Decoding 2020

fryoj

Just now, lifetimecoaster said:

I don't want to be the one to tell you, but these are the actual plans. The PDF didly someone shared was easily faked, but working blueprints cost money, and as much as KI likes to troll with teasers and what not, filing fake working prints with the city for something like this is a cost that's not worth playing with people's minds. 

Welp, at least we’re getting a Giga. Kinda feels like we’re getting the short end of the stick on this one. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Meh, it could be worse when you really get down to the brass tacks of it. Positives, it IS in fact a Giga, it IS in fact a B&M, and they build good coasters. I'm excited to see what it becomes, and more so excited to ride it.

True, haven’t truly ridden a coaster by B&M that I’ve been disappointed by.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Meh, it could be worse when you really get down to the brass tacks of it. Positives, it IS in fact a Giga, it IS in fact a B&M, and they build good coasters. I'm excited to see what it becomes, and more so excited to ride it.

I see it this way: Diamondback has a perfect first half. Then you might as well get out and walk back after the MCBR.  Even if it’s “short” then it still can be a hell of a ride.

• Like 6

So for clarification, is a coaster a giga based of lift hill height or total drop? 

At coasterstock during The Beast feud the question was asked “What is the tallest height of The Beast?” Answer was 110, which is the height of the first lift hill. So, if this is a 285 lift hill, for the sake of aurgment this is its height regardless of the drop making it a hyper with a giga height drop?

• Like 5

Something tells me we will see teasers pop up really quick now. 

One can only hope... we obviously know that the station itself is a hanger theme.. but it's going to be fun figuring out the rest nonetheless

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Ya the layout looks basic. But we can’t see all the elements. I think we have an airtime monster that’ll have more airtime than diamond back, with lateral airtime. Which is an amazing feeling itself.

I’ve yet to ride a b&m and actually hated it. Each ride is different in their own way, which can make them better.

I trust that they will do something that’ll make this giga amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

More I look at this, this won't be a DB 2.0. Almost every single turn on here, the safety boundary around the track overlaps the track itself, suggesting very steep banking. Some of these look overbanked, certainly at 90deg+, but hard to say at the moment. The trains will be flying thru every turn.

Below are turns in order with very steep banking. 

turn1.png

turn2.png

turn3.png

turn5.png

turn4.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Waltny said:

So for clarification, is a coaster a giga based of lift hill height or total drop? 

Giga is not an official term used by B&M.  It was coined by Intamin during the building of Millennium Force.  Personally I think lift and drop both qualify.  The drop is more important in my opinion.  Consider the reaction if the lift was 305' and the drop was 280'.

Let's not forget how much B&M worked with Kings Island on Banshee in terms of using the topography of the land.  The numbers may not be spectacular on paper, but this will be a 100% custom creation for Kings Island.

• Like 11

This has been bugging me a lot and I'm sure it doesn't mean anything other than just some assumptions by the drafter but the queue for FoF is using the old Firehawk queue in these prints. I haven't been to the park on a busy day for easily 11+ years but does FoF get a big enough line on those few days a year to need this? lol

queue.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, supertrooper said:

I realize it comes off sounding like an entitled brat to say that I'm disappointed, but I am disappointed. Yeah, it's a giga, but just barely. And I wouldn't even mind the height if the layout looked a little more inspired, but I don't see anything interesting about it. Yeah, yeah, I know: "Don't ride it then. One less person in line for me. Blah blah blah". I'll ride it, and I'll probably enjoy it, but it just seems like a waste of potential.

Dissapointed on a ride that hasn't even been announced or had footers poured? It doesn't have to be a long ride for it to be good. I305 isn't a long ride, and its fantastic. Mystic isn't long and it's fine. Do you think that this ride is being designed by a 5 year old on RCT3? These are professionals, they know what they're doing.

Don't judge it on a layout of a blueprint. Mystic's layout didnt look like much, either.

• Like 7

I was a bit disappointed by the height, but the “giga” term is really just an arbitrary marketing tactic that only enthusiasts will care about. It will still be one of the tallest coasters on the planet, far taller than Diamondback, so it likely won’t be an issue with the majority of guests visiting the park anymore than it would be if the height was >300 feet.

• Like 6

I was disappointed last year when they announced the antique cars.  I still think they are pretty lame.  I am very excited for this!  I don’t care if it’s not a record breaker. It’s still huge and will undoubtedly be bad ass. I haven’t been this excited for a coaster since they opened Son of Beast. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, ethancoaster said:

I was a bit disappointed by the height, but the “giga” term is really just an arbitrary marketing tactic that only enthusiasts will care about. It will still be one of the tallest coasters on the planet, far taller than Diamondback, so it likely won’t be an issue with the majority of guests visiting the park anymore than it would be if the height was >300 feet.

I dont think 30 feet makes that much a difference. Especially since the drop will be long.

4 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

I was disappointed last year when they announced the antique cars.  I still think they are pretty lame.

giphy (35).gif

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, thatguyfromohio said:

30d2c9ed06181f9a60aea340c280db18.jpg
A to scale layout. I think it’s gonna be bigger than we expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortly before all the action happened today, I was working on a scale-corrected image of the 'leaked' layout. Since we know it's legit now, I'm not worried about posting it. Overlapping both images of the leaked layout and fixing the scale so that everything lines up correctly at the seam does give us a bit longer coaster (red outline is what was existing, blue arrow is the corrected length). No huge difference, and not really relevant anymore given the info we got in the last few hours, but ... yea.

scale fix.png

Fixed 'leaked' layout:

KI layout fixed.PNG

• Like 10

This doesn't block future expansion. Notice the supports. You can tell where it doesn't reach the ground sometimes by looking at supports. The cement path that still exists will still be walk-able under that helix at the end too. Though connecting from the main X-base plaza will pose some awkward pathways for sure.

Also as someone else mentioned, the track will bank beyond 90* in at least 2 places.

I'm just hoping for at least 300' height straight below the highest point, and hoping for this to not have a nearly 100ft tall final brake. I think both can't be granted with this layout.

Otherwise, why does Kings Island continue to shade way less than 50% of their queues? This one will be packed with people and we still have only a couple of places with shade. (these places may not even be walked through once we get passed opening years).

• Like 4

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

Is there anything in the plans that gives away what kind of seating and/or restraint-system the trains for this will utilize? Or do we have to find that out at announcement time?

One photo showed 4 across seating. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, BSBMX said:

More I look at this, this won't be a DB 2.0. Almost every single turn on here, the safety boundary around the track overlaps the track itself, suggesting very steep banking. Some of these look overbanked, certainly at 90deg+, but hard to say at the moment. The trains will be flying thru every turn.

Below are turns in order with very steep banking. 

turn2.png

turn5.png

turn4.png

You nailed it. This is not gonna be DB2.0. And thanks for making and sharing those pictures, because it just saved me some work.

I wanted to share my thoughts on some of the elements on this coaster. I think before with the blurry overview, there was a misconception on what elements would be, and unfortunately, those seem to have stuck with the public. So, I want to give my opinion after seeing these detailed prints.

Picture 1: This is not a reverse treble clef. The top point is not on a straight section like it is on Fury, and there's no large gap between banking and turning. I think this turnaround is going to be a non-inverting cross of an overbank and a dive loop. If you can imagine what a normal dive loop would look like from an above view like this, the high point would be very similar to what we see on our blueprint. An element like this would also explain why, from a top view, the turn would appear to get sharper as it decreases in altitude (assumption based on moving away from an early high point). It's not taking a sharp turn, but a steep downward turn.

Picture 2: Now this looks really similar to the banked floating hill of Fury's treble cleft. While lacking the full turnaround that helped give Fury's element its name, this will still give us that amazing sideways airtime it's known for.

Picture 3: I don't think this will be the ampersand we see on Shambhala. It actually looks really similar to the helix on Apollo's Chariot. We have the entrance low point (745 ft) at the very start of the turn, and it seems that the curve is getting consistently tighter until we hit the top point (854 ft) nearly 360 degrees later. We then quickly drop while turning 135 degrees where we hit the bottom (747.5 ft) after leveling and straightening out. Now at 110 feet from low to high, I can see a little bit of ampersand influence, but if this were to be more like Shambhala's, I'd have expected to see the high point be closer to the middle of the helix. I expect something closer to Apollo's helix.

Of course, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this as well. That's the point of discussion afterall.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, TristinTargaryen said:

Honestly, with how ungrateful a lot of people are acting about this, I think you guys need to be reminded how fortunate KI is to get a coaster every three years. Do any of you remember the fact that the other parks like Dorney, Michigan’s Adventure, and World’s of Fun haven’t gotten anything of note in several years? KI is very spoiled to get so many new coasters in such a short time span, especially considering it’s proximity to Cedar Point. And the fact that they’ve added so much more to the park besides the coasters(like all the refurbishments this year), is something that not every park gets. Some of you need to grow up and realize that you can’t just have a 9,000ft coaster because you want it. Everyone’s been demanding a giga for years, and now you’ve finally gotten one but you’re going to complain it’s not good enough. Not to mention how disrespectful it is to the park itself that went out of their way to request this from Cedar Fair in the first place.

It's a business, not my pal.  I do not owe KI or CF anything (except what's left on the balance of my 2 platinum passes for my wife and I).  I am not bound to be loyal to them and never criticize them by any means.  I am reserving judgement until I ride this roller coaster, but it looks very disappointing to me.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• malem locked this topic