Decoding 2020

fryoj

11 hours ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I would really hate if they used any of Firehawks old queue/entrance. I just don't see why anyone would do that. 

Not putting your feelings down at all FYI...Just as a company I don't see any pros for doing that. Most likely there isn't a specific reason it is still there.

Unless they tie Firehawk to the new coaster and also use the old track and train for the theme then it would make some sense...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Zayzayd13 said:
If this indeed is a giga (and I’m 99.999% sure that it is), what are us poor, Kings Island fanatics going to beg for next? Once it’s here, it’s here. Just looking towards the future.

How about using up some vacant buildings like the old TR:TR or Days of Thunder.... I’d really like to see those put to use whether it be dark rides or whatever. I’d also like to see the Amphitheater brought back to its glory and used more than 2-3 times a year.... I was fortunate enough to see some Big name acts at the venue.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Or a Vortex replacement 

As sad as this would be, I could see many things going into the spot we’re Vortex currently is. I could see A Dive by B&M or maybe a compact floorless, also by B&M. I could also see an RMC Raptor going their as well.

• Like 2

Heres to another year of decoding.... whilst I may not be decoding (due to well working at the park lol) just know I am decoding in spirit with you all!  Make the prior threads of Decoding Episode II and Decoding Episode I proud! 
Here are the prior threads for anybody curious for Mystic Timbers and Banshee!
Decoding Episode I: Starting to Decode 2014

[/url] Decoding Episode II: Rivertown 2017 and the Falling Trees

Have fun!
-stashua123

I was wondering where you were at!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That may be true, but it still interests me on why they kept the old queue. 

Perhaps it will be this year's new Haunt maze. "Line of Screams." 

7 hours ago, Yippee Skippee said:

I think the answer is pretty obvious. It's teacups. 

Or better yet, Keggers or Cauldrons! :D 

• Haha 1

I'm not so convinced that those storage sheds are going to need to be replaced. A lift and drop can fit over it, and a return trip likely would turn further north to only have to go over the road. There is a wider amount of clearing right there anyway. (Where the fire-dinosaur used to be.

• Like 4

It could be entirely possible that the track could cross over those buildings, whether at a much higher height or barely just above the roofs. 

Pictured below is a screen grab from the POV of Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland and how it interacts with buildings previously in place along the course.

leviathan.png

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kenban said:

Fred Grubb was at Kings Island to meet with Greg Scheid, you can even see him in the original photo.  Scheid at the time was the regional Vice President of Cedar Fair above both Cedar Point and Kings Dominion, which at the time the photo was taken had both recently opened new RMC coasters.  Scheid had his office at Kings Island which is why the meeting happened at KI, if his office had been at another park in the chain, the photo in question would have never happened.

It would be extremely strange for this kind of meeting to be primarily about some hypothetical coaster that would not be built for several years and even if it was, there is zero need to have the meeting at the park where the coaster will be built.  It’s fine to speculate that RMC might build some coaster in the future, but the photo is not evidence of anything.

I asked Alan Schilke last year at IAAPA if that was him. I was told it was not. 

In fact, he said it was insulting to Mr. Grubb that people thought that was him, as the gentleman in those photos was a bit older than he is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I didnt realize Greg Scheid was no longer with Cedar Fair  - online it says he "retired."  Did he indeed retire, or was he retired?  Just curious since apparently he now does "outside consulting."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I didnt realize Greg Scheid was no longer with Cedar Fair  - online it says he "retired."  Did he indeed retire, or was he retired?  Just curious since apparently he now does "outside consulting."

I think he retired....I have since seen him at the park and have seen via his LinkeIn, that he started the consulting services. So maybe not retired for long :)

8 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

This is the most that I know.

I think they could still keep the majority of the maintenance buildings.  I do hope they open the area up so there are two ways into the new coaster. It is possible they do like they did over by The Bat and just build a tunnel to walk under so the maintenance workers could still get to the area.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I asked Alan Schilke last year at IAAPA if that was him. I was told it was not. 

In fact, he said it was insulting to Mr. Grubb that people thought that was him, as the gentleman in those photos was a bit older than he is. 

I will admit, I assumed the people speculating it was Fred Grubb were correct, I have had the pleasure of meeting him twice and it looks enough like him that I could believe it was.

I was always more bothered by the crazy speculation surrounding a possible visit to the park.  Because if you are familiar with the processes surrounding new attractions, I cannot think of a single reason why he would be visiting a park like what people were assuming was occurring.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Met with him in February, he is retired. He started working at Cedar Point in the 1970’s.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, Turtlepower said:

This better be for a wing or a dive coaster.

Wing coaster might be excluded from the list since the land is further expanding from Firehawk to Dinosaurs Alive area. Watch the video that was uploaded to OVC few days ago.

5 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Or a Vortex replacement 

Would Vortex get replaced if Arrow coasters are very well operated?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

^Oh the memories of convincing people who the manufacturer was for the 2014 decoding. Gotta love the arguments and debates that escalated sometimes. emoji849.pngemoji38.png

Or the ones who were arguing it was a giga when there were clearly the double row of footers of an invert. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, redicmc said:

Would Vortex get replaced if Arrow coasters are very well operated?

Vortex is unlikely to get removed until you start to see it have frequent mechanical issues.  Parts are pretty readily available and despite it's short line times, is one of the most ridden rides in the park.

I do wish they would replace the trains with the new Vekoma trains though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Vortex is iconic but anyone over 6’ tall it’s just flat uncomfortable.  Agree they need new restraints.  I haven’t ridden it in years due to the fact it’s hard for me to fit into the cars and add on that over the shoulder restraint and it’s painful.  Granted I essentially sit sideways in The Beast cars due to my height and build.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FirefighterENG44 said:

I’d be thrilled with an RMC beast.  But then again we all know that won’t ever happen.  I’m just not sure how much more of a beating they coaster can take after 40 years...I’m only 36 and feel like my body sometimes is that of a 70 yr old ha

I would kill for an RMC Beast. Maybe I’d actually ride it more than once/zero times per visit if they did that.

I realize it will likely never happen but can you imagine barrel rolling through the woods instead of the wooden monorail we have currently? Hoo boy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

I would kill for an RMC Beast. Maybe I’d actually ride it more than once/zero times per visit if they did that.

I realize it will likely never happen but can you imagine barrel rolling through the woods instead of the wooden monorail we have currently? Hoo boy.

I hear ya!  I mean the double helix is amazing but add in some smoothness and more twists and turns along with some barrel roles and that would make The Beast catapult back up to one of the best.  I’ll always ride it even though I need a chiropractor adjustment afterwards.  We all know how iconic the night rides are but RMC’ing it would make it a must ride

Does anyone have insight as to why they're choosing to run this so close to The Beast? I know the land toward the river it isn't flat like the stretch of land they're clearing, but they have so much land back that way - they could absolutely use that terrain, right? Running parallel to The Racer is giving me a bit of the 'goliath-over-colossus' effect which is a bummer since Racer's silhouette is so charming (notwithstanding the huge box behind the lift hill), and, even with a cushion of trees they've left, this massively risks imposing on The Beast's seculsion. Just wondering if the topography is more limiting than I would have guessed, because I can't think of any other reason they'd choose this path. Also, I'm getting picky here, but I hope the Diamondback and Giga lift hills are not oriented the same way. If the station ends up going where Firehawk was and the lift heads toward this new clearing, they'll be nearly parallel. I'm thrilled we're getting the ride, don't get me wrong, I'm just thinking of what effect this massive structure will have on the skyline. No matter what, it's fun to watch this unfold! Thanks for all the intel.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Does anyone have insight as to why they're choosing to run this so close to The Beast? I know the land toward the river it isn't flat like the stretch of land they're clearing, but they have so much land back that way - they could absolutely use that terrain, right? Running parallel to The Racer is giving me a bit of the 'goliath-over-colossus' effect which is a bummer since Racer's silhouette is so charming (notwithstanding the huge box behind the lift hill), and, even with a cushion of trees they've left, this massively risks imposing on The Beast's seculsion. Just wondering if the topography is more limiting than I would have guessed, because I can't think of any other reason they'd choose this path. Also, I'm getting picky here, but I hope the Diamondback and Giga lift hills are not oriented the same way. If the station ends up going where Firehawk was and the lift heads toward this new clearing, they'll be nearly parallel. I'm thrilled we're getting the ride, don't get me wrong, I'm just thinking of what effect this massive structure will have on the skyline. No matter what, it's fun to watch this unfold! Thanks for all the intel.

It curious to see the current clearing footprint so close to The Beast, but I’m going to put my understanding of this to the engineers, and Cedar Fair knowing exactly what needs to be done to make a world class ride.

• Like 1

I too had this thought about the orientation of an overall lift hill. I think it'd be better to not have it parallel to the 2nd tallest coaster in the park; more importantly.. I'd love to be able to get some pics of people going down the first drop from the Eiffel Tower :p. But ultimately, if it's a new giga I wouldn't be that upset about it.

It is more concerning about Beast's seclusion, but as long as there's still a string of trees, I don't think I'd complain too much considering the huge investment we are fortunate to get anyway.

I'm most concerned about the fireworks. I had the what-if thought of that area being having a tunnel to allow them to keep it running haha. (it's only a 20 min closure) That'd be a long tunnel. But, honestly, I would love a tunnel on this coaster. Along with coasters with a steep/ vertical drop, tunnels are something that KI coasters could have more of if I were the only demographic. (which I am not obviously)

Overall, Im stoked to be getting a new coaster that looks to be a type we've long been wishing for. Even if it's different, it still definitely seems like a coaster for the adults.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Does anyone have insight as to why they're choosing to run this so close to The Beast? 

I don’t think that will be an issue. The segment that gets close to The Beast is where the brake shed is. You won’t be able to see it. Also remember how tall the trees are around the track nowadays.

• Like 1

^Dorney pulled it off pretty well slapping Steel Force next to Thunderhawk.  I think aesthetically it'll be alright.  That area of Dorney is probably my favorite section in the park.

I'm not that bothered by it being close to Beast either.  Its going to be a quieter B&M like Banshee and Diamondback and riding on Beast is pretty racketey in terms of noise on its own.  

• Like 6

• malem locked this topic