Decoding 2020

fryoj

As someone who’s not well versed in construction, I’m just wondering why a maintenance building would need individual footers on a flat plot of land instead of a large concrete pad. Perhaps the pad is coming later, but I saw them pouring footers there. :huh:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DustinTheNow said:

That’s an excellent question. It all depends on how much they modified the land post tree removal. Based on the terrain, pre-tree removal, I found it hard to get the coaster to a 310 ft drop. 

E9463AA8-6210-42B5-A18D-F691EB237E59.jpeg

if this image is to be taken into account, it looks like they “smoothed” the grade from the “north section” of Dinosaurs Alive Path to the ravine. If this is indeed the case, I can see another 10-20 ft added to the drop. So it is entirely possible this coaster has a 323 ft drop as the name Polaris may indicate (being 323 light years away from Earth). 

Unfortunately, it is more likely the coaster is 285 ft tall with a 301 ft drop (Kings Island will call it a giga still) then it would be 305 ft tall with a 323 ft drop. (This is assuming the lift and drop is identical in shape to fury and is scaled by some factor to “fit it” to the “proper” height. I can go over the math if you’d like, lol

However, if this is the steepest giga at 85 degrees we can easily get a 305-315 ft tall coaster with a 315+ ft drop.

Considering we will see the lift construction first, before the rest of the coaster takes shape (based on the permit drawings) we will know a LOT more about this coaster in the next 2 months.

Here are some other angles of the ravine I took while at coaster stock 

IMG_4656.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, JCoaster25 said:

As someone who’s not well versed in construction, I’m just wondering why a maintenance building would need individual footers on a flat plot of land instead of a large concrete pad. Perhaps the pad is coming later, but I saw them pouring footers there. :huh:

c732f7be232961fd5f60398f6e551da4.jpg My guess is, there's a need to raise the floor above grade.

• Like 17

43 minutes ago, sikkinixx99 said:

Either pole barn storage shed or transfer track

Photo_1558186095857.thumb.jpg.fc39c89602a779c04b5c32be4af7dcde.jpg

The lack of conduit stubbing up thru the pad makes me doubt this could be a maintenance shed (plus it feels relatively small for a maintenance shed.  Transfer track?  Possibly as the electric could come up the side later and trenched/installed later, but based upon the locaiton, I doubt that.  Restaurant? no way: no plumbing.  Maintenance/seasonal storage, good possibility.  Haunt - maybe.

Could be an offseason storage spot for the new tiques....

• Like 10

Even slabs need footers otherwise the concrete would just break around the edges when the building, slab, or ground shifts. Usually for post beam construction, the building will go on the footers alone and the slab will be floating. This reduces the chances of the concrete slab cracking as the building and the slab can move independently. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DustinTheNow said:

if this image is to be taken into account, it looks like they “smoothed” the grade from the “north section” of Dinosaurs Alive Path to the ravine. If this is indeed the case, I can see another 10-20 ft added to the drop. So it is entirely possible this coaster has a 323 ft drop as the name Polaris may indicate (being 323 light years away from Earth). 

Unfortunately, it is more likely the coaster is 285 ft tall with a 301 ft drop (Kings Island will call it a giga still) then it would be 305 ft tall with a 323 ft drop. (This is assuming the lift and drop is identical in shape to fury and is scaled by some factor to “fit it” to the “proper” height. I can go over the math if you’d like, lol

However, if this is the steepest giga at 85 degrees we can easily get a 305-315 ft tall coaster with a 315+ ft drop.

So entirely possible the drop is bigger than Fury's (320 ft.), but the height is shorter. So who gets bragging rights?

Shouldn't marketing just get out there and dig a 30 foot hole under the peak of the lift hill so they can say their's is taller too? 

I wonder if they'll add a tunnel element through the ravine just to give it the feeling of going underground.

• Like 6

Honestly I don’t get the whole argument on how the giga needs to be over 300 feet and not just have a 300 foot drop. If it were me, I would take a 285 foot tall giga with a 305 foot drop any day over a 300 foot giga with a 290 foot drop. The longer the drop the better... you want a longer drop as opposed to a taller coaster with a shorter drop because everyone likes a good lengthy drop that seems to go on forever. Also, the longer the drop, the faster the coaster can go. I know that some people want it to be at least 300 feet tall for marketing purposes, but in the end, the length of the drop is all you will notice as a rider!

• Like 11

I don't see this as being for the coaster because according to the plans there are 3x4 footers for the storage with some down the center, and 2x4 footers for the transfer track, in the pictures there are somewhere around 5x5 x's around the perimeter, with nothing down the middle. Not to mention, anything for the footers will most likely be dug down, then poured, these look like they are being poured directly at ground level. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, jcovelli said:
Maybe someone should head down to Clermont Steel with a few cases of beer and see who's willing to talk lol. 

I got a friend on Facebook that works there, but i’m not close enough to just message him and be like “so uh let me see them plans”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0919594ebeedfdb5ee77bb4fe7b8f9f2.jpg
On my way home from Cedar Point, saw this, giga is for sure gonna be named this now
CONFIRMED

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, thatguyfromohio said:

On my way home from Cedar Point, saw this, giga is for sure gonna be named this now
CONFIRMED

You know... it would make a ton of sense for them to name a "possible" new coaster "Shooting Star."  It actually works on multiple levels...  a nod to history, fits the Coney/XBase space theme etc etc etc.

If it ran with 2 trains... (unlikely, but maybe...) Polaris and Orion.

Just sayin'...

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

You know... it would make a ton of sense for them to name the coaster "Shooting Star."  It actually works on multiple levels...  a nod to history, fits the Coney/XBase space theme etc etc etc.

People are "speculating" it will not have a mid-course brake run, so that could mean 2 trains... Polaris and Orion.

Just sayin'...

Two super long trains... I wonder how well that would work. Obviously no loose articles, but the chances per train of guests needing assistance would go up. 

• Like 3

There would still be three trains even if there was no MCBR. One on the course, one on the brake run, one in the station. The brake run would just have two block sections, which most B&M's do already anyway. If nothing else, they would want three and have one as a backup if one goes down. Banshee has no MCBR and three trains.. It would work the same way.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JCoaster25 said:

Looked at it again. It occurred to me like someone else said that Coaster footers are typically pre-dug with rebar in the ground. That’s not what these are.

the coaster footers are also square / rectangle which no one seemed to notice or catch..

• Like 7

Looked at it again. It occurred to me like someone else said that Coaster footers are typically pre-dug with rebar in the ground. That’s not what these are.

Maybe these aren’t done yet, but maybe they are gonna drill, because the markers said pier, which in construction terms is a buried Column.d1f8ff4cf25e234428af70559123dcf2.jpg

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I didn't even think whether having a higher hill or a higher drop would be debatable. What makes the ride is the drop height! 

Yukon Striker is the same height as Valravn but it has a longer drop. 

I think KI could land the "longest drop" title if the ravine is about 15ft+ deep

• Like 7

I think KI could land the "longest drop" title if the ravine is about 15ft+ deep

*longest lift hill drop
But I believe the ravine is about 20’ deep, with the possibility of it being expanded too

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jcovelli said:

It's probably gonna be 299' high with a 299' drop.. and we'll have to wait another 10 years for our giga.

Maybe someone should head down to Clermont Steel with a few cases of beer and see who's willing to talk lol. 

Awesome! KI will get at least 3 records then: Highest, fastest Hyper and only park with two B&M hypers!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JCoaster25 said:

Sure!

The cylindrical molds for the footers have been placed in the ground around part of the gravel plot. Concrete is being poured as we speak. This is really interesting because if this is where the transfer shed is going or something similar, the supposed leaked plans for the full layout aren’t accurate since they show it on the other side of Flight of Fear. Things are getting interesting.

3 hours ago, JCoaster25 said:

It is absolutely not part of the coaster. No chance for many reasons. Not the least of which is if those posts were for column support, they'd have bolts tied into the rebar and sticking up out of the hole. Those bolts would tie the post to the concrete. You can get away with hammer drilling or Tapcons on a small building, but not something the size of a coaster shed. 

This looks like the start of a pole barn to me. The purpose of that pole barn we may never know. 

3 hours ago, KevM86 said:

If this is transfer track location, would it basically confirm that the layout is fake? Or should I keep being a Debbie downer?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keep on Debbie. Keep on. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thatguyfromohio said:

I got a friend on Facebook that works there, but i’m not close enough to just message him and be like “so uh let me see them plans”

CONFIRMED

Those were just letters left for a certain politician that originally said POS LIAR! #Rearranged :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

It's pretty hard to be exact at this moment with the tools we have, but it does also look like the horizontal distance from the peak of the lift hill to the first valley is about 50ish feet longer on this than it is on Fury. Could mean a longer drop or different angle of descent though. So hard to tell, but it will be interesting to find out where this falls.

• Like 3

Just got off blue racer, footing height is about 3-4 inches above the grass. Usually cement flooring is 4” thick (ref: from all the garages I’ve helped with)
Oh ya, those who follow my posts, I was just at Cedar Point a few hours ago also had to get my second meal deal

• Like 7

• malem locked this topic