Decoding 2020

fryoj

9 minutes ago, Jt2455 said:

We all need to accept that the layout is probably known at this point. I just don't understand why it's so short when they have so much land. Maybe they prove us wrong though. Guess we'll find out.

Money?  The cost of steel has risen a lot of the past few years. 

• Like 2

The cost of steel has gone up in the last few years, but it is still cheaper than when Diamondback was built. Granted this doesn't go back to 2009, but while it has "gone up" it isn't a drastic increase in the 7 year average.

Steel.png

• Like 8

12 hours ago, corn4ahead said:

If anyone was quick to call this the worst giga, let me just remind y'all of 2006/2007.

Maverick.

People were ANGRY. "What the heck is that ride?!?" It seemed as though everyone was hoping for some kind of huge, record-smashing coaster. Mind you, this was the first coaster after TTD.

Expectations were so high and then the announcement came. I will admit it. I was crushed. "Really?" "That's it?"

Fast forward a few months. MIND BLOWN. 

One of the absolute best coasters on the planet.

That is all.

Maverick also as a good ride length and more than just an out and back layout. There isn't a lot going on with this supposed leaked layout. Sure be better than maybe Leviathan but the ride will be over before you know it.

• Like 3

Money?  The cost of steel has risen a lot of the past few years. 

Perhaps so. IF that is indeed a driver for such a decision, I personally would have preferred waiting another season to save for building something bigger that “tops” Fury, rather than building a coaster on a tight budget. JMO.
  • Like 4

I don't think Cedar Fair wants us to build something to top Fury as Cedar Point is the flagship park 3.5 hours away and will always get preferential treatment. If our giga was the best in the world it would take away from Cedar Point and also the markets are pretty similar so we wouldn't get much growth either.

• Like 3

Maybe the theming for this is on a greater scale than we think. 

Lets take a step back a winter or so ago. Wasn’t the word “giga” shoveled in the snow in view of the cameras at Mystic Timbers? Then there are connections between the lumber company and attractions throughout the chain? 

Maybe the names Orion and Polaris are simply the names of the coaster cars on this new attraction and the “location” of where this coaster travels.

Even the FOF video states “come with us, follow our paths across the cosmos and discover that which lies beyond this mortal sphere”.

this attraction goes to the furthest reaches of the frozen universe and brings back all of the mysterious creatures that inhabit the CF parks, monsters and guests alike.

It travels at the “speed of light” and delivers the  aliens back to KI to be “delivered” to the other parks. After all, “outpost 5 is alive”.

• Like 5

I don't think Cedar Fair wants us to build something to top Fury as Cedar Point is the flagship park 3.5 hours away and will always get preferential treatment. If our giga was the best in the world it would take away from Cedar Point and also the markets are pretty similar so we wouldn't get much growth either.
Again I feel this is s bad business model, to not ever let one park out do the other just because it's within a 4 hour drive of the other. They want more visitors everywhere not just at a select few parks. Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 hours ago, fryoj said:

Yellow is the storage shed. Red is the Transfer Track. Black is the station. Blue is the base of the lift. The codes on the footer plan match up exactly with the MCT tack markings at CSF that have been posted on here. On your pic, you have where the train leaves the transfer track and enters the station lined up with the base of Fury's lift. 

I get that theres a lot of pages here and people skip or skim and miss things, but this is the layout of the station area. 

layout.jpg

This. 100%. And remember that this was pulled straight from the Mason Municipal Building, so we know it's legit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Logan said:

:blink: Fury is at Carowinds. In North Carolina.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

:blink: Fury is at Carowinds. In North Carolina.

Yeah but if our giga was better than Fury it would probably be better than anything at CP and take away from it. Also Carowinds has much more potential for growth than KI does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Logan said:

Yeah but if our giga was better than Fury it would probably be better than anything at CP and take away from it. Also Carowinds has much more potential for growth than KI does.

But doesn't that mean that Fury is better than anything at CP and takes away from it? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jt2455 said:

We all need to accept that the layout is probably known at this point. I just don't understand why it's so short when they have so much land. Maybe they prove us wrong though. Guess we'll find out.

It's most likely that 1) This was bought at the same time as the CGA hyper/other capital projects (and then it got cancelled, but the transaction still took place) or 2) There's going to be many projects for 2020 in general and KI had a limited budget to work with, it was either Giga now or years/decades after (remember, 5 year plans always change, nothing is set in stone). But again, even if this Giga is shorter than the others, it all depends on the elements. I'm sure it's going to be short and sweet, just like Levi, but it always depends on what will the coaster layout offer. 

• Like 2

So I believe it’s gonna be something major. Look at all the new hotels “randomly” building this year. Plus the additions of dorms, and a campground(not ki owned but near by). One of the hotels even is themed similar to breakers. (tru by Hilton). They must be expecting more travelers to be coming for a record breaking ride or something.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DeltaFlyer said:

On the plus side, we know we will be getting 3 trains!

It's not necessarily true. You're probably right, given the scale of this coaster and the park it's going in, but just because there are 3 storage tracks, it's not gaurenteed that there will be 3 trains. Chang was built with a triple storage track area, but it only had 2 trains while it was at SFKK. There's probably other B&M examples out the, but that's the only one I'm very familiar with. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

It's not necessarily true. You're probably right, given the scale of this coaster and the park it's going in, but just because there are 3 storage tracks, it's not guaranteed that there will be 3 trains. Chang was built with a triple storage track area, but it only had 2 trains while it was at SFKK. There's probably other B&M examples out the, but that's the only one I'm very familiar with. 

I think that's the key phrase in that statement :P

• Like 5

I am pretty sure Cedar Fair will do what makes them the most money breaking records or not. 

That will certainly be the intention. No doubt about that.

Having spent my career in LEAN and studying the DMAIC approach to project implementation, it is incredibly easy even for the best of the best to miss out on the project that brings the most return.

Even with the best modeling, and the smartest guys in the room, it isn’t always as easy as it sounds to “make the most money”.

• Like 5

On 5/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, McSalsa said:

Smaller parks like Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom just don't have the money to blow on a 300-foot roller coaster.

They could afford other types of coasters though. Holiday world spent $22 million on Thunderbird where as CP payed $21 million for Maverick so I think the money's there for Holiday World's sake. I don't know if HW got the ROI they wanted or not but they got something to differentiate themselves from KI. HW might get another big coaster like a Dive or something that KI doesn't have which would certainly keep them competitive.

• Like 5

• malem locked this topic