Decoding 2020

fryoj

If all these mediocre stats that have been decoded are correct, it will be disappointing. I do expect this will have a unique element, but that's it.  I do not believe it will even have a 90 degree drop or any other record breaking element to it, unfortunately. When we were all decoding MT a few years ago when the layout was leaked, the consensus was pretty much the same on this site: Most of us agreed that it was a GCI but wasn't a record breaker and would be similar to Prowler with a unique element or two and unfortunately the unique element was the much overhyped "Shed". I'm afraid this will be no different.

• Like 3

If all these mediocre stats that have been decoded are correct, it will be disappointing. I do expect this will have a unique element, but that's it.  I do not believe it will even have a 90 degree drop or any other record breaking element to it, unfortunately.

Yep. I expect a unique theming element. Think: The Shed (but instead something space-themed as you approach the station).

So, Leviathan with a space-themed routine as the trains sits in the stack upon returning to the station. (It will stack due to the ride only being a minute long).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I think it'll come down to hill sizes to determine this ride's ranking. If hills 2-3-4 are in the 150 ft tall range, we've got leviathan 2.0 and a lot of enthusiasts will melt. If hills 2-3-4 are 75 ft tall, watch out. It could be a hell of a ride. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

If all these mediocre stats that have been decoded are correct, it will be disappointing. I do expect this will have a unique element, but that's it.  I do not believe it will even have a 90 degree drop or any other record breaking element to it, unfortunately. When we were all decoding MT a few years ago when the layout was leaked, the consensus was pretty much the same on this site: Most of us agreed that it was a GCI but wasn't a record breaker and would be similar to Prowler with a unique element or two and unfortunately the unique element was the much overhyped "Shed". I'm afraid this will be no different.

Mystic Timbers is my favorite ride in the park and it's not even close.  Everyone needs to step back from the edge.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

Has anyone at the park been on Beast or WindSeeker yet? Can we confirm there is no additional clearing in the area by Beasts brake run that can’t be seen from Racer and ET?

I rode Racer and Beast and there is no new clearing 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Yes but a lot of people here were expecting that we’d be getting a #1 coaster and not a #8.... I’m sure it’s going to be a great ride but this ride really feels like a step back from Fury... Cedar Fairs new coasters always are improvements but this doesn’t feel like that at all. 

Basically if you aint first, you're last.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdventureExpress35 said:

Fury is still new and a big deal and they don’t want to upstage it so soon.

See I'm not really getting this logic.

Like I've said before, if the design of this coaster was the result of budgetary constraints (which I'm thinking is probably the culprit), then so be it.

But I don't understand why you would want to make sure a coaster isn't "too good" so it doesn't outdo a coaster found at a sister park (one that is 7-8 hours away, and in entirely different regional markets).

If you're making a major investment at any park, why would you not want the result of said investment to be as noteworthy as possible with the amount of money that is allotted?

As for KI's proximity to CP, a Fury-esque B&M giga would not take away from the uniquenss of a record-breaking RMC (Steel Vengenance).

• Like 5

As has been Cedar Fair's Cornerstone, we go the extra mile to build record-setting roller coasters unique by feature and scale
But there are no records being broken here, there is no extra mile, people have said Fury is too new so its not going to break those records, frankly why bother building it then?  A giga coaster is expensive and unnecessary unless its going to end up on top ten lists.  This is Leviathan 2.0 in every way I can see.  A decent coaster but a waste of money.

Im not trying to be rude but yukon striker beat valravn's records. So saying that fury is too new is completely out the window..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, medford said:

Easy solution... If you don't like it, don't ride it.  One less person in front of me :)

This response is getting old. No one is saying they don’t want to ride, everyone is just saying what we’ve seen isn’t ideal and are having a conversation about it. If you can’t tell the difference leave the conversation! 

• Like 4

never said you couldn't criticize it; though its kind of tough to criticize something we haven't seen officially yet, much less rode.  I'm just saying, in the end, if you don't like it, don't ride it.  I haven't riden Drop Tower but once in my life; I haven't been on Invertigo in a decade.  1 person shorter lines for those that do enjoy them.

• Like 7

A few things...

1. How many people criticizing Leviathan have actually ridden Leviathan?

2. Let's actually wait to see the plans before we decide how big of a disappointment it is.  Lines on a piece of paper don't tell the whole story.

3. Height and length are nice stats but there are many examples where a smaller ride is a better ride than a taller ride.  For example, I would pick Griffon at BGW over Valravn.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Turtlepower said:

I get that the layout appears uninspiring, I do. But Leviathan was named 8th best steel coaster in the world at the Golden Ticket awards this past year, which ranks right in front of Maverick and Diamondback.

There's really a lot we don't know about this yet.

I understand but disagree, it does not deserve that number 8 spot, kinda like I feel Diamondback is too highly ranked.  The awards favor parks with high attendance like Kings Island, and Canada's Wonderland.

It not really the layout that bugs me, I think it will be fine.  But a $30+ million dollar coaster this short is just a waste, if it was a different type of ride we would have a 2+ minute long ride with twice as many elements instead of a ride which we will spend as much time on the lift hill as we do on the rest of the ride.  Leviathan takes about 45 seconds to go up the lift hill, and about 45-50 seconds from the top of the lift hill to the brakes.  The lift on Fury is faster and only takes about 40 seconds but the ride lasts 65-70 seconds.

People asking for 75 ft tall hills on this ride have to understand if they are that short its going to burn through the track so fast it will be over in 35-40 seconds.  Its going to be a great 40 seconds but you will hit the brakes and wonder where the rest of the ride is.

I prefer Xcelerator over Kingda Ka, and Top Thrill Dragster for similar reasons.  The launch is more forceful and there is actually a coaster after the top hat.  If Cedar Fair had not been obsessed with building a 400 ft tall coaster the ride could have been amazing with the giant budget it had.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rivertown Rider said:

A few things...

1. How many people criticizing Leviathan have actually ridden Leviathan?

2. Let's actually wait to see the plans before we decide how big of a disappointment it is.  Lines on a piece of paper don't tell the whole story.

3. Height and length are nice stats but there are many examples where a smaller ride is a better ride than a taller ride.  For example, I would pick Griffon at BGW over Valravn.

Besides the restraints I feel Griffon is only better because the lack of top rides around it. Valravn is the 3rd tallest in the park, with 4 other 200+ ft coasters around it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A big example is how Top Thrill Dragster is the tallest in the park and how many people prefer Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Millennium Force even though they are shorter in height. Just because it is not the tallest, doesn't mean it won't be the best. We might be in for a wonderful surprise. 

I don’t think people care about the height that much at this point... I think we’re all mostly surprised at how short this coaster appears to be.

• Like 8

Personally while I really enjoyed Fury I found the pacing towards the end of the ride to really slow down, especially the Helix. This is why I'm not concerned about the length. I'd rather have a little bit of a shorter ride that holds Tt's speed until the breaks rather than one that milds at the end. 

Also anyone thinking a 90 degree drop here, I think that is unrealistic. The dive coaster trains use spring wheels in order to have a 90 degree drop and I don't think that would work in the same way with the mega trains.

The only thing im concerned with at this point is will this ride have a bunch of long drawn out airtime hills like Diamondback or stay low to the ground like fury. If the ride stays low to the ground for the most part and does some cool elements than I will be very excited.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A big example is how Top Thrill Dragster is the tallest in the park and how many people prefer Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Millennium Force even though they are shorter in height. Just because it is not the tallest, doesn't mean it won't be the best. We might be in for a wonderful surprise. 

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't think thats a great comparison, as TTD is an entirely different ride, and by virtue of being a one-trick pony, isn't bound to be many people's favorite in the park anyway.

Same goes for Kingda Ka and Escape From Krypton.

As @Ben43065 points out, more concerned with the length.

• Like 4

^Remember also how dive coasters, you know, dive with a very small crest compared to conventional coasters with 90 degree drops, such as steel vengeance. The main issue isn’t the drop angle, but the crest starting into the drop angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

A point on length made before is that shorter doesn't always mean weaker. Look at RMC coasters. Yes, Steel Vengeance is long, but if you look at many RMC's, they aren't terribly long, but they pack a punch. Also, look at I305. Widely considered one of the best coasters in the world and several enthusiasts #1 and has a shorter track length than Diamondback. It's also shorter than the other gigas in height. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A point on length made before is that shorter doesn't always mean weaker. Look at RMC coasters. Yes, Steel Vengeance is long, but if you look at many RMC's, they aren't terribly long, but they pack a punch. Also, look at I305. Widely considered one of the best coasters in the world and several enthusiasts #1 and has a shorter track length than Diamondback. It's also shorter than the other gigas in height. 

okay but we arent getting a giga from RMC or Intamin. Its a B&M which doesnt really push the envelope like the others do. if we were getting an RMC giga even at this short of track length we would know RMC would squeeze every little element they could into it. it would be an amazing ride. 

• Like 3

• malem locked this topic