Decoding 2020

fryoj

There are ways around height restrictions...I mean if you think about it....Carowinds has Fury 325 that's directly under a flight path for the Charlotte Airport. 

I was just wondering. I have only been to Carowinds once in 2010, so I’m not familiar with the Charlotte area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Has anyone considered the reason they left Firehawk's queue could be repurposed to be used for Flight of Fear's additional queue? I could see them removing the current overhang/queue lines to open the plaza area which would in turn, refresh that area a bit more. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

Has anyone considered the reason they left Firehawk's queue could be repurposed to be used for Flight of Fear's additional queue? I could see them removing the current overhang/queue lines to open the plaza area which would in turn, refresh that area a bit more. 

Or here's an idea, just use the indoor switchbacks. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm confused here. Everyone is getting different measurements here. 

The difference is coming from people trying to overlay a cad drawing onto a google map. Theres different ways to do that and you get different numbers depending on where you measure from. 

However we have true numbers from the plans. The base of the lift is ~350 ft from the widest/tallest set of supports and the lift is 40 degrees. Math gives you a height around 290-300. The footers at the high point are also 10 ft higher than the base footer. So that knocks some of the overall height relative to the ground. The only question is how far past that widest set of footers does the track keep going up before dropping. 

Just now, Creed Bratton said:

It hasn't been brought up, but the leaked plans show the Firehawk queue being tied into FOF. I wouldn't be surprised if it was set up to be used as an overflow queue for the new coaster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Or here's an idea, just use the indoor switchbacks. 

They have been used as well as the outdoor queue lines.

1 minute ago, fryoj said:

It hasn't been brought up, but the leaked plans show the Firehawk queue being tied into FOF. I wouldn't be surprised if it was set up to be used as an overflow queue for the new coaster. 

Looking at the the site via Google Earth/Maps...I saw how it could be easily done which made me think about posting it here :). I could see it also being used for the overflow.

I also feel like we'll end up with what Carowinds did for Copperhead Strike....a plaza that's forever long filled with temp queues before even getting to the entrances of the ride.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fryoj said:

The difference is coming from people trying to overlay a cad drawing onto a google map. Theres different ways to do that and you get different numbers depending on where you measure from. 

However we have true numbers from the plans. The base of the lift is ~350 ft from the widest/tallest set of supports and the lift is 40 degrees. Math gives you a height around 290-300. The footers at the high point are also 10 ft higher than the base footer. So that knocks some of the overall height relative to the ground. The only question is how far past that widest set of footers does the track keep going up before dropping. 

My numbers use the footer coordinates, down to a fraction of an inch, in CAD software. No estimating there. The only thing I estimated was the angle of the support columns, but that does not affect how far apart the base of the lift footer is from the end of the backbone footer is. Per CAD, I'm getting right at 452-453' apart from these two footers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheBEASTunchained said:

That could be true, but would it really make people upset as much as it would simply be throwing people off track? I mean, the park has known that this information would be found out, so who's to say that they didn't have this ready to go? If anyone's teasing campaigns and trolling has ever went to the next level, it's Kings Island, and I would expect nothing less from them. 

The topography map has been seen on this site before, or old ones have anyway. Due to them needing updated versions for Antique Autos, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they just threw this overlay on top of a map. Kings Island's marketing department is made up of some clever folks. 

Did someone say, a..... Diversion? 

This theory is the most believable I've heard. It's been a floating rumor for a bit now, so I suppose we shouldn't necessarily be surprised by this short layout if this rumor is true. 

The topography map that this is drawn on shows the layout for the tiques; the topography map is definitely "current"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

My numbers use the footer coordinates, down to a fraction of an inch, in CAD software. No estimating there. The only thing I estimated was the angle of the support columns, but that does not affect how far apart the base of the lift footer is from the end of the backbone footer is. Per CAD, I'm getting right at 452-453' apart from these two footers.

Which footers are you looking at? They’re labeled LS-something in the drawings.

Crazy how fuzzy these numbers still are even with the drawings. Everyone is getting different answers and it feels like the only answer we’ve gotten from the prints is “It’s a giga. Probably. Maybe. A lot of stuff doesn’t add up but yeah, smells like a giga.”

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

I'm getting right at 452-453' apart from these two footers.

So if we use 452 we get a height of 379.27ft and if we use 453 we get 380.11ft. So based on your super accurate measurements the lift would be 380ft tall. Correct me if I am misunderstanding.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

Which footers are you looking at? They’re labeled LS-something in the drawings.

Crazy how fuzzy these numbers still are even with the drawings. Everyone is getting different answers and it feels like the only answer we’ve gotten from the prints is “It’s a giga. Probably. Maybe. A lot of stuff doesn’t add up but yeah, smells like a giga.”

I have the backbone starting at L2-1 and ending at L16D. The CAD overlay is only there as reference, I used the legit coordinates to make my sketches. 

2369A72C-BA6E-4198-BBB2-7EC995D16FAD.jpeg

05D1A094-6C01-4B10-BC32-DE8E51559CA3.jpeg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

I have the backbone starting at L2-1 and ending at L16D. The CAD overlay is only there as reference, I used the legit coordinates to make my sketches. 

That is not how the supports work though.  The L4R and L4L supports are angled and support the drop.  Your lift hill angle is not accurate.

EDIT: Well I am an idiot, Its L13L and L13R which are angled to support the drop, I know better even.  Feel free to ignore this stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Coaster Critics said:

So if we use 452 we get a height of 379.27ft and if we use 453 we get 380.11ft. So based on your super accurate measurements the lift would be 380ft tall. Correct me if I am misunderstanding.

I'm not sure where you're getting such large numbers. 

If the lift is 40°, and the drop is 81° (assumption at this point), and per the footer coordinates the two ends are 453' away, the apex point is only 335' high (where the 40° and 81° angles meet). But, we need to factor in the curvature at the top. Throwing in a guesstimate gets me the below, at 300' tall. 

(my numbers below are intended to be multiplied by 12... my CAD doesn't support the larger, realistic numbers, but this is equally scaled down, so it's still accurate)

C4911B2D-D409-4768-B4BE-64E6A226FA72.jpeg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fryoj said:

However we have true numbers from the plans. The base of the lift is ~350 ft from the widest/tallest set of supports and the lift is 40 degrees.

Do we really know that the lift is 40 degrees though. I know the support is 40 degrees, but doesn't it attach to a "flange" (I don't know the technical term for it) that is not necessarily on the same angle as the spine of the track? 

carowinds_fury_16.jpg

• Like 2

Is there more than just those few images I've seen on Reddit of the "leaked" documents in the original PDF that those who "have seen" which make it seem legitimate?  I ask because on the Red Traced layout image, there is clearly some funkiness in the right third of the image.  Notice how all of the contour lines and existing paths/elements are disconnected.  It is as if someone took two images and tried to stretch to match them together, but the scale isn't aligning right with all the disconnected lines.  If this was one full page drawing, this is clearly a hack.  

This looks more like a concept mock-up someone has done--not real prints.  Contour lines don't just suddenly shift all in a perfect vertical line on real prints.  Heck even the track has a funky offset which doesn't make sense.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheBEASTunchained said:
50 minutes ago, Thane Of Price Hill said:

This makes sense if you believe the rumor that Kings Island is getting this coaster using cap ex money Cedar Fair had originally budgeted for CGA's hypercoaster.

This theory is the most believable I've heard. It's been a floating rumor for a bit now, so I suppose we shouldn't necessarily be surprised by this short layout if this rumor is true. 

Don’t coasters take years to design? This isn’t a generic coaster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenban said:

That is not how the supports work though.  The L4R and L4L supports are angled and support the drop.  Your lift hill angle is not accurate.

Right, they're angled, but they support the lift (near the beginning), not the drop. My mouse cursor is right next to L4R.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, BSBMX said:

Right, they're angled, but they support the lift (near the beginning), not the drop. My mouse cursor is right next to L4R.

image.jpg

Doh, sorry your right my mistake, not paying enough attention.

4 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

I'm not sure where you're getting such large numbers. 

If the lift is 40°, and the drop is 81° (assumption at this point), and per the footer coordinates the two ends are 453' away, the apex point is only 335' high (where the 40° and 81° angles meet). But, we need to factor in the curvature at the top. Throwing in a guesstimate gets me the below, at 300' tall. 

(my numbers below are intended to be multiplied by 12... my CAD doesn't support the larger, realistic numbers, but this is equally scaled down, so it's still accurate)

C4911B2D-D409-4768-B4BE-64E6A226FA72.jpeg

I was looking at your numbers and thinking you were saying the lift was 453 feet along the ground, while you were saying its 453 feet between points at which the backbone hits the ground.  Nice drawing, your likely close.  I suspect its just over 300 ft tall.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ethancoaster said:

So what do y’all think the theme will be? I’m expecting something similar to Hyperion at Energylandia, down to the themed queue.

Seeing that the name is presumably either going to be Orion or Polaris, my guess is that the ride will be themed around a space voyage. There will probably be music playing throughout the queue similar to Mystic Timbers and lots of lighting at night. I think it would be awesome if Kings Island installed chase lighting throughout the majority of the track similar to Hangtime at Knotts.

KBF-18_0521-(Cover).jpg

• Like 4

• malem locked this topic