Decoding 2020

fryoj

2 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

I’m sorry but if this giga coaster is suffering from “Budget constraints” a launch lift hill would make absolutely zero sense. As cool as it would be there’s a 1% chance they’d actually do it. 

Nailed it. 

• Like 1

There are some major differences between this project and Banshee and Mystic Timbers that may not warrant this project teasers.  Banshee was replacing a pretty famous and, by far, the most polarizing ride in SOB and Mystic Timbers had to have the funnel cake stand be relocated and WWC moving its entrance the season it was being built, both major aesthetic differences.  This project is kinda off the beaten path as X-Base is a dead end already.    

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thane Of Price Hill said:

Not sure that would provide enough current. According to this https://www.coaster101.com/2016/07/20/coasters-101-launch-coasters-store-energy/, a regular lift hill motor works on about 200 amps while a launch could use up to 4000 amps. 

That also explains more about how various launches work such as Thunderbird, Incredible Hulk’s original launch, TTD and Lightning Rod. 

Meh. They would typically use a capacitor bank rather than put that amount of current onto the electrical system. It's really difficult to coordinate the power system constantly putting 4000A on all at once. Not to mention the cost building the infrastructure to handle it. 

• Like 2

There are some major differences between this project and Banshee and Mystic Timbers that may not warrant this project teasers.  Banshee was replacing a pretty famous and, by far, the most polarizing ride in SOB and Mystic Timbers had to have the funnel cake stand be relocated and WWC moving its entrance the season it was being built, both major aesthetic differences.  This project is kinda off the beaten path as X-Base is a dead end already.    

I also think it’s worth mentioning that the gp seems much more aware/hyped for this coaster than the last two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I've said this many times before, but I believe Diamondback didn't start teasing until July.

I think you're right. I can't find any signage for DB construction till later. BUT there were footings since day one :o
And by May 10th, there were very clear signs of what the station and splash area would be like:
https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=566765

https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=578046

(sorry KIC, these were the photos that came up through Google search :p )

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EngineerX said:

Meh. They would typically use a capacitor bank rather than put that amount of current onto the electrical system. It's really difficult to coordinate the power system constantly putting 4000A on all at once. Not to mention the cost building the infrastructure to handle it. 

Do you work in power engineering? This strikes me as the type of intuition only a substation engineer would have  

• Like 2

Edit due to my device saving my previous post and resubmitting when I tried to reply... 

With the elements compared side by side to existing rides I think this would be a great addition. 

Obligatory 'If it's the real layout' 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTW said:

I'm a long time member, but my activity is very low when there's nothing BIG going on... 

I just logged in to say that this is exciting and with so much information on the internet these days it seems that the code is already nearly broken, or is it? 

It feels like the code is somewhat broken, with a lot of question marks here and there.

We know it will be a giga. We know it’s B&M. We know where in the park it will be built. Those are about the only things we can guarantee right now. 

The leaked layout has been a source of consternation for many of us so far. The sources are dubious and super weird, so as far as I’m concerned, believing it is either real or fake is totally fair game. I am personally a fence sitter.

Even if we accept the layout is real, there’s still a ton of question marks. We don’t know exactly how tall it will be, we don’t know how fast, we don’t know how long the track is, we have only a vague sense of what elements will be present. The layout and current info tells us very little about any of this - all it provides are some super rough estimates.

We have somewhat cracked the code, but the big question so far is “what will the giga actually do?

In my opinion, that’s like 75% of the equation here. Until one of us finds more blueprints, we’re given teasers, or are fed some drip of information, all we’re doing is having fun spitballing

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

Do you work in power engineering? This strikes me as the type of intuition only a substation engineer would have  

Actually this is exactly what we did when building Tomb Raider the ride, behind the building on the second landing of the staircase leading to the control room was a massive bank of capacitors to drive the great energy consumption of the motors on the gondola. Every time the gondola would dive you would hear a loud screech come from the capacitor banks.  

• Like 2

You know, all this talk of a giga is exciting but I'm still hung up on the things they put under SoB's gravestone last year. 

I can accept that the "Five Is Alive" flyer was just a nerdy designer's nod to an old ride, but the whole grave thing still sits weird with me.

Why did they put a pile of wood and some tools next to a Son of Beast thing and then turn around and build, well, not Son of Beast? Unless the super generic Polaris and Orion names are super tricky four-dimensional chess red herrings and they'll revive SoB in name only. I guess I could see a record-setting cutting edge giga being the son of a record-setting cutting edge woodie. A logical evolution.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I wonder, where does Leviathan rank at in the 4 Giga coasters in North America?  If this is Leviathan 2.0, then it would hopefully be better, and if its some people's #2,  our new coaster might be able to take that spot, right below Fury! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

Electrical engineer by trade. Worked specifically on power transmission / distribution in a past life (utility sector), but not currently. Now my expertise is controls and automation (outside of the utility industry). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

I do, and this is correct. Capacitor banks are common practice anymore to even out loads. I think even Delirium has one, and uses the electric motors as generators at the end of the ride cycle, effectively braking/slowing the ride and recovering some of that power. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AdventureExpress35 said:

Still not sure why they’re not using the former SOB area behind Banshee for this project. If they went back there, then track length would not be a problem. Lack of money I guess? But if that’s the case then why not wait another year when you can afford something bigger?

Better yet, why not wait another 2 years and save even more money and make something massive for the park’s 50th.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Better yet, why not wait another 2 years and save even more money and make something massive for the park’s 50th.

Money is not the issue. Cedar Fair has plenty of financial resources. It is the fact that CF does not want to outdo CP and Carowinds. KI will continue to get very good investments in terms of rollercoasters and other attractions, just not record breaking coasters. This new coaster will probably still cost somewhere between 26-28 million. Fury was 30 million. The extra couple of million less in cost is not that significant for CF to "go the extra mile" and build something massive. That is just not in their plans for KI for reasons dealing with different market capability and proximity of parks to one another.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mokujo said:

You know, all this talk of a giga is exciting but I'm still hung up on the things they put under SoB's gravestone last year. 

I can accept that the "Five Is Alive" flyer was just a nerdy designer's nod to an old ride, but the whole grave thing still sits weird with me.

Why did they put a pile of wood and some tools next to a Son of Beast thing and then turn around and build, well, not Son of Beast? Unless the super generic Polaris and Orion names are super tricky four-dimensional chess red herrings and they'll revive SoB in name only. I guess I could see a record-setting cutting edge giga being the son of a record-setting cutting edge woodie. A logical evolution.

I see Steel Vengenance as the modern day equivalent to Son of Beast, but that’s just me.

EDIT: But yeah, something that makes this Giga “cutting-edge” would be cool.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AdventureExpress35 said:

Still not sure why they’re not using the former SOB area behind Banshee for this project. If they went back there, then track length would not be a problem. Lack of money I guess? But if that’s the case then why not wait another year when you can afford something bigger?

Was wondering this too... Just by looking at the pics it doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. Clear just a bit more trees and voila... More land. Must have their hearts set on something else going back there later on. Ohh well. 

• Like 4

Just now, ClikClakDiamondback said:

Was wondering this too... Just by looking at the pics it doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. Clear just a bit more trees and voila... More land. Ohh well... Must have their hearts set on something else going back there later on. Or like you said.. Money is playing a factor. Ohh well. 

I think the reason they are putting the new one in the  back is because they dont really have much going on back there and not many people go to coney mall anymore as all the new flagship attractions are elsewhere. I mean they have obviously been revamping coney mall lately so I think they are trying to bring people back to that section of the park.

• Like 2

I think Cedar Fair has done pretty good with the park, overall.  I don't think the park would be anywhere near the level its at right now, if it was owned by someone like Six Flags.  If we want Cedar Fair to give us a little bigger coasters, they need to see more roi,  that means we need to buy more of everything that what they're selling,  and help them anyway we can.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

I don't believe the whole Cedar Fair only wants to make CP and Carowinds the main parks. If they did then why did KI go bigger and better with Diamondback, and Banshee.

Carowinds went bigger the year after DB opened in 2009 when they built their hyper coaster- Intimidator in 2010. Intimidator is higher and longer than DB. When Banshee was built in 2014, it was a very good KI addition, but in 2015, Carowinds built the highest, fastest Giga in world- Fury 325. In 2017 KI made yet another good, but not great addition IMO with Mystic Timbers. The following year CP opened Steel Vengeance, which IS a great addition. CP management have said that they want to invest more at these parks due to per capita spending and market capability, etc. I still think KI could push the 4 million attendance mark with all of it's potential being so close to so many other major markets though.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Firehawk's removal says Hi.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Firehawk's removal says Hi.

The GP aren't gonna miss Firehawk like they do with SOB and X-Base is still an out of the way location enough to not be as visible as the Banshee and MT projects unless they go on rides, which, the GP aren't actively looking for construction stuff like we are.  

• Like 7

Also Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers construction fences were closer to heavy traffic areas. Too add to that, I don’t remember Kings Island making a big deal when Firehawk was being built either. They made the announcement sometime after the 2007 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• malem locked this topic