Decoding 2020

fryoj

I work at a public school and ALL SORTS of things are public record. Tons of things. That doesn't mean you're going to see a lot of them without a lawyer and a court-date.  

I doubt they’d want to spend money on court costs and attorneys over construction documents. I guess we won’t know until we try though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bansheeback said:

That’s actually exactly what it means. See section 2.2 of This document. It states that “The requester does not have to put a records request in writing, and does not have to provide his or her identity or the intended use of the requested public record. It is the City of Mason’s general policy that this information is not to be required”

It also says some records may be exempt or redacted. And that delves into the Ohio Revised Code. KI may has some sort of exemption for the content of their submissions. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Well. That's probably their "general policy" on a lot of things. But trust me I know that's not exactly how it works when they don't want to share something. ;-)  I have no idea how it works between the park and the county offices, but I'm guessing we'd be seeing plans posted to this site awhile ago on all sorts of things if it was that easy.

OH, you want to see the plans to Permit #12392(R%238? Why didn't you say so? lol

• Like 3

It also says some records may be exempt or redacted. And that delves into the Ohio Revised Code. KI may has some sort of exemption for the content of their submissions. 

Definitely possible. I wonder how WCPO obtained this then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bansheeback said:

Media has more pull than your average guy off the street. 

I want to say those were posted here before that as well, but it's a blur now. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I would honestly prefer something like "Orion 345" or Polaris "355" than just Orion or Polaris. I'm not sure why people have such an issue with the number thing, I think it sounds kind of cool. Like you could be FURY, and that's pretty cool, but then you could be FURY 325 and to me that's just cooler. Especially if it's a space themed thing, I just think it would work. Just my 2 cents.

For me, I guess it depends on what the number is.

305 is stylistically appealing enough, as it rolls off the tongue easily and in the case of KD's giga can be shortened to I305 (as well as differentiating itself from the similiarly themed hyper found at Carowinds).

325 works because it looks nice and is a quarter of a way to 400.

But something like Leviathan 306, Intimidator 232, or Kingda Ka 456, would not look or sound good.

--------
Ultimately though, for simplicity's sake I would just prefer no numbers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BeastForever said:

For me, I guess it depends on what the number this is.

305 is stylistically appealing enough, as it rolls off the tongue easily and in the case KD's giga can be shortened to I305 (as well as differentiating itself from the similiarly themed hyper found at Carowinds).

325 works because its a quarter of a way to 400.

But something like Leviathan 306, or Intimidator 232, or Kingda Ka 456, would not look or sound good.

--------
Ultimately though, for simplicity's sake I would just prefer no numbers.

For sure, the numbers definitely have to sound good with the rest of the name. I do think Intimidator 305, and Fury 325 sound pretty cool, and Orion 345 or something to that effect would sound pretty slick as well.

• Like 3

I might not be 100% correct (so appologies upfront if so) but all aspects of planning and permit applications are public record and are subject to be released upon request  I do believe that those are, however, able to be sealed for a to be determined period if an applicant can prove that releasing them would be detrimental to their business or release "trade secrets" etc.  This is most likely the case with KI.  They can argue that a competitor could get these plans and build whatever first.

The footer plan for Mystic Timbers could had no statistics and could have been for a go cart track or anything. That's probably why it was available.  Sort of a teaser knowing it would be released and speculation would go wild.  Just my opinion though on that.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Consider this:  The Cirque show Origins had vines and forest imagery that tied into Mystic Timbers.  Will the current show, Gravity, also foreshadow a future attraction?  Several scoffed at this notion when I mentioned it last year.

Yeah, what was the name of that planet they were headed to in the pre-show, again?

-MDMC, asking questions at length

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

For sure, the numbers definitely have to sound good with the rest of the name. I do think Intimidator 305, and Fury 325 sound pretty cool, and Orion 345 or something to that effect would sound pretty slick as well.

I don't like the numbers because I think they only sound appealing when the height is still relevant and new. Beast 135 or Vortex 138 do not sound good because it isn't exciting now to have a 100 foot coaster built, even if that would have been super exciting in 1979 and possibly sounded good back then. I think just 'Fury' sounds better than Fury 325 anyway, but it will definitely sound better in 20+ years when 300+ft coasters aren't the new thing anymore 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, XBeastGirlX said:

I don't like the numbers because I think they only sound appealing when the height is still relevant and new. Beast 135 or Vortex 138 do not sound good because it isn't exciting now to have a 100 foot coaster built, even if that would have been super exciting in 1979 and possibly sounded good back then. I think just 'Fury' sounds better than Fury 325 anyway, but it will definitely sound better in 20+ years when 300+ft coasters aren't the new thing anymore 

This is a good point, although I'm curious how much of the GP really knows what the number means.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

Just drove over to the City of Mason building and Planning offices and asked to see the filing from Kings Island.  The office staff knows to keep the coaster documents easily accessible, so it’s a very quick process.  How do I know?  I left work early and drove over and did it myself.  I have pictures of the documents from June 17th for Mystic Timbers.  But it’s just a document which shows the footings, it’s enough for a general layout and type of coaster but that’s about it.  

In the case of this coaster we should get a very good idea of the height based on the length of the lift hill, most B&M coasters use a 45 degree lift.

36 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

If memory serves me right, the plans for MT were only available because of the permit needed to cross the reservoir for WWC. 

Nope it’s a very general requirement and will need to be filed for this coaster.

• Like 5

We are not sure about the bottom part of that pic being used for this coaster right? I'll wait til they clear all those trees in middle of pic before I get my hopes up too high. I posted a pic yesterday outlining this whole space and said I was hopeful they take it over by old SoB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, presto123 said:

We are not sure about the bottom part of that pic being used for this coaster right? I'll wait til they clear all those trees in middle of pic before I get my hopes up too high. I posted a pic yesterday outlining this whole space and said I was hopeful they take it over by old SoB.

Jesus if they did that this thing would be absolutely massive. I think whatever they do if you look at that cleared space next to the rest of the park I think it's safe to say it's probably going to be pretty big.

• Like 1

If memory serves me right, the plans for MT were only available because of the permit needed to cross the reservoir for WWC. 
Six, when you fly next time, can you get more detailed pictures of the location around the old SOB to see if any work is being done there as well as at the end of Racer to The Beast to see if anything is going on between that area too? Thank you very much, just wondering about these areas

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If anyone wanted to get started they could go to the offices and ask for the Project X blueprints filed on April 18.  I haven’t gone to get my own copies so I’m not sharing pics, but I have seen someone else’s copies with my own eyes.

It isn’t a full layout yet, just the initial partial foundation plan so they can start pouring footings when they are ready. 

For all I know, there may be more plans filed within the past month. 

The information about this being public record that can be seen for the asking has been posted in this thread is true. There is a small fee if you want your own copies, but anyone is allowed to go request to see the filings. 

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Vortex39 said:

New shot of the clearing thus far... it's a big one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuqEzOv41I

3467378358.jpg

My flyover video from May 5th. That Sunday, the park was busy. 

32 minutes ago, FlyMartyFly said:

Six, when you fly next time, can you get more detailed pictures of the location around the old SOB to see if any work is being done there as well as at the end of Racer to The Beast to see if anything is going on between that area too? Thank you very much, just wondering about these areas

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I definitely will!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

If anyone wanted to get started they could go to the offices and ask for the Project X blueprints filed on April 18.  I haven’t gone to get my own copies so I’m not sharing pics, but I have seen someone else’s copies with my own eyes.

It isn’t a full layout yet, just the initial partial foundation plan so they can start pouring footings when they are ready. 

For all I know, there may be more plans filed within the past month. 

The information about this being public record that can be seen for the asking has been posted in this thread is true. There is a small fee if you want your own copies, but anyone is allowed to go request to see the filings. 

So you could draw a partial layout and post it then? 

• Like 2

I don’t think it would be very interesting if I did. It’s just the footings for what appears to be the station, return, and beginning of the lift hill. The locations given for the footings were from an undisclosed zero point around 5000 feet away, and there wasn’t anything indicating north on the drawing. 

Someone will go down and buy copies and share them soon I would think. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I don’t think it would be very interesting if I did. It’s just the footings for what appears to be the station, return, and beginning of the lift hill. The locations given for the footings were from an undisclosed zero point around 5000 feet away, and there wasn’t anything indicating north on the drawing. 

Someone will go down and buy copies and share them soon I would think. 

Ah, I remember trying to figure out Mystic's location with that type of info. Fun times. I'd go myself, but am not close enough. 

• Like 2

• malem locked this topic