Decoding 2020

fryoj

1 minute ago, Ben43065 said:

What? Kings Island has plenty of good coasters 4 of which I’d argue would be in CP’S top 8. But honesty who cares? Kings Island already has a great collection, the notion that Kings Islands line up is severely lacking a major roller coaster is complete nonsense. I’d rather take Kings Islands atmosphere over Cedar Points coaster line up any day. 

I see kind of see your point, but were talking about world class rides not park atmosphere.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2019 at 9:00 PM, Ben43065 said:

What? Kings Island has plenty of good coasters 4 of which I’d argue would be in CP’S top 8. But honesty who cares? Kings Island already has a great collection, the notion that Kings Islands line up is severely lacking a major roller coaster is complete nonsense. I’d rather take Kings Islands atmosphere over Cedar Points coaster line up any day. 

I agree we have a great collection, I don't understand how people don't see that.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:02 PM, DonkeyKong said:

I see kind of see your point, but were talking about world class rides not park atmosphere.

So the longest wooden coaster, longest invert, one of the first majorly themed launch coasters, one of the arguable best hypers, and our GCI that many say is the best aren't world class? I'm curious what is then?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, KIGiga2019 said:

Agree 100%.  KI was once a park that did firsts/records.  There are 4 CF parks with Gigas.  Other than Banshee and DB KI has nothing that would be in the top 8 at CP.

I disagree with this, and this is coming from somebody who would rather go to CP than KI. I'd probably put DB and MT just outside my top five if they were at CP. I'm not a big invert guy so I could take or leave Banshee and Raptor. 

10 minutes ago, fryoj said:

If The Beast was at CP it would be considered a top 10 ride. 

I have to disagree with this as well. Maybe based on legacy, but the actual ride experience is underwhelming to me. A night ride is really cool, but the last time I rode it during the day, I was kinda bored to be honest. I'm not trying to slam The Beast, just sharing my personal opinion. How much would The Beast experience be diminished if it was at CP rather than running through the woods at KI?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

to each his own of course. i think the only rides at KI that wow me are The Beast and Mystic Timbers. Banshee IMO is a string of cookie cutter inversions with not much variety. and the ride doesn't snap through the inversions which i like on other inverts. Dimaondback is fine but after the turnaround i feel the ride is pretty much over from that point other than the splashdown being a unique element. i got a chance to ride nitro a couple weeks ago and it amazes me how much better a B&M hyper can be when its not just floater airtime hill after floater airtime hill over and over again. Like i said mystic was a step in the right direction but like i said.. to each his own. if you enjoy these the top 4 at the park then keep enjoying it. i still think KI needs something with some intensity and i hope that this new giga will provide that.

• Like 3

Stuff like this is what makes the speculation on these decoding threads so much fun. I was predicting/hoping for outer space theme so this makes me happy if true. The last 2 numbers are definitely 55, but hard to see first number. Even the coffee pot handle kind of resembles a 3 shape. Or am I stretching a little bit here? lol

KI.jpg

• Like 5

There's a lot of nuance in this discussion that some you guys are really ignorant of.

1. This whole argument that somehow, Kings Island isn't 'on the map' and needs to be put on it has been thoroughly lambasted and debunked tons on this site, why some of you choose to still die on that hill is beyond me.

2. What 'firsts' are there really to do with a giga?  Back in the 80's, the coasters that pulled off the 'firsts' were easier to come by.  If you go through the history of roller coasters, steel coasters didn't really start becoming a thing until the 60's, and then adding inversions (only loops and corkscrews) in the 70's, which Arrow, Scwarzkopf and eventually Togo were the spearhead of. The 80's was when the diversity of types that you can only accomplish with a steel coaster came into fruition, which was supercharged in the 90's with what B&M and eventually Intamin and Premier would bringing to the table in that period.  

Now a days, we're closer to the of a plateau of what coasters have reached so coming up with the 'first' for something has to be something pretty creative.  Giga's have been done before (there are 5 of them currently from 3 different designers) and aside from adding a few new elements or padding the stats, you can't really do much with a giga that would have the impact that Millennium Force had back in 2000, and even those few minute changes won't come close to what Millennium Force accomplished.   We're not going to see anything like we saw in the 80s and 90s happen again in the industry.

3. Also consider where Kings Island stood in the food chain between the Paramount era and the Cedar Fair era.  Paramount only had 5 parks and had the backing of a huge multimedia company for finances.  Now, they're in a chain of 11 parks with some pretty big hitters such as Knott's and Cedar Point added to the mix where CF has to rotate their spending to accommodate all their parks in a way that has the best outcome in the ROI. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

There's a lot of nuance in this discussion that some you guys are really ignorant of.

1. This whole argument that somehow, Kings Island isn't 'on the map' and needs to be put on it has been thoroughly lambasted and debunked tons on this site, why some of you choose to still die on that hill is beyond me.

2. What 'firsts' are there really to do with a giga?  Back in the 80's, the coasters that pulled off the 'firsts' were easier to come by.  If you go through the history of roller coasters, steel coasters didn't really start becoming a thing until the 60's, and then adding inversions (only loops and corkscrews) in the 70's, which Arrow, Scwarzkopf and eventually Togo were the spearhead of. The 80's was when the diversity of types that you can only accomplish with a steel coaster came into fruition, which was supercharged in the 90's with what B&M and eventually Intamin and Premier would bringing to the table in that period.  

Now a days, we're closer to the of a plateau of what coasters have reached so coming up with the 'first' for something has to be something pretty creative.  Giga's have been done before (there are 5 of them currently from 3 different designers) and aside from adding a few new elements or padding the stats, you can't really do much with a giga that would have the impact that Millennium Force had back in 2000, and even those few minute changes won't come close to what Millennium Force accomplished.   We're not going to see anything like we saw in the 80s and 90s happen again in the industry.

3. Also consider where Kings Island stood in the food chain between the Paramount era and the Cedar Fair era.  Paramount only had 5 parks and had the backing of a huge multimedia company for finances.  Now, they're in a chain of 11 parks with some pretty big hitters such as Knott's and Cedar Point added to the mix where CF has to rotate their spending to accommodate all their parks in a way that has the best outcome in the ROI. 

wow its almost like people have differing opinions or something like that. who would have thought!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

According to you what is there even to discuss then? The name and color scheme?

• Like 1

@New Horizons @DonkeyKong So I can't rebut opinions with facts and my own opinions?  That's a huge gaslighting argument. Do you not have your own opinions that can back up  your claims and rebut mine?  If you're going to get involved in a discussion like this, you ought to be prepared to defend your positions.  Claiming I'm somehow preventing you from responding is disingenuous and putting words in my mouth.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

to each his own of course. i think the only rides at KI that wow me are The Beast and Mystic Timbers. Banshee IMO is a string of cookie cutter inversions with not much variety. and the ride doesn't snap through the inversions which i like on other inverts. Dimaondback is fine but after the turnaround i feel the ride is pretty much over from that point other than the splashdown being a unique element. i got a chance to ride nitro a couple weeks ago and it amazes me how much better a B&M hyper can be when its not just floater airtime hill after floater airtime hill over and over again. Like i said mystic was a step in the right direction but like i said.. to each his own. if you enjoy these the top 4 at the park then keep enjoying it. i still think KI needs something with some intensity and i hope that this new giga will provide that.

I love Ki but agree . I love DB, but your right, it's over at the turn around. Banshee is just okay to me... we need a Giga and a couple more flats. I drop about 2500$ a year on 3 passes, if nothing new next year, will have to save my money till there is

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

@New Horizons @DonkeyKong So I can't rebut opinions with facts and my own opinions?  That's a huge gaslighting argument. Do you not have your own opinions that can back up  your claims and rebut mine?

you certainly can. but it just boils down to people just have different tastes and different opinions. nobody is right or wrong. plus this is a decoding thread so im not interested in having a full on debate about KI. Another time maybe?

• Like 3

You can help getting around the opinion debate with aggregation. Golden Ticket Awards 2018 puts Beast at #5 and Mystic at #11 in wooden coasters and Diamondback #10 and Banshee #29 in steel coasters. Worldwide those aren't bad rankings.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

^You made the claim that KI somehow 'wasn't on the map' without providing any proof of that claim. 

i didnt claim it as a fact. just stated my opinion and i dont have to give you a full essay on why i think that KI still isnt on the map on a decoding thread. its off topic. i wont discuss this any further. happy decoding!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LuvingKI said:

I'd be happy with a TTD if not a giga.

I'd be happier with TTD. 

6 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

I drop about 2500$ a year on 3 passes, if nothing new next year, will have to save my money till there is

Typo?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

@New Horizons @DonkeyKong So I can't rebut opinions with facts and my own opinions?  That's a huge gaslighting argument. Do you not have your own opinions that can back up  your claims and rebut mine?  If you're going to get involved in a discussion like this, you ought to be prepared to defend your positions.  Claiming I'm somehow preventing you from responding is disingenuous and putting words in my mouth.

I actually did at sources to what I stated, however you claimed that everything I stated didn't fit your narrative therefore we need to move on from it. I freely grant you I may not present the greatest argument but its my opinion, and I ask you again according to your criteria what should we be discussing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fryoj said:

I'd be happier with TTD. 

Typo?

No, I don't think so? 120 a pass I believe.. 120 dining plan, 30 drink and 550 fastlane x 3 2460 and one funpx I think 50$ so yeah 2500. I didn't renew in time for the savings.. unfortunately.. 

And you'd be happier with a TTD. I think I may as well..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

No, I don't think so? 120 a pass I believe.. 120 dining plan, 30 drink and 550 fastlane x 3 2460 and one funpx I think 50$ so yeah 2500. I didn't renew in time for the savings.. unfortunately.. 

And you'd be happier with a TTD. I think I may as well..

Yeah, For $1650 I'd wait in line. lol 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, DonkeyKong said:

I actually did at sources to what I stated, however you claimed that everything I stated didn't fit your narrative therefore we need to move on from it. I freely grant you I may not present the greatest argument but its my opinion, and I ask you again according to your criteria what should we be discussing?

And I made my point with adding my info about KI's history and the history of the industry in general.   Kings Island is in a healthy position from a business standpoint, which means they're 'on the map' despite the lack of what you think are record breaking rides and rides that are the first to do something.  Amusement parks aren't successful entirely by building roller coasters.  One flashy giga won't change that.  The people claiming that KI 'isnt on the map' are suggesting, whether on purpose or not, that KI's business model hinges on this one ride being built for 2020.  Saying and defending the notion that KI isn't on the map proves that point (this last sentence was edited in).

That kind of claim is going to get backlash and will have people that don't agree (including yours truly).  Like if you want to discuss it, by all means do so, but don't think your ideas aren't going to meet resistance.  And yes, I, and I imagine many others, will continue to have the opinion that the notion of Kings Island not being 'on the map' is ludicrous. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

And I made my point with adding my info about KI's history and the history of the industry in general.   Kings Island is in a healthy position from a business standpoint, which means they're 'on the map' despite the lack of what you think are record breaking rides and rides that are the first to do something.  Amusement parks aren't successful entirely by building roller coasters.  One flashy giga won't change that.  The people claiming that KI 'isnt on the map' are suggesting, whether on purpose or not, that KI's business model hinges on this one ride being built for 2020. 

That kind of claim is going to get backlash and will have people that don't agree (including yours truly).  Like if you want to discuss it, by all means do so, but don't think your ideas aren't going to meet resistance.  And yes, I, and I imagine many others, will continue to have the opinion that the notion of Kings Island not being 'on the map' is ludicrous. 

you are absolutely putting words in our mouths. nobody here has said that KI as a business hinges on this giga. nobody here is claiming that KI isnt successful. we are just stating that KI could use some seriously world class rides. what you define as world class is going to be different than others. nobody is claiming their opinion as a fact. you should loosen up a bit and just enjoy the discussion. i think you are getting a bit to invested in this conversation

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, presto123 said:

Who considers Holiday World "on the map"?

I absolutely would. They get solid numbers. Have a few great coasters and several record water rides. Not to mention the reaction when you tell people soda is always never gets old 

• Like 1

• malem locked this topic