Decoding 2020

fryoj

3 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

This station has the roof of Invertigo, and the body of... I guess Firehawk's?
Looks like it'll fit in the area well.

I’ll reserve judgement for the station, it appears the people who are designing it are the same people who’ve done, Copperhead strike, Banshee & GateKeeper, they know what they’re doing.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

This doesn't block future expansion. Notice the supports. You can tell where it doesn't reach the ground sometimes by looking at supports. The cement path that still exists will still be walk-able under that helix at the end too. Though connecting from the main X-base plaza will pose some awkward pathways for sure.

Also as someone else mentioned, the track will bank beyond 90* in at least 2 places.

I'm just hoping for at least 300' height straight below the highest point, and hoping for this to not have a nearly 100ft tall final brake. I think both can't be granted with this layout.

Otherwise, why does Kings Island continue to shade way less than 50% of their queues? This one will be packed with people and we still have only a couple of places with shade. (these places may not even be walked through once we get passed opening years).

Per these blueprints from today and the already-released blueprints from the lift footings, there's ~286' between top of lift to the ground directly below (one of my previous posts from today explain this). Also, final brake run starts at about 81' feet off the ground, based on the heights of the footings directly below (shown below).

brake height.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

It's a business, not my pal.  I do not owe KI or CF anything (except what's left on the balance of my 2 platinum passes for my wife and I).  I am not bound to be loyal to them and never criticize them by any means.  I am reserving judgement until I ride this roller coaster, but it looks very disappointing to me.

thank you for saying this. im so sick of people thinking we cant be critical of this coaster. im a paying customer ( and i pay way more than the average pass holder) and im disappointed so far by this layout. i dont owe KI anything and KI isnt building this out of the goodness of their hearts. that being said i am still excited for it but very cautiously optimistic

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ben43065 said:

I’ll reserve judgement for the station, it appears the people who are designing it are the same people who’ve done, Copperhead strike, Banshee & GateKeeper, they know what they’re doing.

I said nothing negative lol

• Like 2

So what bogus record do you think they will try to claim with this thing. I know not every coaster is a record breaking, but I'm wondering. Just not seeing any legit records on this thing at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KevM86 said:

So what bogus record do you think they will try to claim with this thing. I know not every coaster is a record breaking, but I'm wondering. Just not seeing any legit records on this thing at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tallest and fastest coaster at Kings Island.

• Like 7

I think this thing will be amazing. The first overbanked hill you will be flying through. Diamondback has a 215 foot drop and its first hill is 193. This has a 301 foot drop and the first hill is 181.

That turnaround is going to be really interesting to see and massive at 188 feet. For comparison, Fury’s horseshoe turnaround is 153 feet and leviathan is 147 foot hammerhead turn. There might be a headchopper element as well as it passes back under the track.

The final helix/ampersand will be interesting as well but not as tall as I was expecting. I’ve read that shambhala’s ampersand is beautiful but not that forceful. Maybe this is smaller but more forceful.

This thing is going to be all about speed and banked turns. Should be a world class coaster in our backyard!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I’m guessing why the lift hill is not going to be taller than Fury 325 is because of the Warren County Airport that’s 20 minutes away from the park. Isn’t there a zoning height restriction for Mason because of that? Maybe that’s why the Eiffel Tower, Drop Tower, and WindSeeker aren’t any taller than they currently are now. Just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are ways around height restrictions...I mean if you think about it....Carowinds has Fury 325 that's directly under a flight path for the Charlotte Airport. 

I still think the reason that the coaster isn’t going to be taller than other gigacoasters, is because of the Warren County airport. I want to the zoning height restrictions are for the park because of that.

• Like 3

With what I've read and seen of the plans, the best thing about this sorry coaster is it should keep lines down for the other rides in the park. I think KI would have been better served with a dive or wing than the kmart coaster being built

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

I still think the reason that the coaster isn’t going to be taller than other gigacoasters, is because of the Warren County airport. I want to the zoning height restrictions are for the park because of that.

How close is it to the airport? This coaster could at least be as tall as the tower which is around 315 ft. if that logic is true? Right?

Side note I like that the queue is in-between the lift hill and break-run. But I will say, it's  going to be crowded back in that dead end that is X-Base for at least all of next year.

• Like 6

^^^^ Hot take asking for a coaster model generally less well received by enthusiasts than for the coaster model most people have been begging for KI to get.

The one thing I’m caught up on is that people are complaining about this, even though it’s a giga. A giga is a giga is a giga. I’m not saying criticism is a bad thing. As other have mentioned, CF and KI are a business. If you do not like what they are doing, you don’t have to be appreciative because you do pay for their product, being entertainment. On the same note though, the reason KI is getting this coaster is because CF believes there is potential to make more money with the coaster type and layout.

Also, considering a giga coaster is unlike most other coaster types, complaining about it is kinda strange to me. Is it the massive record breaker we all wanted? No. Is it a new coaster type and experience that KI doesn’t have? Yes. Gigas are about speed, which this ride seems to have an abundance of. Whether it is a top 10 coaster in the world or a massive flop is yet to be seen, but prematurely yelling gloom and doom will not change anything. These are the plans KI filed. This is the coaster KI chose to get. There is no use in complaining. Rather than that, why don’t we criticize it and explain what we are excited/disappointed about, as well as continue to figure out the things we do not know, such as theme, color, etc.

I love reading these comments and posting, but when more than half are complaining about this coaster without really saying why they’re complaining other than “This is the worst giga!!! We got screwed!!!” it really does get old very quickly.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Legion_SS said:

With what I've read and seen of the plans, the best thing about this sorry coaster is it should keep lines down for the other rides in the park. I think KI would have been better served with a dive or wing than the kmart coaster being built

BOOOO! I would have been so disappointed with either of these. I don't know many people who go to Cedar Point because they HAVE to ride GateKeeper and/or Valravn. They go for SV, TTD, and MF (not to mention the beautiful peninsula itself). Sure, they are good additions to add variety but I do not think you will see either of those coasters in peoples' top ten lists. Yet, you see Fury, Leviathon, MF, and I305 in MANY top ten lists. 

Just sayin...

• Like 5

Lol way to be grateful

• Like 2

1 minute ago, THE_BEASTmaster said:

The airport is 11 miles from the park.

"Both the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) have a rebuttable presumption not to build any antennae over 2,000 feet (610 m) above ground level. This is to prevent those structures from being a hazard to air navigation.[18][19] In recent years, the FAA has requested that height limits within 10,000 feet (3,000 m) of an airport runway be lowered from 250 feet (76 m) to 160 feet (49 m), as development near airports has increased."

Found that online. I don't think it has anyhting to do with the airport, but I'm not saying I'm right. 10,000ft is just a little under 2 miles. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

How close is it to the airport? This coaster could at least be as tall as the tower which is around 315 ft. if that logic is true? Right?

Kentucky Kingdom is literally across the highway from Louisville's airport, and one portion of the park had a 200' max build height. The closest airport to KI is about 11 miles away, so if they have a max build height, it's either way more then 325'ish, or dictated by something else other than the airport. 

• Like 5

Just now, Logan said:

Lol way to be grateful

The way people keep urging folks to be "grateful" is super weird to me. I like Kings Island, I want to see it be successful and at times Cedar Fair has made decisions that I'm really happy they made, but I'd never say I'm "Grateful" to them. More just cautiously optimistic that they won't screw it all up.

• Like 10

On 5/20/2019 at 7:58 PM, RuthlessAirtime said:

I'd be okay with the drop length matching or barely beating Fury's if they're truly using that ravine to get a longer drop.

If they're using it to lengthen the drop to just barely get a drop over 300 (like 305ft) and the true height is under 300ft, it will feel like a cheap Six Flags move to me. 

Dunno why you'd spend all that money just to have the actual height be barely under 300ft

In light of recent events

spacer.png

• Like 5

This site has come a long way in the speculation department. I remember all the ups and downs with the Diamondback thread back in the day. 

It’s pretty awesome that we have so many different walks of life helping out with knowledge. Architects, engineers, mathematicians. 

This ride may not be what some are expecting, and that’s okay. We’re all human! Personally, I’m just amazed to have something like this so close. We’ve got the whole summer still to go, and a lot still to uncover. Keep marching forward ladies and gents!

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, corn4ahead said:

I don't know many people who go to Cedar Point because they HAVE to ride GateKeeper and/or Valravn. They go for SV, TTD, and MF

Exactly-I went up last year and had my 1st experience of a dive and winged coasters. While they were both unique and awesome in their own way, they simply do not provide the 'WTF was that?!?' feeling of SV, MF, or TTD. Here's hoping that our new one is in a league with those last 3. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, HandsUp said:

Exactly-I went up last year and had my 1st experience of a dive and winged coasters. While they were both unique and awesome in their own way, they simply do not provide the 'WTF was that?!?' feeling of SV, MF, or TTD. Here's hoping that our new one is in a league with those last 3. 

Yeah, that's what I mean. I personally haven't been to KI since 2015 (now in NE OH, but grew up in Dayton), but I know even Mystic Timbers has that "fun" factor. I say that based on the many other GCIs I have been on. You just want to re-ride over and over again. I get that same feeling on MF, SV, TTD, to name a few.

However, like you said, Valravn and GK are cool rides. I like them, but I am satisfied with my trip to CP if I get to ride them once. If I only get 1 ride on SV, I am disappointed and don't feel fulfilled. Maybe I am just greedy though.

I guarantee, this will be one of those rides that you keep saying "ONE MORE RIDE!"

And as a side note, I just watched POVs from Leviathan and Fury. They each have a tunnel of some sort so I think there's a good chance this new Giga will as well. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, corn4ahead said:

Yeah, that's what I mean. I personally haven't been to KI since 2015 (now in NE OH, but grew up in Dayton), but I know even Mystic Timbers has that "fun" factor. I say that based on the many other GCIs I have been on. You just want to re-ride over and over again. I get that same feeling on MF, SV, TTD, to name a few.

However, like you said, Valravn and GK are cool rides. I like them, but I am satisfied with my trip to CP if I get to ride them once. If I only get 1 ride on SV, I am disappointed and don't feel fulfilled. Maybe I am just greedy though.

I guarantee, this will be one of those rides that you keep saying "ONE MORE RIDE!"

And as a side note, I just watched POVs from Leviathan and Fury. They each have a tunnel of some sort so I think there's a good chance this new Giga will as well. 

If you look at exiting the helix and below the first drop, the track and clearance envelope is dashed. My first thoughts is that is where the tunnel is. 

37F2AF24-3C73-4211-974F-19D8F3D422BA.jpeg

• Like 14

Anyone else notice a "NEW PROP. BUILDING" just in front of the station stairs?  Looks like the Fast Lane and regular lines both go through this building.  Interesting they use the term "building", which makes me think something possibly enclosed?  My reasoning, the "EXISTING LOCKER AREA" is open, and the "NEW STATION HOUSE" would be somewhat open.  Also notice how the "EXISTING RIDE PHOTO BUILDING" is getting reworked as an entrance to the ride.  

I'm really intrigued by what is going into the theme work for this ride.  

• Like 7

• malem locked this topic