Decoding 2020

fryoj

3 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Fury fits into .46 of a mile. You have to remember it’s an out and back coaster so you have to double the length. 1 mile of land would give you over 2 miles of track.

Thats a 1 mile perimeter, not straight line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope it’ll be green.

DB, wanting a lime green B&M at KI since ‘14 (but hey Banshees colors are great and I’m sure whatever colors they choose will fit with everything)

On a side note, if they choose black for the main color, I feel like it could look really cool and intimidating. Imagine driving by on 71 and just seeing a giant black structure standing at the back of the park. Even at night it could look amazing if they had a great light package.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok guys, so let's gather our thoughts here.

Those of you with more experience, what do you think is the most likely type of attraction at this point given only what information we have now? Would you say a Giga still seems fairly likely? Or are we looking at something else at this point?

We know that CF has trademarked Orion and Polaris. What do we think the chances are this is related to this ride? At what point did people figure out the name Banshee and Mystic Timbers?

Does anyone think there's a possibility that no new coaster is coming? And all of this is related to something else, or something that could be coming further down the line like 2021? I'm definitely not saying that's my opinion, just wondering what you guys think the odds are of that being the case based on previous attractions being built.

• Like 4

The only things we know for a fact now are 

• The rough size of the clearing, with my aerial pictures and in-park pictures. 
  • That B&M is indeed working with CF and KI on a project between 2017, and 2020. 

Anything past that is still speculation. 

Edited by sixohdieselrage
Typo on dates.
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Ok guys, so let's gather our thoughts here.

Those of you with more experience, what do you think is the most likely type of attraction at this point given only what information we have now? Would you say a Giga still seems fairly likely? Or are we looking at something else at this point?

We know that CF has trademarked Orion and Polaris. What do we think the chances are this is related to this ride? At what point did people figure out the name Banshee and Mystic Timbers?

Does anyone think there's a possibility that no new coaster is coming? And all of this is related to something else, or something that could be coming further down the line like 2021? I'm definitely not saying that's my opinion, just wondering what you guys think the odds are of that being the case based on previous attractions being built.

1. There’s so many things that have been stated that give a giga coaster almost complete certainty in my opinion at this point, I’ll list a few - Mike’s Statements, Notice of commencement, the giga track, the land clearing & Cedar Fairs trends / History. I say the final nail in the coffin will be 1 of two things, if the clearing grows any more or a backbone footer is poured.

2.The names certainly do seem like a logical and reasonable fit for X-Base, and since at the moment only Kings Island has major land clearings I’d say one of those names is bound for Kings Island 

3. A new coaster / major addition is almost certainly coming in the near future  (The land clearing and the notice of commencement practically confirm it) the only debate is when it’ll be built but once again the Notice of commencement suggest that the attraction should start to take shape in 2019 and be finished in 2020.

Of course this could all change at any given moment but at this point it looks like Kings Island will receive a Bolliger & Mabillard giga coaster that would be set to open in 2020.

• Like 6

I'm definitely leaning toward giga just due to the amount of land already cleared.  I think for a park that gets the attendance of KI that a people mover like a giga would be great for the park.  It would also be a great fit for that area of the park as well.

Given the fact that the dive and wing coasters at CP are still newish it wouldn't make sense to add one of them to KI at the current time.  A flyer would not be a great fit because of capacity concerns.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

The only things we know for a fact now are 

• The rough size of the clearing, with my aerial pictures and in-park pictures. 
  • That B&M is indeed working with CF and KI on a project between 2017, and 2019. 

Anything past that is still speculation. 

Yes B&M is working with CF but you also have to take into consideration how long they have had these plans for, Yukon Striker (dive coaster 2019) plans for Canada's Wonderland was bought I think around 2015, but was then put on hold to create Valravn (dive coaster) which is at Cedar Point and opened in 2016. So there is numerous things that this could be as well as I hope we do not get put on hold for another park to get something else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeker441 said:

Yes B&M is working with CF but you also have to take into consideration how long they have had these plans for, Yukon Striker (dive coaster 2019) plans for Canada's Wonderland was bought I think around 2015, but was then put on hold to create Valravn (dive coaster) which is at Cedar Point and opened in 2016. So there is numerous things that this could be as well as I hope we do not get put on hold for another park to get something else.

I seriously doubt this project will get put on hold. Primarily because of the Notice of Commencement, and because of the massive clearing that has started. 

• Like 5

^ While that would be a very welcomed addition by many, Kings Island just installed a wooden coaster for the 2017 season with Mystic Timbers. 

The commencement documents also list B&M as a contractor, which most of us are assuming is for the 2020 project. 

• Like 5

And another problem, Cedar Fair doesn't work with Intamin anymore. And after Volcano's closure, it sure looks like they won't work with them anytime soon. An RMC topper track woodie on the other hand would work pretty well at KI and they could shoot for wooden coaster records and try and compete with Voyage, El Toro, or Lightning Rod for best wooden coaster. But I think that's later down the line and 2020 is a B&M (hopefully giga).

• Like 3

Son of Beast makes a return!! 

I’m kidding. I believe it will be B&M. If not, I expect it to be steel no matter what. But as everyone else has pointed out numerous times, the notice of commencement says B&M. I’d say the chances of any other manufacturer making this coaster is close to zero. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, upstop said:

Also keep in mind what’s next door to the old Volcano site. Polaris and Orion could fit there too. 

What’s by it? I’ve never been to KD. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

And another problem, Cedar Fair doesn't work with Intamin anymore. And after Volcano's closure, it sure looks like they won't work with them anytime soon. An RMC topper track woodie on the other hand would work pretty well at KI and they could shoot for wooden coaster records and try and compete with Voyage, El Toro, or Lightning Rod for best wooden coaster. But I think that's later down the line and 2020 is a B&M (hopefully giga).

Didn’t think about it, I was thinking about the whole “most wooden track of any amusement park” thing

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Volcano was in the Safari Village part of KD so I think they'll keep the Safari theme.

While the area is themed very well with music, landscaping and props, it is very mishmashed.  An Avalanche, a Nascar race track, Flight of Fear through space and a Hollywood Backlot don't really fit into a safari theme.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DiamondBanshee said:

^I believe we are all missing the point that Cedar Fair trademarked not one, but two names. Am I crazy for thinking one could go to KI and one could go to KD?

It's definitely possible. If i remember correct, didn't they also trademark "Fury' and "Centurion" at the same time though?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sorner said:

What’s by it? I’ve never been to KD. 

Their FOF coaster.

Also, didn’t CW and Carrowinds get new themed areas along with a coaster? Why couldn’t a new themed area be called Polaris or Orion? (Both KD and KI are primed for a new themed area.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

^I believe we are all missing the point that Cedar Fair trademarked not one, but two names. Am I crazy for thinking one could go to KI and one could go to KD?

I saw someone suggest they filed two because they’re both so basic they could get rejected so they chose to file two Incase one gets rejected. Maybe one of the names could be the name of a large flat ride also if they choose to expand the area?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DiamondBanshee said:

If I'm not mistaken, CF has a history of trademarking numerous names early and not using any of them.  Think about The Ledge and Centurion. Don't believe either have been used as of yet.  CF could just be messing with us. Lol

• Like 6

• malem locked this topic