Looks like opening day may be a washout :(

Thabto

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USOH0566:1:US

I'm driving in from Northeast Ohio for opening day. I saw earlier this week there was some rain in the forecast, I kept thinking it will probably change, and it has, for the worse. It keeps getting colder and wetter. I'm debating whether I should cancel my trip this weekend. I have until 24 hours before check-in to cancel my hotel reservation. But I took the risk last year and it barely rained and it was one of the best days to be at the park. Everything was walk-on. I just hope it improves or doesn't get as bad as they say. It's saying an inch of rain is possible. I'm also planning on going to the preview which looks a little better. But it's looking like a chilly and wet weekend. 

Morning weather models are showing temps on Saturday in the low 40s and more rain showers.

Friday afternoon/evening may be the only break in the weather at this point, but it certainly won’t be warm.

If it looks like mostly a washout, then it’s the perfect time to go... if you’re local.

We should also wait and see with how the storm may hit.  A lot of the local stations are saying scattered showers for Saturday, and sometimes, Kings Mills is on the outskirts of those systems due to the way storms develop and ride along the Ohio River valley (the Ohio River is a HUGE factor in how weather tracks around here, kind of a reason why Cincinnati weather is so weird).  Kings Island might get lucky.  

Or KI could get directly hit, too.  I'll wait till Friday's models come out to judge how Saturday will be.  Friday looks to be less wet than Saturday (they're calling Friday's rain to come earlier in the day).   

Also, on the rain on Good Friday spiel- it didn't rain when KI opened on Good Friday in 2014 either.  

On the bright side, this is probably gonna drive a lot of people away (so much for the massive preview night and opening day crowds if true), and unless it rains super hard or there are thunderstorms all day, I'm sure at least some rides will remain open (though probably with fewer trains than normal).

On 4/17/2019 at 9:52 AM, chad_1138 said:

Except Good Friday 2017, which was preview night when MT opened....

Actually now that I think about it, your right. I waited 3 1/2 hours to get my ride, front row at exactly 11:58 got back at 12:01. Does that make me the first rider of opening day??!?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Rain rides on Racer, Beast and Mystic Timbers are always a good thing, too.  

I have actually never ridden any of the coasters at Kings Island in the rain in spite of 19 total visits since 2000. Even if it was a rainy day, when I got on anything it stayed dry, oddly. I have ridden Delirium and Drop Tower in the rain though, and would like to ride the woodies in particular since I expect they would be running fast due to the wet track.

51 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

I have actually never ridden any of the coasters at Kings Island in the rain in spite of 19 total visits since 2000. Even if it was a rainy day, when I got on anything it stayed dry, oddly. I have ridden Delirium and Drop Tower in the rain though, and would like to ride the woodies in particular since I expect they would be running fast due to the wet track.

Well, maybe not during rain (being hit with water bullets at upwards of 50 mph is not fun to me), but wet wooden coaster tracks make for smoother and seemingly faster rides. Even fairly bad wooden coasters can vastly improve with a bit of H2O.  As malem pointed out, the later part of Saturday looks ideal.   

Except Son of Beast.  Speaking from experience. 

Also, beware of Bat when it rains. :ph34r:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

Well, maybe not during rain (being hit with water bullets at upwards of 50 mph is not fun to me), but wet wooden coaster tracks make for smoother and seemingly faster rides. Even fairly bad wooden coasters can vastly improve with a bit of H2O.  As malem pointed out, the later part of Saturday looks ideal.   

Except Son of Beast.  Speaking from experience. 

Also, beware of Bat when it rains. :ph34r:

For the love of god BEWARE OF The Bat WHEN ITS RAINING, THIS PERSON SPEAKS THE TRUTH. It’s also in your best interest  to avoid the Front two rows of Diamondback in the rain, that stuff hurts.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, silver2005 said:

We should also wait and see with how the storm may hit.  A lot of the local stations are saying scattered showers for Saturday, and sometimes, Kings Mills is on the outskirts of those systems due to the way storms develop and ride along the Ohio River valley (the Ohio River is a HUGE factor in how weather tracks around here, kind of a reason why Cincinnati weather is so weird).  Kings Island might get lucky.  

Or KI could get directly hit, too.  I'll wait till Friday's models come out to judge how Saturday will be.  Friday looks to be less wet than Saturday (they're calling Friday's rain to come earlier in the day).   

Also, on the rain on Good Friday spiel- it didn't rain when KI opened on Good Friday in 2014 either.  

I've studied weather for 15 years.  The Ohio River does not have any influence on how weather systems track.  It has more to with troughs and influences by ridging.  I do agree with one thing you said though,  wait till Friday to make a decision about Saturday.....and in many regards wait till Saturday to make a decision about Saturday.  B)

2 hours ago, McSalsa said:

My mom and I had just lowered the restraints and buckled our selves in on Drop Tower one year and a "monsoon" came along.  It was a very interesting ride to say the least.  

• Like 3