Decoding 2020

fryoj

The backbone of the drop may not even connect fully, or at all, to the track like Fury and Levi. The backbone may look something similar to Hyperion's. It would be something new for B&M, but it's nothing radically different. This could keep the footings right where they're at but give us a coaster that's quite a bit taller than just 300'. Though, the dashed lines on the footings blueprint do not support this theory, but it's an idea. 

D4DDFF85-C1C0-48CC-BC99-5880B3F9C4F5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adrenaline Obsession said:

I don't think thats the case. If it were 90, wouldnt the plans look more like this (Excuse the crude photoshop)?:

spacer.png

Instead of:
spacer.png

That's what I'm thinking, but if its backbone is something similar to Hyperion's, then maybe there's a chance?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Not really. Take a look at Fury. They "point" towards the drop. So, theoretically, it could very well be 90. 

Pic is random Google search for Fury 325. 

Fury325 layout.jpg

After giving it another look, I doubt it's vertical. My reason for this is that the backbone of the drop meets up with the top of the smallest white support. For the drop to be vertical in our drawings, the top of where L16R and L16L meet would have to be directly over L16D.

Actually, now that I think about it, if we know the proper scale, basic trig could tell you the angle that the backbone forms by meeting up with the top of L16D. Has anyone done this or are we missing a piece of info/dimension we'd need to know the angle? Idk I'm tired.

• Like 3

From what I can tell by the overhead blueprints (which is to say, very little) the layout seems to be either a mix of Leviathan and Fury elements or something entirely different altogether. I can't really tell.

It appears to have some type of helix, which is good (something Leviathan doesn't have but Fury does). The turnaround hopefully will be something more like the treble clef found on Fury rather than the generic hammerhead found on Leviathan and many B&M hypers. As for what happens besides that. I have no idea...

9 hours ago, ldhudsonjr said:

I do completely understand the initial reaction to seeing the layout. It makes sense to me as I think a lot of us were hoping for something like Fury 325 right in our back yard. Like I said a few pages back though, I definitely think we are missing some puzzle pieces here. I'd be surprised if there isn't something up their sleeves that makes this ride unique in one way or another.

My thoughts exactly.

I for one am willing to reserve judgment until we know all the exact details via official announcement (or better yet, actually riding it), but understand the 'anticipointment' some are having with what looks (keyword looks, we won't know until we know) atm to be a half-done roller coaster.

Tensions, uncertainties, anxieties for many have been running quite high the past couple of days (and will probably continue for a time being). But I get that. Yes, obviously there is virtue found in being grateful for whatever the park decides to grant its devoted fans, but we're human after all. So there is bound to be some who will express disappointment in what they perceive as not what they were hoping/expecting (whether these perceptions/assumptions are well-founded or not).

But as you said, I also feel like there is something we're not seeing, something that can't be observed from the information we have available - whether it be an inventive turnaround, sideways airtime moments, tunnel(s), thematic elements etc. Something to make the world's seventh gigacoaster amazing and unique and some way.

As for what I think?

Well, lets just put it this way....

Come April 2020, once all the footings are poured, track and supports are assembled, and ALL this will have blown over, I have a hard time believing that we won't be absolutely amazed at what they created for us, look back on these tumultuous times and simply laugh at what we were all thinking.

When all is said and done, and media day/opening day comes around, I just don't envision a forum filled with disappointed fans, saying they found the ride to be 'underwhelming' or 'meh'. It didn't happen with Banshee, it didn't happen with Mystic Timbers. I don't believe it will happen this time around either...

• Like 22

16 minutes ago, BeastForever said:

I for one am willing to reserve judgment until we know all the exact details via official announcement (or better yet, actually riding it), but understand the 'anticipointment' some are having with what looks (keyword looks, we won't know until we know) atm to be a half-done roller coaster.

Fantastic post. Edited quote content for length. I'd double heart this if I could.

You've nailed how I feel about it basically. Upon first seeing the layout it was a mixture of "What? That... can't be all there is..."  and sadness. I understand that layouts are boring to look at, but it just looks so astoundingly short, which is exactly why I have settled on three options:

1. There is something we are not seeing that the layout is not revealing. Wild airtime hills, a larger first drop than appears, B&M's first actual wave turn, etc. Something.
  2. The layout is incomplete, or it's an earlier draft that is not final and went to the chopping block.
  3. It's not a real layout. The insane detail on the layout map makes this one hard to believe, however.

I just have a very very hard time believing that the 5th North American giga coaster is going to be anything other than fantastic, in some respect. Farting out a "bleh" giga coaster seems like a ridiculously tone-deaf thing for Cedar Fair to do after nearly a decade of people asking when it's coming, and I would be stunned if that's their intention. I've had friends who aren't enthusiasts asking me for years when I think KI will get "one of them huge Cedar Point rides" because even they feel KI could do it justice. So it's not just enthusiasts clamoring for something spectacular. 

The thing about a giga is that once you commit to it, it is highly unlikely that you'll ever get something bigger or better. A giga is a rare chance for a park to reach for the stars (heh) and deliver a wild experience, and it would take a lot of convincing for me to believe KI is okay with wasting that chance. I'm of the opinion that Cedar Fair is aware of the risk of people saying "We waited a decade for this?" and they don't intend on that being the reaction. 

But hey, maybe I'm making a mistake letting my hopes return to an optimistic baseline. Only time will tell.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, BeastForever said:

From what I can tell by the overhead blueprints (which I admit, is very little), the layout seems to be either a mixture of Leviathan and Fury elements or something entirely different altogether. I can't really tell.

It appears to have some type of helix, which is good (something Leviathan doesn't have but Fury does. The turnaround hopefully will be something more like the treble clef found on Fury rather than the generic hammerhead found on Leviathan and many B&M hypers. As for what happens besides that. I have no idea...

My thoughts exactly.

Tensions, uncertainties, anxieties for many have been running quite high the past couple of days (and will probably continue for a time being). But I get that. Yes, obviously there is virtue found in being grateful for whatever the park decides to grant its devoted fans, but were human after all. So there is bound to be some who will express disappointment in what they perceive as not what they were hoping/expecting (whether these perceptions/assumptions are well-founded or not).

But as you said, I also feel like there is something we're not seeing, something that can't be observed from the information we have available - whether it be an inventive turnaround, sideways airtime moments, tunnel(s), thematic elements etc. Something to make the world's seventh gigacoaster amazing and unique and some way.

As for what I think?

Well, let me put it this way....

Come April 2020, once all the footings are poured, track and supports are assembled, and ALL this will have blown over, I have a hard time believing that we won't be absolutely amazed at what they created for us, look back on these tumultuous times and simply laugh at what many of us were thinking.

When all is said and done, and media day/opening day comes around, I just don't envision very many, if at all, saying they found the ride to be 'disappointing' or 'meh'. It didn't happen with Banshee, it didn't happen with Mystic Timbers. I don't believe it will happen this time around either...

I agree. This thing, no matter the height/length will be unique (every giga has been so far) and provide an experience you'll only find at KI. There will be something about it that will make it stand out. When is the last time Cedar Fair put out a dud?

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, BeastForever said:

Come April 2020, once all the footings are poured, track and supports are assembled, and ALL this will have blown over, I have a hard time believing that we won't be absolutely amazed at what they created for us, look back on these tumultuous times and simply laugh at what many of us were thinking.

When all is said and done, and media day/opening day comes around, I just don't envision very many, if at all, saying they found the ride to be 'disappointing' or 'meh'. It didn't happen with Banshee, it didn't happen with Mystic Timbers. I don't believe it will happen this time around either...

Here here!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BeastForever said:

From what I can tell by the overhead blueprints (which I admit, is very little), the layout seems to be either a mixture of Leviathan and Fury elements or something entirely different altogether. I can't really tell.

You can actually tell a lot by those blue prints. There are banked airtime hills. That video that was posted is actually pretty spot on. If you look closely at the leaked blue prints you can see lines where the supports are so you can tell where there is height. The turn around starts low to the ground and rises quickly. 

The helix also appears to be pretty high in the air based on the length of the suppprts that are visible  

Also, look closely at the track. You can see lines on the sides and so where there is banking you can tell. The second hill is banked to the left. I actually traced over the track in photoshop, not just as one solid line like other people had, but zoomed in and traced all three lines of the track so you could see banking. I also highlighted the supports in red so you could tell where there is height but when I posted on here it was removed because it was a traced copy of the leaked blue prints. I would be happy to PM to anyone interested though. 

If this is real it will be short but pretty intense. That video someone posted on YouTube looks to be spot on 

• Like 3

Side note, if they do end up going with Orion, I think music like this would be sick.

It would be the perfect track for a celestial giga. Droning backbeat, swirling synths.

Would love to hang out in the station at night listening to this with a big blue LED light strip ablaze on the chain lift as trains slink out of the station and clack-clack-clack up the hill. If you've ever been on Millennium Force's platform at night, it would be like that but more mysterious.

Bonus points if the trains are speckled all over with stars, or the Orion constellation/nebula is emblazoned on the hood of the train.

I'm ready for a mystical space-journey, man.

• Like 10

If the length, height, and/or speed shortages are the result of budgetary constraints, then so be it. However, I don't think this would stop the ride from having inventive elements such the ones discussed above (and as seen in the NoLimits recreation)
Regardless, this should make for yet another amazing night-time experience for KI, which can't necessarily be said for the other B&M gigas bordering their park's respective parking lots.

-----

And I also stand by my sentiment expressed many months ago, which was that a giga of any magnitude would solidify KI's case for the best and most complete lineup of coasters outside of CP.

Both Carowinds and CW have serious depth issues past there top 3-4 - holes which are not present in KI's lineup. KD's depth is comparable to KI, and I305 and Twisted Timbers are world-class enough to put them in the conversation, but losing Volcano was a huge blow to their lineup. I also don't think CF will be significantly adding to their thrill arsenal very much in the coming years based on how investments have been distributed lately.

--------

Unfortunately, historic and timeless racing woodies designed by John Allen are not going to regenerate out of thin air (RIP Thunder Road). That's an edge the Kings parks will always have over every other park in the chain for as long as Racer and Racer 75 exist.

No good wood coasters at either CW or Carowinds.

No Arrow Suspended at Carowinds. No stand-out launched coaster, or quality invert at CW.

Sit down boomerangs, standard Arrow loopers, and wild mice rounding out both of their lineups, where as KI has an inverted boomerang (rarer than you think), and a mega looper.

Heck, even Carolina Goldrusher I've NOT heard good things about (quite the opposite, in fact)

Even our mine train edges out what Carowinds in that department.

------------

So if you were to ask me the question "Are you jealous of Carowinds?"

I mean sure, Fury 325 really does look amazing and I can only hope what we have in store can rival it in critical acclaim in spite of its "subpar stats". But the honest answer to this question would be a confident 'NO'.

In fact, I somewhat pity them simply for the loss of Thunder Road alone. Thats something you can't get back...

Ever.

Now I know I'm getting wildly off-topic at this point, but really, I could not even fathom what it would be like to lose The Racer. I would be..... mortified...

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, BeastForever said:

If the length, height, and/or speed shortages were the result of tight budgeting, then so be it. However, I don't think this would stop the ride from having inventive elements such as some of the ones discussed above (and was seen in the NoLimits recreation)
Regardless, this should make for yet another amazing night-time experience for at KI, which can't necessarily be said for the other B&M gigas bordering their park's respective parking lots.

-----

And I also stand by my sentiment expressed many months ago, which was that a giga of any magnitude would solidify KI's case the for the best and most complete lineup of coasters outside of CP.

Both Carowinds and CW have serious depth issues past there top 3-4 - holes which are not present in KI's lineup. KD's depth is comparable to KI, and I305 and Twisted Timbers are world-class enough to put them in the conversation, but losing Volcano was a huge blow to their lineup. It also don't think CF will be significantly adding to their thrill arsenal very much in the coming years based on how investments have been distributed lately.

--------

Unfortunately, historic and timeless racing woodies designed by John Allen are not going to regenerate out of thin air (RIP Thunder Road). That's an edge the Kings parks will always have over every other park in the chain for as long as Racer and Racer 75 exist.

No good wood coasters at either CW or Carowinds.

No Arrow Suspended at Carowinds. No stand-out launched coaster, or quality invert at CW.

Sit down boomerangs, standard Arrow loopers, and wild mice rounding out both of their lineups, where as KI has an inverted boomerang (rarer than you think), and a mega looper.

Heck, even Carolina Goldrusher I've NOT heard good things about (quite the opposite, in fact)

Even our mine train edges out what Carowinds in that department.

------------

So if you were to ask me the question "Are you jealous of Carowinds?"

I mean sure, Fury 325 really does look amazing and I can only hope what we have in store can rival it in critical acclaim in spite of its "subpar stats". But the honest answer to this question would be a confident 'NO'.

In fact, I somewhat pity them simply for the loss of Thunder Road. Those are things you can't get back...

Ever.

Now I know I'm getting wildly off-topic at this point, but really, I could not even fathom what it would be like to lose The Racer. I would be..... mortified...

------

So you're saying Kings Island is "on the map"?:lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, presto123 said:

So you're saying Kings Island is "on the map"?:lol:

Yup. :)

Either that....

Or 3,000,000+ people every year prove to be virtuoso navigators, stumbling upon this obscure little southwestern Ohio amusement park, which for years enthusiasts have suggested (whether on purpose, or not) is not to be found "on the map" (Whatever that even means these days :rolleyes:)

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Yup. 
Either that....
Or 3,000,000+ people every over are prove to be virtuoso navigators, stumbling across this 'obscure' little park outside of Cincinnati that enthusiasts for years have been suggesting (whether on purpose, or not) is not to be found "on the map" (Whatever that even means these days :rolleyes:)

Ya I saw that all the other day... I’ve been going since I was a kid (about 20 years ago) and its popularity has been growing a lot. I can go to Kings Island, and have busier days than Cedar Point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

Side note, if they do end up going with Orion, I think music like this would be sick. It would be the perfect track for a celestial giga. Droning backbeat, swirling synths.

Spot on, for sure. I really do hope it's something generally similar to this.

• Like 3

• malem locked this topic