emailed survey today and filled it out mentioning how ridiculously long the lines have been for food. It shouldn't take 30 minutes to wait for Chick-fil-A. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to wait for an Auntie Anne's pretzel. At least the survey was asking about our impressions of food, although it was more focused on variety and value. 

This is why the food pass needs to go away or be more expensive. You are having poor quality of food that is not consistent in any way. You are trying to keep up with heavy demand and the facilities just can’t handle that many guest. We were able to leave the park eat at a nearby sit down  Restraunt and get back to the park with 70 minutes. We might have boughten food at the park a few times a year before the food plan spending maybe a total of $300 year. When we used to have the food pass we ate more times at the park and paid less money. I would think it would be like this for most families. Just my 2 cents 

• Like 1

So hanks got rid of the wraps?

Bummer

Hanks has been burritos for the last couple of years... So if you mean chicken with lettuce wrapped up in a tortilla... Then yes, you could order that and call it a wrap... But they call it a burrito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Well, I forgot to pack a lunch today at work, so I guess I'm eating at Island Smokehouse for lunch.

I love working 10 minutes from Kings Island. I can easily get there, eat, and get back within my lunch hour and the food is free and it's close enough that I don't spend much on gas. It's especially nice when Soak City is open because you can park so close to the gate on that side of the park.

49 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

Well, I forgot to pack a lunch today at work, so I guess I'm eating at Island Smokehouse for lunch.

I love working 10 minutes from Kings Island. I can easily get there, eat, and get back within my lunch hour and the food is free and it's close enough that I don't spend much on gas. It's especially nice when Soak City is open because you can park so close to the gate on that side of the park.

It's not free, you already paid for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teenageninja said:

It's not free, you already paid for it.

Right, but the money is already spent and the cost does not change whether I use it more or I use it less - so every time I use it that I may not have originally planned for is effectively free as it was never a factor in the decision to spend the money. The fact that my cost per meal typically ends up such that it's far cheaper than eating out anywhere else and that it may even be a bit cheaper than packing a homemade lunch means that even if it's not free, it's still cheaper than any of my alternative options. A net gain for me either way!

2 hours ago, homestar92 said:

I used to do that "Hey Beardy, what are you doing for lunch?". Eh, probably Banshee, maybe Diamondback and some chicken?

17 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

This is why the food pass needs to go away or be more expensive. You are having poor quality of food that is not consistent in any way. You are trying to keep up with heavy demand and the facilities just can’t handle that many guest. We were able to leave the park eat at a nearby sit down  Restraunt and get back to the park with 70 minutes. We might have boughten food at the park a few times a year before the food plan spending maybe a total of $300 year. When we used to have the food pass we ate more times at the park and paid less money. I would think it would be like this for most families. Just my 2 cents 

I'm sorry I do not agree. I would not come to the park nearly as much as I do if I didn't have the dining plan. This is our only entertainment and we pay for it and not worry further along in the season. Yes food consistency is a problem but u would much rather deal with that than having to leave the park, always have money on me, not to mention I have to use handicap parking and would never get a spot back. This would be a huge issue for me not to have the plan.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

I'm sorry I do not agree. I would not come to the park nearly as much as I do if I didn't have the dining plan. This is our only entertainment and we pay for it and not worry further along in the season. Yes food consistency is a problem but u would much rather deal with that than having to leave the park, always have money on me, not to mention I have to use handicap parking and would never get a spot back. This would be a huge issue for me not to have the plan.

I see your point of view but I always prefer to pay for better quality/service. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 11:31 PM, chuck norris said:

Hanks has been burritos for the last couple of years... So if you mean chicken with lettuce wrapped up in a tortilla... Then yes, you could order that and call it a wrap... But they call it a burrito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't mean to say Hanks, just Chicken Shack

My bad

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:43 PM, homestar92 said:

Right, but the money is already spent and the cost does not change whether I use it more or I use it less - so every time I use it that I may not have originally planned for is effectively free as it was never a factor in the decision to spend the money. The fact that my cost per meal typically ends up such that it's far cheaper than eating out anywhere else and that it may even be a bit cheaper than packing a homemade lunch means that even if it's not free, it's still cheaper than any of my alternative options. A net gain for me either way!

In business that’s called a sunk cost. :D

On 5/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I see your point of view but I always prefer to pay for better quality/service. 

I’m with you, but honestly I feel pretty good about the food service this year. Of course there have been hiccups, but this year finally feels like they’re going in the right direction.

5 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

I didn't mean to say Hanks, just Chicken Shack

My bad

I miss the wraps at the Chicken Shack too. They disappeared after the first or second year of the dining plan. Unfortunately they take quite a while to make, which was likely the cause.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:17 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

I know another park tried that (I want to say Canada, but I’m not sure). Does anyone know if they still do this?

My fear would be that so many people have meal plans that it would be like everyone having Fast Lane, in which the normal line is much shorter than the Fastlane line. 

Yes, Canada's Wonderland still has an Express line for dining plans at select locations; I was there Sunday & Monday and used them.  Oddly, the park was absolutely slammed on Sunday, and hardly anyone was in the Express lines for dining plans.  We're talking probably 30+ minutes for the regular line, and less than 5 minutes for the dining plan line.  Either people were confused by the Express Dining Plan line and not using them, fewer guests have dining plans there, I just hit the right time, or the system was working...or a combo of those variables.  Regardless, it was awesome and felt like having Fast Lane for food.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the Impossible Burger yesterday at Brewhouse.

I will concede that it does not taste like fake meat, but it's definitely not anything close to what I would describe as GOOD meat. I was pretty jealous of the real burger that they guys at the table next to me got.

• 2 weeks later...