Ask a former KI guest service associate anything

KIngpin

2 hours ago, HandsUp said:

Yeah I figured it would be very hard to stick around in any of the main areas. Still a lot of shrubs/slightly wooded areas that I wondered if they swept or had infared.

I don't think there is much desire to spend time in an amusement park when it's closed, but it wouldn't be super difficult I would think.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:47 PM, Shaggy said:

Preach on! Preach on!  I tell everyone that was the hardest work, and most thankless job I have ever done.  Its soooooo much more than operating the attraction.  On Beast we worked our @$$ off all the time... and we did so in blazing hot temps.  Its been 20 years since I was on crew... but I have the bad back to proove I did it.

I'll give you an example of something I didnt expect when I signed on as a ride op at KI...  there was a season pass holder with a severe mental and physical handicap restriction.  However, his favorite ride was Beast... so he'd come often.  Because of his affliction, crew members had to secure a special seat in a train, then hold trains while we lifted him from his wheelchair into the ride.  We then had a special harness that strapped around his chest and belted into clasps on the back of the car.  Once he was secure, we'd load the train, secure lap bars - do a final check of his restraint and send him (the train) on his way.  We'd allow him 2, maybe 3 consecutive rides - all the time pacifying the folks waiting for that seat.  When his "turns" were done, we'd unstrap him and lift him out and back into his wheelchair.

The first time I came upon this experience I was completely taken aback.  But we got it down to a science and after a while we got to know him.  Frankly, I reached the point where I looked forward to him coming - because what I saw was pure joy.  He LOVED riding The Beast... and seeing him get so excited and having fun is one of my best memories. Oh, and guess what... the guests actually often loved watching it and would compliment and thank us for helping him.  It really restored my faith in humanity... a little bit ;-)

He was still going there as of 04-08 and I know exactly who you're talking about. I'll randomly think about him and his brother and hope they are doing well.

• Like 1