Decoding 2020

fryoj

Personally I do think King’s Island is on “the map”. We do have a great coaster lineup and we are lucky that CF has continued to invest in us.

However, I do think we are missing a signature blockbuster coaster. A true “flagship” ride. That was SOB but we all know that story. What ride can you name that makes us unique and a must go destination outside of the other parks. Sure Beast is a great ride, but it’s also 40 years old at this point and is not a coaster that would give you the “I have to ride that” feeling. The other recent additions are great but can also be found at other parks.

A record breaking Giga coaster would bring in people from not only in this region, but from around the country and the world. It would be a huge bump in our status in the country not only as having a great lineup but possibly one of, if not the best. We would instantly become a must go to park for the next 5 years plus.

• Like 8

The Racer revitalized the coaster industry and proved you could build a large wooden roller coaster in a modern theme park.

The Beast was the tallest, longest, and fastest roller coaster in the world in 1979 and still is the longest wooden coaster in the world.

The Bat was the world's first suspended roller coaster.

King Cobra was the first coaster built from the ground-up as a stand-up roller coaster.

Vortex was the first the first roller coaster to do six inversions.  

Flight of Fear was the world's first LIM-launched coaster.

Son of Beast was the world's tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster.

Diamondback is still widely acclaimed and extremely popular.

Banshee is the world's longest inverted coaster.

Mystic Timbers was ranked as the Best New Ride of 2017 by the Golden Ticket Awards and is often regarded as one of GCI's very best.

And that is just roller coasters!

I would like a giga. However, claiming that Kings Island is not on the map is one of the most preposterous statements I have ever read on this site. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, presto123 said:

Just wondering because I have seen lists where Holiday World is ahead of Kings Island. I live in Indiana and have never been there:) Still can't believe I would like it better than KI.

I've been a couple times last few years. IMO Kings Island KINGS  over it tremendously. but again that's IMO

• Like 1

Just now, KIghostguy said:

The Racer revitalized the coaster industry and proved you could build a large wooden roller coaster in a modern theme park.

The Beast was the tallest, longest, and fastest roller coaster in the world in 1979 and still is the longest wooden coaster in the world.

The Bat was the world's first suspended roller coaster.

King Cobra was the first coaster built from the ground-up as a stand-up roller coaster.

Vortex was the first the first roller coaster to do six inversions.  

Flight of Fear was the world's first LIM-launched coaster.

Son of Beast was the world's tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster.

Diamondback is still widely acclaimed and extremely popular.

Banshee is the world's longest inverted coaster.

Mystic Timbers was ranked as the Best New Ride of 2017 by the Golden Ticket Awards and is often regarded as one of GCI's very best.

And that is just roller coasters!

I would like a giga. However, claiming that Kings Island is not on the map is one of the most preposterous statements I have ever read on this site. 

I'm not setting out to be argumentative but even your own post lists the majority of the achievements as "was" I think that means we are now behind. KI made world class coasters then, why shouldn't we at least want this one to be a world class record breaker? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DonkeyKong said:

I'm not setting out to be argumentative but even your own post lists the majority of the achievements as "was" I think that means we are now behind. KI made world class coasters then, why shouldn't we at least want this one to be a world class record breaker? 

Diamondback, Banshee and Mystic Timbers are all world class rides. I would argue our Top 4 is unparalleled by nearly any other park in the United States.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

And I made my point with adding my info about KI's history and the history of the industry in general.   Kings Island is in a healthy position from a business standpoint, which means they're 'on the map' despite the lack of what you think are record breaking rides and rides that are the first to do something.  Amusement parks aren't successful entirely by building roller coasters.  One flashy giga won't change that.  The people claiming that KI 'isnt on the map' are suggesting, whether on purpose or not, that KI's business model hinges on this one ride being built for 2020.  Saying and defending the notion that KI isn't on the map proves that point (this last sentence was edited in).

That kind of claim is going to get backlash and will have people that don't agree (including yours truly).  Like if you want to discuss it, by all means do so, but don't think your ideas aren't going to meet resistance.  And yes, I, and I imagine many others, will continue to have the opinion that the notion of Kings Island not being 'on the map' is ludicrous. 

Ok we are all on the same team here. I 100% agree with you that Kings Island is "on the map" and I also agree with you that the success of the park doesn't depend on a 2020 Giga. As a flagship park though we need/deserve a world class coaster, which is something most enthusiast outside of this site believe KI doesn't possess. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyKong said:

Ok we are all on the same team here. I 100% agree with you that Kings Island is "on the map" and I also agree with you that the success of the park doesn't depend on a 2020 Giga. As a flagship park though we need/deserve a world class coaster, which is something most enthusiast outside of this site believe KI doesn't possess. 

I'd be on board with that, but I'm not going to be disappointed if its not.  Its still a giga coaster after all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Diamondback, Banshee and Mystic Timbers are all world class rides. I would argue our Top 4 is unparalleled by nearly any other park in the United States.  

If you want to argue by personal preference alone you would be right, but if you want to take into account the majority of the community outside of KI then you'd see a different opinion. I would not trade those coasters, but we have to be realistic, no everything we have is the best. 

• Like 2

Let’s all agree KI is on the map. It is by attendance alone. I also certainly don’t see anyone arguing that this new coaster shouldn’t break any records.

To sum it up we all want a new world record breaking coaster. We’re on the same team here peeps!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Let’s all agree KI is on the map. It is by attendance alone. I also certainly don’t see anyone arguing that this new coaster shouldn’t break any records.

To sum it up we all want a new world record breaking coaster. We’re on the same team here peeps!

Sorry dad lol. You're right though!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Not sure. The red points are the original 4 I saw, then yesterday I saw one where the yellow point is. It was strange that the 4 were arranged like that. Could be DB maintenance. Who knows. 

markers.jpg

Markers for where to park cherry picker when inspecting track 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

World's biggest meltdown when it's 324 ft tall

• Like 5

@ohiocoasterfan Hey, it's free there. Have all the tasty beverages you want! :P

2 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Take Kings Island, Cedar Point and all the Disney Parks out of the equation for a minute. What is your top go to Amusement Park in America?

Um, Wally World, of course! :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, presto123 said:

Take Kings Island, Cedar Point and all the Disney Parks out of the equation for a minute. What is your top go to Amusement Park in America?

Universal Orlando. 

But thats the same if you don't take out the other parks. 

• Like 1

• malem locked this topic