Decoding 2020

fryoj

33 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

I found the real layout for lil giga

I personally love the touch of the absurdly high brake run at the end. Shocker.

Seems longer and taller than our projected coaster...the multiple splash downs I guess will give us the most splashdowns in one park. That’s a record to covet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

The layout has to use more of that empty Firehawk space than what we saw in the leak, right guys? Right?

...guys?

i feel like it has to use some of it. Firehawk was a maintenance nightmare sure but i think the decision to remove it was to make way for this coaster. ill be pretty upset if the layout doesnt use some of the Firehawk plot. With all this being said im still in the "the leaked layout is fake" camp.

• Like 3

Just a thought, if the leaked layout was more on par with, say, Fury’s layout, would this many people believe it was fake or would more believe it was true because it would be seen as a “better ride”?

(I say “better ride” because not only is that subjective, but this layout may provide an unparalleled experience which is better than Fury for people. We just don’t know yet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

Just a thought, if the leaked layout was more on par with, say, Fury’s layout, would this many people believe it was fake or would more believe it was true because it would be seen as a “better ride”?

(I say “better ride” because not only is that subjective, but this layout may provide an unparalleled experience which is better than Fury for people. We just don’t know yet)

if i saw that the plans had a full size giga on it i would be more inclined to believe its true. the current leaked layout to me seems awfully short. i dont even care if it breaks every record in the book (even though id love that) but darn if you are going to build this big of a coaster why would you make it so short. Like i said in a previous post of mine if it was RMC making us a coaster we would know even with a short layout that they would put in the effort and creativity to make the most of that space. but we are talking about B&M here. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I talked about this somewhere on the site...but the last B&M to have the stadium style seating appears to be Intimidator at Carowinds....Mako another Hyper was released with the 4-abreast seating. I doubt that they go back to the stadium style seating now. 

The 4-abreast is part cost management, part experience and part method. 

I would say we have a 96-100% chance this new coaster will have the 4-abreast seating.

The last one was actually Shambalah (2012) and yes the Giga and other hypers will have 4-abreast seating. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Just popping in to remind everyone it’s “footings” and not “footers.” Cheers.

I know plenty of people who actually work in the concrete and foundation trades, and the only people I hear call them are footings are on this site. It may be the proper term, but footers is an industry term and is used commonly. 

16 minutes ago, DiamondBanshee said:

People have spent months planning their dream giga out on this site. 399 ft tall and longer than steel dragon. World record breaker. Up and down the ravines through the forest. yada yada. To see a lift that may only barely hit 300 if that and a length that rivals Diamondback is quite a reality check. It's the standard grief cycle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fryoj said:

I know plenty of people who actually work in the concrete and foundation trades, and the only people I hear call them are footings are on this site. It may be the proper term, but footers is an industry term and is used commonly.

I've sat in plenty of design meetings with architects, structural engineers, and project managers and have heard them called both footings and footers; everyone knows what they are talking about and moves forward.  The amount of times this gets corrected here is infinietly more than the amount of times it gets corrected out in the field.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I do not want this post to come across as a complaint, because I am happy we are getting a new coaster.  But I have absolutely no idea as to why Cedar Fair is building this specific coaster.  For a number of reasons I expected a 2020 coaster at Kings Island, maybe even a giga, but when I look at what is likely the layout, and I look at the blue print for the lift hill and drop, I have no idea why someone would green light this ride.

According to Richard Zimmerman

As has been Cedar Fair's Cornerstone, we go the extra mile to build record-setting roller coasters unique by feature and scale

He literally made that statement two days ago on a conference call in relation to the 2019 coasters.  But there are no records being broken here, there is no extra mile, people have said Fury is too new so its not going to break those records, frankly why bother building it then?  A giga coaster is expensive and unnecessary unless its going to end up on top ten lists.  This is Leviathan 2.0 in every way I can see.  A decent coaster but a waste of money.

The amount of money being spent on this coaster could have made a much better ride if it was not this tall and fast.  This is a $30 million dollar ride, that only enthusiasts outside of the Cincinnati area will remember for more than a year or two.  Its still better then the amount of waste that has gone into rides like Escape from Krypton at Magic Mountain but so far this ride just screams we ran out of money, which is typically a sign that the park or chain is building the wrong attraction.

Maybe the reveal or construction will change my mind, but I am uncertain as to what they could possibly show at this point which would convince me that the money would not have been better spent on a different type of coaster.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, fryoj said:

People have spent months planning their dream giga out on this site. 399 ft tall and longer than steel dragon. World record breaker. Up and down the ravines through the forest. yada yada. To see a lift that may only barely hit 300 if that and a length that rivals Diamondback is quite a reality check. It's the standard grief cycle. 

It also doesn’t help that KI feels like the perfect candidate for one of the most epic gigas ever, in both landscape/visitorship. Just feels like it makes way too much sense to build a huge giga that voyages deep into the woods.

Difficult to reconcile the fact that Cedar Fair’s values might not align with that.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I do not want this post to come across as a complaint, because I am happy we are getting a new coaster.  But I have absolutely no idea as to why Cedar Fair is building this specific coaster.  For a number of reasons I expected a 2020 coaster at Kings Island, maybe even a giga, but when I look at what is likely the layout, and I look at the blue print for the lift hill and drop, I have no idea why someone would green light this ride.

According to Richard Zimmerman

He literally made that statement two days ago on a conference call in relation to the 2019 coasters.  But there are no records being broken here, there is no extra mile, people have said Fury is too new so its not going to break those records, frankly why bother building it then?  A giga coaster is expensive and unnecessary unless its going to end up on top ten lists.  This is Leviathan 2.0 in every way I can see.  A decent coaster but a waste of money.

The amount of money being spent on this coaster could have made a much better ride if it was not this tall and fast.  This is a $30 million dollar ride, that only enthusiasts outside of the Cincinnati area will remember for more than a year or two.  Its still better then the amount of waste that has gone into rides like Escape from Krypton at Magic Mountain but so far this ride just screams we ran out of money, which is typically a sign that the park or chain is building the wrong attraction.

Maybe the reveal or construction will change my mind, but I am uncertain as to what they could possibly show at this point which would convince me that the money would not have been better spent on a different type of coaster.

i agree with alot of this. if i had the choice between this leaked giga or a copperhead strike like coaster id take the latter.  in my opinion the current layout is such a waste for a giga coaster.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WoodVengeance said:

Interesting considering Shambalah and Leviathan opened the same year, yet Leviathan had the 4-across seating.

The 4 across cars handle transitions and curves better because of the shorter length of each car. And I would guess the shorter train length benefits the design as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

i agree with alot of this. if i had the choice between this leaked giga or a copperhead strike like coaster id take the latter.  in my opinion the current layout is such a waste for a giga coaster.

It’s entirely possible that once we see an animation we all sober up and realize we were worked up for nothing. I’ll take this chance to emphasize again how boring layouts look on paper. For anyone who is curious, Google the Diamondback layout and you’ll see what I mean.

That said, the current layout we saw only makes me think “oh no... no...”

The footprint barely looks larger than The Racer from what I’ve seen. It’s understandable to be kinda troubled by that

• Like 6

I agree with both of you. This will be our “flagship” coaster for the next 20 years. I to would have picked a Mack multi launch if I saw these two sitting on a shelf next to each other. Or I would have preferred if they wait a couple years and invest the proper amount of capital to take use of the land we have. I’m sure my mind will change but the talks of it barely if even getting to 300 is concerning.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

It’s entirely possible that once we see an animation we all sober up and realize we were worked up for nothing. I’ll take this chance to emphasize again how boring layouts look on paper. For anyone who is curious, Google the Diamondback layout and you’ll see what I mean.

That said, the current layout we saw only makes me think “oh no... no...”

It barely looks longer than The Racer from what I’ve seen. It’s understandable to be kinda troubled by that

dont get wrong ill likely be one of the first people in line when this giga opens. but as a consumer i am a bit underwelmed. once the official layout is shown maybe we will change our minds

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kenban said:

This is Leviathan 2.0 in every way I can see.  A decent coaster but a waste of money.

I get that the layout appears uninspiring, I do. But Leviathan was named 8th best steel coaster in the world at the Golden Ticket awards this past year, which ranks right in front of Maverick and Diamondback.

There's really a lot we don't know about this yet.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

The layout has to use more of that empty Firehawk space than what we saw in the leak, right guys? Right?

...guys?

We can hope... I feel like we are being played like “The Truman Show”. 

I would agree with one of the posters above about if this was an RMC there wouldn’t be much worry with a small foot print, but the B&M hypers and gigas seem to need a little more space to operate. With that, it’s going back in the woods one would hope it would be beast like in that regard. At this point I believe nothing and still clinging to the hope a lot of us are wrong or missing the obvious.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turtlepower said:

I get that the layout appears uninspiring, I do. But Leviathan was named 8th best steel coaster in the world at the Golden Ticket awards this past year, which ranks right in front of Maverick and Diamondback.

There's really a lot we don't know about this yet.

Yes but a lot of people here were expecting that we’d be getting a #1 coaster and not a #8.... I’m sure it’s going to be a great ride but this ride really feels like a step back from Fury... Cedar Fairs new coasters always are improvements but this doesn’t feel like that at all. 

• Like 5

• malem locked this topic