Decoding 2020

fryoj

Just now, SonofBaconator said:

I think the argument many fans have is "if its smaller or around the same length as Diamondback then what's the point?" I don't think its about being better than others but rather improving on what we already have.

Agreed!!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 6

I think the argument many fans have is "if its smaller or around the same length as Diamondback then what's the point?" I don't think its about being better than others but rather improving on what we already have.

Exactly, does 70ft taller than Diamondback and a shorter length really make it that great of an uprgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, DonkeyKong said:

Exactly, does 70ft taller than Diamondback and a shorter length really make it that great of an uprgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not really. That is why everyone one here is hoping for a really long ride.

• Like 4

People are getting a little too worked up about this. I understand where everyone is coming from, but at the end of the day it's just a rollercoaster. It will be fun. It will be new. It will be big. It won't be "just like Diamondback".

Don't get too worked up, because everyone is overthinking this 1000%. :) 

EDIT: But I love the debate just don't get too frazzled 

• Like 15

14 hours ago, silver2005 said:

The GP aren't gonna miss Firehawk like they do with SOB and X-Base is still an out of the way location enough to not be as visible as the Banshee and MT projects unless they go on rides, which, the GP aren't actively looking for construction stuff like we are.  

They going to miss it more than the relocated Funnel Cake hut and WWC entrance you referenced?

2 hours ago, presto123 said:

Probably been covered before, but why such a big hurry to get land cleared when footings are probably not going to be started for at least 3 or 4 more months? Does anybody think they will start long before announcement date?

Footers will probably start going in this week since it's supposed to be dry. They will start putting up supports right after the announcement date. 

• Like 2

If the new coaster is not 300 feet tall, it would be a big deal for marketing.  This is why despite the evidence so far, I feel it has to be taller.

If it is not 300 feet, it would need to have some sort of other "gimmick" which would make it different from Diamondback.  Otherwise it is just a "slightly taller and faster Diamondback".  It is a very normal thing for a new ride to be compared to other rides at the same park, especially when pointing out what the new ride offers that is new. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

If the new coaster is not 300 feet tall, it would be a big deal for marketing.  This is why despite the evidence so far, I feel it has to be taller.

If it is not 300 feet, it would need to have some sort of other "gimmick" which would make it different from Diamondback.  Otherwise it is just a "slightly taller and faster Diamondback".  It is a very normal thing for a new ride to be compared to other rides at the same park, especially when pointing out what the new ride offers that is new. 

There’s very little doubt it’ll be 300 feet. The question is exactly how far over 300

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RuthlessAirtime said:

There’s very little doubt it’ll be 300 feet. The question is exactly how far over 300

I agree, it would be hard to sell a coaster that's, say 280ft, as opposed to one that's 300ft+. I think the biggest defining factors of this ride are gonna be the heighth and the length. If the heighth doesn't exceed 300ft people will feel some sort of way. Actually, I think the length is the more important factor.

Track length is one of the few things KI prides itself on, heck we break records with length, so if this new attraction isn't longer than Diamondback I can underatand people's negative criticisms and quickness to judge. The bar has been set so high with coasters like Banshee, Fury 325, Yukon Striker, etc that its hard to accept when a high CF teir park goes under the usual bar.

Then again, I think we as enthusiasts need a little bit of hindsight when looking at new additons. Our perspectives might be completely different than that of the average GP guest who's never ridden a 300ft tall coaster before.

A giga at KI has been hyped since the addition of Leviathan in 2012. Heck the idea of a giga at KI has been mainstreamed so much in the amusement community that we've had 100+ page threads about it, dozens of Nolimits2 concepts, and countless microsoft paint concepts. Some concepts seen online are beautiful but seem a bit much, especially for a park like KI.

I think with 8 years of hype, people are bound to be disappointed in some form or another. I think one KIC member coined the phrase "anticipointment" after the contents of the Mystic Timbers shed were revealed and you can argue many of us are feeling the same way after seeing the leaked blueprints. We finally got a touch reality after letting our imaginations get too far ahead of ourselves.

I say its still early in the season and we should be happy we're even talking about a coaster addition in the 1st place.

• Like 16

I'm with you @SonofBaconator on everything except for the last part where you say we should be happy were even talking about a new coaster addition at all. Yes we can be happy we even get to open our eyes in the morning.

But that's not how business works. Kings Island can either choose to compete for money from customers..or not. Yes they can turn the whole park into dark rides and attempt to be Disney Midwest, but I wouldn't go. Maybe that's the most profitable strategy for them..or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Track length is one of the few things KI prides itself on, heck we break records with length, so if this new attraction isn't longer than Diamondback I can underatand people's negative criticisms and quickness to judge. The bar has been set so high with coasters like Banshee, Fury 325, Yukon Striker, etc that its hard to accept when a high CF teir park goes under the usual bar.

The only reason I have any reservations about any of this is because of that layout. I’ve looked at it so many times and I’m totally failing to convince myself it‘s not weirdly short. The only thing that would really make it super long are stretches of truly enormous airtime hills, in which case, that just feels like a bigger Diamondback, does it not?

As always, time will tell. While the layout and height calculations are a bit of a bummer seeing as they seem to suggest we won’t break any stats records, I would be okay with this if the full layout ends up being an insane ride experience.

Just look at El Toro for example. That layout would look weird if it was presented the way ours was, yet that thing is a fierce airtime machine and is beloved by many. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still excited, just puzzled by the layout. Hoping someone can dig something else up from city hall in the coming days and give us a few more pieces here.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Our perspectives might be completely different than that of the average GP guest who's never ridden a 300ft tall coaster before.

Exactly. I think the community tends to forget what an extremely small percentage of guests think about these things like we do. Roughly 99.9999% could care less how it compares to Fury. Heck, most probably don't even know Fury exists at all. I also think that (and I fully admit that I have never seen data on this particular topic) some of you are vastly overestimating the number of guests that regularly visit both CP and KI. 

The idea that, in 2019, the stats of any CF addition are being dictated by what has or is going to occur at another park in the chain is laughable. The stats of a ride in Charlotte or Toronto are not dictating the stats of this ride. 

• Like 7

Don't get me wrong. I want a giga and I want it to be as tall as it can be, but are record-breakers the only thing that brings you to the parkLast year, I lost my father, and things haven't exactly been going smoothly lately. The two times I've been to the park this have year, I have felt whole. I didn't even ride very many rides, I just enjoyed being there and having fun, trying to make the most out of every day. I doubt this coaster being below or above 300ft will take that away from me. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

Can someone clear this up for me a bit? Are the leaked ride layout blueprints still in question on if the're real or not? I thought they were confirmed fake. Also, The footer blueprints are real, right?

Footer blueprints are definitely real. As for the layout, it's not confirmed but it seems that most here believe they are legit, but I have no idea myself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Question that anyone could answer. What if the attraction was closer to 300ft in heighth and 5,000ft in length as opposed to say Fury 325 or Millennium Force; would you guys feel robbed? Or would you guys rather be grateful for what we get? I've been hearing mixed reviews on reddit, YouTube, and other sites that are talking about the leaked blueprints and wanted to know your guy's honest opinions.

I’d be fine with something like Leviathan. Happy as a clam.

• Like 2

Just now, AdventureExpress35 said:

I’d be fine with something like Leviathan. Happy as a clam.

I've never ridden Leviathan, but I hear it's incredible. I do hope though that they make this something unique, something you can only get at KI. Stats are one thing, but if this thing is going to be smaller than others, I feel like it really does need to pack a punch. It can't just be Leviathan, It needs to set itself apart. Just my 2 cents, but at the end of the day, I'm going to be in line for this thing as much as possible when it opens.

• Like 8

Our perspectives might be completely different than that of the average GP guest who's never ridden a 300ft tall coaster before.

I can count the number of gigas I've ridden on one finger, and that's Millennium Force. I can no longer afford to travel to the other parks. My last trip to Cedar Point was over a decade ago and my last trip to any park outside KI was Holiday World two or three years ago. I'll probably never experience Fury or Leviathan. So I will be happy if "Project X" is a giga, even if it is only 301ft. I will be happy if it isn't even that. A new experience is enough to excite me. Does that make me less of an enthusiast? Perhaps, but life is too short to care about that. 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Does that make me less of an enthusiast?

Not at all. That kind of elitism some display is kind of toxic. Trust me, you aren't alone in the department of not being able to afford the luxury to travel for coasters. DB is a pretty great ride IMO, so I'm sure something taller and (hopefully) designed to be more intense will be a great addition to the park. Most of my hesitation, and I imagine many others here, is that we don't want the one and only Giga we're likely to get at our favorite park to be something less than what it could be. All of this really comes down to everyone's love of Kings Island, and wanting it to be one of those parks that people who love this kind of thing feel like that have to visit.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

All of this really comes down to everyone's love of Kings Island, and wanting it to be one of those parks that people who love this kind of thing feel like that have to visit.

I would love for it to be a record-breaker. I want this thing to go as high as it go for as long as it can go. But even if it isn't the tallest, fastest, longest, sexiest rollercoaster,  I think it is worth getting excited over. For one thing, it is bringing a new experience to a section of the park that needs some sprucing up. With it hopefully comes some real estate for restrooms, a dining option, and fingers-crossed, maybe someday a flat or dark ride.  

• Like 8

• malem locked this topic